Coming back to modding - save query

LordBarker

Howdy all

I havent had a gaming PC in a couple of years and with the prices starting to receed somewhat I've got a gaming laptop on the way. I have my original heavily modded 2K19 fully backed up. Regarding my save file can I just copy it into the folder on Steam? As I have a feeling this corrupted the save when I did it before or it wouldn't load. I might be misremembering, but just want to prepare for disappointment if it doesn't work. Cheers 

45 minutes ago, LordBarker said:

Howdy all

I havent had a gaming PC in a couple of years and with the prices starting to receed somewhat I've got a gaming laptop on the way. 

Nice. Which laptop did you get and what are it's specs?

45 minutes ago, LordBarker said:

I have my original heavily modded 2K19 fully backed up. Regarding my save file can I just copy it into the folder on Steam? As I have a feeling this corrupted the save when I did it before or it wouldn't load. I might be misremembering, but just want to prepare for disappointment if it doesn't work. Cheers 

Yes, it should work.

Here are step-by-step instructions what to do (don't skip any):

1. First fully install the game on the new Laptop via Steam with all the DLC.
2. Run the game once.
3. Switch Steam to Offline mode and let it restart until it's in offline mode.
4. Exit Steam completely.
5. Completely Delete the new save (if there is one).
6. Copy your old save over to the location where the old one was.
7.  Delete your freshly installed game folder (or just move it entirely to a backup location outside the game folder as it's always good to have a backup of the vanilla game files).
8. Copy over your fully modded game folder from your old computer.
9. Start Steam again still in Offline mode.
10. Start the game.
11. Everthing should be working modded now.
12. Save the game (change something for a Wrestler) so the save game's save date gets updated and you should be good to go.

More Info on the Create Backups wiki entry.

By the way, I'd suggest not to install Steam in the default C:\Program Files... folders but install Steam on a separate partition instead if you have one (Like G:\Games\Steam\ or whatever), as it should prevent potential issues caused by permissions and/or encryption.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cave Waverider said:

Nice. Which laptop did you get and what are it's specs?

Yes, it should work.

Here are step-by-step instructions what to do (don't skip any):

1. First fully install the game on the new Laptop via Steam with all the DLC.
2. Run the game once.
3. Switch Steam to Offline mode and let it restart until it's in offline mode.
4. Exit Steam completely.
5. Completely Delete the new save (if there is one).
6. Copy your old save over to the location where the old one was.
7.  Delete your freshly installed game folder (or just move it entirely to a backup location outside the game folder as it's always good to have a backup of the vanilla game files).
8. Copy over your fully modded game folder from your old computer.
9. Start Steam again still in Offline mode.
10. Start the game.
11. Everthing should be working modded now.
12. Save the game (change something for a Wrestler) so the save game's save date gets updated and you should be good to go.

More Info on the Create Backups wiki entry.

By the way, I'd suggest not to install Steam in the default C:\Program Files... folders but install Steam on a separate partition instead if you have one (Like G:\Games\Steam\ or whatever), as it should prevent potential issues caused by permissions and/or encryption.

Thanks for such a detailed response mate. 

I traded my Series X for an HP Ryzen 4800h 16gb ram, 1660Ti (it's the max q version a little limited.) I do have the option to trade it up with a friend for a 5800h and full power 3060 RTX for a couple of hundred pounds so may actually do that 😀 I'm guessing the 1660 ti will be enough though, but might want the extra oomph of the 3060. 

3 hours ago, LordBarker said:

Thanks for such a detailed response mate. 

I traded my Series X for an HP Ryzen 4800h 16gb ram, 1660Ti (it's the max q version a little limited.) I do have the option to trade it up with a friend for a 5800h and full power 3060 RTX for a couple of hundred pounds so may actually do that 😀 I'm guessing the 1660 ti will be enough though, but might want the extra oomph of the 3060. 

Go for it, that 5800h and especially the 3060 will be a huge boost in performance and last you much longer. :)

• Too Sweet 1