Curious about the future possibilities of modding in 2k22.

ArgoRAFTEnjoyer

I'm wondering how deep someone can go when it comes to creating mods. Can I modify AI behavior? Or add new moves to the moves list? Could I make my own move animations and add them to the game without overwriting existing ones? I want to say the answer to the second and third questions is no, because even adding music the 2k19 required overwriting existing tracks. I'd love to be wrong though.

The reason I ask is because while I am really enjoying 2k22, certain aspects of the core gameplay really annoy me. So much so that I'm considering learning how to mod games just to fix the issues myself. If the AI decides to go to the top rope fifteen times in one match again when I'm wrestling someone like the Undertaker or Hulk Hogan, I might go a little nuts. Fixing breakers so everyone isn't doing that back kick all the time would be on the list, as well as changing some of the messed up reversals (Hulk Hogan should not be doing a headscissor takedown, lol). I also miss weapon grapples, especially with RVD finally coming to a WWE game for the first time in a while. I need that Van Terminator (and other chair moves he's known for). I'd be willing to animate it myself.

I just would like to know if any of this is theoretically possible. I have experience in graphic design and animation, a little coding for mobile apps, but I've never looked into modding.

Edited by ArgoRAFTEnjoyer

12 hours ago, ArgoRAFTEnjoyer said:

I'm wondering how deep someone can go when it comes to creating mods. Can I modify AI behavior? Or add new moves to the moves list? Could I make my own move animations and add them to the game without overwriting existing ones? I want to say the answer to the second and third questions is no, because even adding music the 2k19 required overwriting existing tracks. I'd love to be wrong though.

The reason I ask is because while I am really enjoying 2k22, certain aspects of the core gameplay really annoy me. So much so that I'm considering learning how to mod games just to fix the issues myself. If the AI decides to go to the top rope fifteen times in one match again when I'm wrestling someone like the Undertaker or Hulk Hogan, I might go a little nuts. Fixing breakers so everyone isn't doing that back kick all the time would be on the list, as well as changing some of the messed up reversals (Hulk Hogan should not be doing a headscissor takedown, lol). I also miss weapon grapples, especially with RVD finally coming to a WWE game for the first time in a while. I need that Van Terminator (and other chair moves he's known for). I'd be willing to animate it myself.

I just would like to know if any of this is theoretically possible. I have experience in graphic design and animation, a little coding for mobile apps, but I've never looked into modding.

Hi,

There is a limit when it comes to modding these games. We can only work with what has been put in place by the developer and within the limits of the game's code.

We haven't been able to mod AI behavior as the data is quite complicated and previous attempts in the past have led to other issues or undesirable results. 

It is much more difficult to add items to the game's menu without replacing with the file structure implemented since 2k20 , unlike previous games before then.

You also cannot animate moves and add it to the game. Moves require additional files to make them wotk in gameplay. The only thing you might be able to motion capture is the base animation but that alone will not work in gameplay. Also bear in mind that since they have moved over to motion captures rather than the hand crafted motions used in the SVR games, its much more diifficult to hack move animations. Its not like  it was when modding data in the SVR series.

You wouldn't be able top add any moves to 2k22 as the files you might probably want to bring over from other games isn't compatible. basically any motions from 2k20 and previous can't be ported over to 2k22 as its like an entirely new game in many respects. Visual Concepts breaking their partnership with Yukes a few years ago has meant having to recreate a lot of assets using new tools.

Edited by BlindedByTheGrace
  • Like 1

Although definitely @BlindedByTheGrace is a guru but I will give slightly more margin to partial compatibility but one thing that makes his statement a lot stronger is related to some bone movements. I have noticed some bone movements are a lot more improved in wwe 2k22 and the huge size difference that caused some moves look funny are handled a lot better .And just like they added an extra bone in face for  2k20 and made expression data useless in wwe 2k19 I think yes there is a possibility they have changed rigging somewhat. But that's not my domain so take it as a layman rambling.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information. I knew those were some longshots. Looks like I'll have to hope the devs fix some of these things on their own. Very frustrating considering they are so close to having a great game that could satisfy both the arcade and sim-style crowds, but they ended up falling short in a lot of areas. I was hoping modding could help push it over the line. I won't hold my breath for 2k/VC to make any significant changes, so it is what it is. Maybe I'll take all of that motivation and submit a bunch of tickets to 2k to try and annoy them into fixing some of the more minor issues (AI problems, collision detection, turning off auto-rope break resulting in no rope breaks at all, etc). What a shame.

Still a pretty great time if I'm playing cruiserweight matches or some indie fed stuff, but seeing Hogan and Andre pulling off headscissor takedowns and obsessively going to the top rope just isn't my cup of tea.

Edited by ArgoRAFTEnjoyer

On 3/14/2022 at 2:14 AM, BlindedByTheGrace said:

Hi,

There is a limit when it comes to modding these games. We can only work with what has been put in place by the developer and within the limits of the game's code.

We haven't been able to mod AI behavior as the data is quite complicated and previous attempts in the past have led to other issues or undesirable results. 

It is much more difficult to add items to the game's menu without replacing with the file structure implemented since 2k20 , unlike previous games before then.

You also cannot animate moves and add it to the game. Moves require additional files to make them wotk in gameplay. The only thing you might be able to motion capture is the base animation but that alone will not work in gameplay. Also bear in mind that since they have moved over to motion captures rather than the hand crafted motions used in the SVR games, its much more diifficult to hack move animations. Its not like  it was when modding data in the SVR series.

You wouldn't be able top add any moves to 2k22 as the files you might probably want to bring over from other games isn't compatible. basically any motions from 2k20 and previous can't be ported over to 2k22 as its like an entirely new game in many respects. Visual Concepts breaking their partnership with Yukes a few years ago has meant having to recreate a lot of assets using new tools.

Hey old friend.  I'd like to have a chat about this.  Send me a message please.  Its not allowing me to msg you for some reason.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 10:14 AM, BlindedByTheGrace said:

So there's no chance to port entrance and Victory motion from past games ? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tich said:

So there's no chance to port entrance and Victory motion from past games ? 

Hi,

Very unlikely. Even 2k20 motions arent working in 2k22 from tests so far. They've changed the format for the new game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlindedByTheGrace said:

Hi,

Very unlikely. Even 2k20 motions arent working in 2k22 from tests so far. They've changed the format for the new game.

Thanks for the answer.

Damn, won't be the same without all ported entrance, victory and moves, at least if we can port wrestlers and arena, it's the most important thing but still sucks.

Well looks like 2k19 won't stop to be launched on my pc.