Backing up save files is different this year (my early findings so far)

Dirty Cheater

Anybody know the proper save backup method this year? 

Was trying to figure this out with someone earlier and from what we can tell, it actually seems like copying the whole user folder works (the folder that contains the 2315690 folder) because you also need things out of the config folder and the 241100 folder; not just the 2315690 folder. 

So in total it seems like you have to DELETE and replace these 3 folders, which are all in the same steam user folder.  Delete them (because simply overwriting the folders won't actually remove the stuff that has to be removed) and paste the back ups that were all made at the same time, because they seem like they have to match up exactly or the game will start giving you the prompts as if it's your first time playing. 

When you make your back up copies of these folders (or the entire user folder that contains them) I suggest doing it during a time where the game IS NOT running because each folder is affected at a different time during game play and/or when shutting game down.

2315690 folder

241100 folder

config folder

You can delete and replace those three folders individually, or do what I did and just delete and paste a backup copy of the whole user folder that contains the 3 referenced folders above if you don't care about other game saves under that user also being reverted to that date.  I use this steam account exclusively for testing this game, so I don't know if this back up and restore method would mess with the saves from OTHER games or not.  As time passes hopefully we can narrow down things a little more specifically regarding saves.

If anyone finds anything more is needed (or less; perhaps we don't need all 3 folders?) please let me know! 

Edited by Dirty Cheater

• Dirty Cheater changed the title to Backing up save files is different this year (my early findings so far)
  • 2 weeks later...

So when i delete those files, the game reloads them when i launch the game, any way to stop that?

I'm not sure if I follow.  What you should be doing is:  1) Deleting the folders I mentioned,  2) Pasting your back ups of those folders where they should be.

Don't just delete stuff and run the game or it'll be the same as starting a brand new save from zero.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Dirty Cheater, this is a topic I have a significant interest in because I wanted to make separate saves with different CAWS representing different wrestling eras and promotions. Last year, it was so easy to back up a save but this year seems to be more complicated. I actually lost my save yesterday trying to use last year's process to back up my save. Basically, I was ending up with a black screen with just button prompts at the bottom or I lost the ability to be able to access any part of the game that had to do with my CAWS I had downloaded. So I'm looking for a surefire way to be able to back up multiple saves. What I don't like is that if I try your method, it could possibly mess with my saves from other games. I do appreciate the heads up on that though.

In the meantime, I'm just going to work with the 100 slots on one save and wait to see how the modding scene develops for this year's game.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed wwe2k24 on the main pc of my house, sub pc of my bedroom, and laptop all. The save file was initialized today in the process of installing 1.06 patches on my laptop and updating the previous 1.05 save file. At the same time, the main pc and sub pc were also linked to Steam, so all three units were initialized. I tried to recover it to a file that I had backed up in advance as the tip here, but after entering the main menu, if I went into a one-on-one match, it didn't go any further on the game screen on the black screen. After rolling back the game version of the subpc to 1.05, the existing save file was restored, but some of the caw and show introduction screens were damaged. If the cursor is moved to those caw and show, the game shuts down.
As a result, it seems impossible to fully recover the corrupted save files even if you back them up. I've lost all the records I've played. I've become disillusioned with this game. I don't want to play it for a while...