Mods Randomly Turning Off

americanpsycho138

I'm not sure what is going on. I had to downgrade to the 1.20 version to re-enable mods and, ever since that was done a few weeks ago, my mods randomly disable until I re-bake everything with Caketools. I can load the game and everything will be fine and show like it's supposed to but sometimes, when I exit and re-open the game later or if the game crashes for any reason, the mods will have disabled themselves. It doesn't happen all of time, but frequently enough that it's become a bother. It's a pain to have to wait at least a half hour for everything to bake all the time when I just want to play the game. Has anyone else come across this and, if so, is there a fix for this?

Do you let your computer basically stay on 24/7, only going into sleep/hibernate mode when you aren't using it?  If so, and it's been on since you had 1.21 on your system, try doing a full shutdown of your computer.  Maybe some of the intrusive garbage from 1.21 is somehow still running weeks later if you never restarted?  Just a guess.

Edited by Dirty Cheater
  • Like 1

I shut down my PC basically every time I'm not on it, so it gets rebooted everyday. I downgraded a couple weeks back, right after someone said that you could do that to get mods working again. It's just become more of a nuisance since baking takes like a half hour now since I've added a lot more mods.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this will help anyone else out, especially this late in the game, but I figured out that it had something to do with switching Steam offline and online. I had gotten increasingly paranoid with that new update before there was a workaround for the update. Apparently, switching Steam back and forth from online mode and offline mode will turn the mods off until you bake them again.