Real-time Moveset Editor (assign any move in any slot) via Cheat Engine? *discontinued for public release but still available to anyone upon request*

Dirty Cheater

Ladies, gentlemen, and aliens...  I decided to start working on a unique spin on editing movesets today.  If anybody has seen my other work, you may have noticed I like making it so you can edit things while highlighting somebody in the menu... for example my scripts for changing somebody's height or weight class while you're looking at them in character select before a match.  I just really like the idea of doing it in real time while I'm looking at them in the game, ya know?

Well I got to thinking it would be cool to just go into the game and edit somebody's moveset like that. Just going to view the moves that are presently assigned in a slot and using CE to select new moves one by one as you highlight each.  Very simple, and you get to see the move animations you're assigning since you're right in that menu already anyway!

It's an early work in progress and I could use some help testing it, and also some help confirming the full list of move IDs that I'm currently working with (2657 moves already included in the dropdown menu!) to make sure they're correct, and also adding team moves and other possible actions into the list that aren't normally selectable.  In the future, if all goes well, this script may also evolve into allowing quick editing of finishing moves and signatures on the fly during match setup... and may also even be able to expand into having more than 2 finishers during a match via hotkey swapping!  TONS of possibilities opening up!

It's still in very early stages so I don't want to post it publicly yet, but I'd like as many people as possible to try it out privately with me and help make sure it's working right!  Let me know if you'd like to try it and I'll send you it ASAP!

Update: It turns out the game will ignore and/or erase the custom moves you assign unless the cheat engine script is left running all the time, even all future instances where you turn the game on for any reason even just for a couple minutes.  For this reason, I don't think it makes sense to release it as a public script because of the insanely high likelihood that people will run into situations where hours of work customizing their movesets are just gone because they forgot to turn on the script one day.  I'll still share it with people upon private request, but at least now you know what you're getting into lol.  It's a "handle with care" item for sure.

Edited by Dirty Cheater
  • Like 1

Great progress here!  Just wanted to update everyone on the findings we've had so far with Cheat Engine moveset editor.  We have both bad news and good news...

1. Unfortunately, it turns out 2k has implemented a "checker" during matches that will sabotage most or all of the edited moves and replace them with generics during the match, basically ignoring the customizations we made.  When investigating the raw coding of that moveset after a match, it still had the custom modified moves in it.  This confirmed 2k added code to "ignore" moves that get put in slots the game doesn't want them in.  This issus has been FIXED!  But obviously requires Cheat Engine to be running during matches to disable that line of code in the game.

2. Like the above issue, the game also was removing the custom move entries when you'd open up somebody's moves in moveset editor in the game.  It seems like a 2 step problem where 1) The game will first ignore your custom moves in a match so then 2) when you go investigate that person's moveset now it removes the custom moves as soon as you open that person's moves in the moveset editor!   For example if you had previously given AJ Styles the Ladder Finisher Suplex as a standing grapple, next time you open his moveset in the game the game will REMOVE it from that slot!!!  Again, this issue has been FIXED but obviously requires CE to already be running to protect the edited movesets when you open them up in the game.

3. Some environmental finishers don't work well in the signature/finisher slots.  For example, the top of the ladder suplex finisher (and all the finishers from on top of a ladder) will FAIL to show the sig/fin prompt during a match if you're standing in front of somebody on the ground.  You'd HAVE to actually go to the top of the ladder to be in the right position for the sig/fin prompt to show.  The workaround for this would be to place the ladder finisher into any normal standing grapple slot and then it will work ANYWHERE you're standing and is absolutely awesome!  The impact is crazy, and they even send people out of the ring if you're near the ropes!  The ladder finishers as normal grapple moves, so far, are the most fun thing I've found this year.

4. While you're injecting the new move with CE, the move animation might not play correctly in the game as soon as you do it.  You might need to click "practice play" and try the move that way to see how it will really function during a match.  Some moves, when put in some situations that are unnatural to them, end up doing very crazy things!  Some of them are pretty cool effects.  Practice Play is SUPER handy to use while editing the moves.

Anyone else that wants to help test this stuff out early, let me know!  It's actually a lot of fun once you get the hang of how the editor works!

tl;dr:  A lot of the crazy and fun things you'd expect from a moveset editor all seem to work great again this year during matches, BUT cheat engine is required to be running at all times to stop the game from ignoring your custom movesets during matches (then removing the custom moves when you open the moveset back up to investigate)!

Edited by Dirty Cheater

• Dirty Cheater changed the title to Real-time Moveset Editor (assign any move in any slot) via Cheat Engine? Project details and progress report as of October 28. More testers ARE welcome if you want to try it out early!
  • 2 weeks later...

So here's the situation with the custom moveset editor...

I don't think at this time I will be releasing a public version because of how the game is programmed to sabotage/overwrite any custom movesets every chance it gets unless the script it kept on.  It 100% means that once you edit moves you'd ALWAYS need this script running at all times while the game is on.  Every time you turn it on.  Otherwise, even just loading 1 match in the game without the script activated will result in custom moves being replaced by generics.  Then as soon as the game auto-saves, you'll have to do all the work again of assigning your custom moves.  Other actions, such as opening the moveset editor, also revert those custom assigned moves if the script is not turned on first.  There could be even more spots than what I have found.

For me, I always have CE auto attach to the game as soon as it starts and I activate a lot of scripts right at the opening credits.  So for me it's been OK since I always have it loaded.  My custom moves from the early tests a few weeks ago are all still intact!

If anyone still wants to try it out despite this unfortunate news, you're welcome to.  Just send me a message.  You're aware of the risks and know you will need to keep it on at ALL times from now on so you can try it if you really want.  I just don't think I trust this situation enough to justify this as a public release.  I know some people would end up being very upset after all that time and effort assigning custom moves, only to have some (maybe all) things reverted when they forget to turn the script on just 1 time for a couple minutes, ya know?

Edited by Dirty Cheater

• Dirty Cheater changed the title to Real-time Moveset Editor (assign any move in any slot) via Cheat Engine? *discontinued for public release but still available to anyone upon request*