WWE Mod situation is not good

NXNDJ

as the title suggests, most of the files are grouped into "Bakedfile(number) . CAK" apart from sounds that are listed as pck, can't seem to use the existing 2k19 sound editor for it either. Just an FYI for the modders here on that one, obviously you guys feel free to rip it open like a can of pringles as my knowledge is limited here

{EDIT} existing sound editor will sort of work, it can open the selections but hardly any of them are labelled and can't be previewed so there's no way of knowing what is being edited/replaced

[EDIT EDIT] I put this post out there day 1 of early access, a lot has changed since then and this community is incredible at cracking it all open

Edited by NXNDJ
new information

Damn that sucks just like the 2k20 files were like that,looks likes since yukes are not apart of making the game they changed all the files smh damn wanted the fiend back in the game we will figure the files out we always do.

• Like 1

That is too bad about mods as it seems they fixed a lot of the issues from 2K20 and I do like some of the gameplay changes from the videos the devs have posted so I was hoping 2K22 might be able to become the ultimate version of the series kind of like 2K19 was thanks to modding.

The one plus at least for the PC gamers now is that the community creations are supposed to be cross platform so a lot of those great console creations will be able to be downloaded on PC. 

It will be interesting to see what happens with the series though since this is the last contracted 2K game and the WWE has supposedly been talking with EA again recently. 

15 hours ago, NXNDJ said:

{EDIT} existing sound editor will sort of work, it can open the selections but hardly any of them are labelled and can't be previewed so there's no way of knowing what is being edited/replaced

It may be that the game uses a newer version of WWISE or something to that extent.

Try to install the latest version of WWISE, point Sound Editor's settings to that and see if it works.

It could of course be that the format of the .pck files has changed too much for Sound Editor 2019 to work.

• Like 1

So this isnt really true the modders are working hard on it but it requires making new tools its legit been out a day give it time folks.

2 hours ago, thebrianwright said:

So this isnt really true the modders are working hard on it but it requires making new tools its legit been out a day give it time folks.

This 10000%! The  DLC looks promising and there's so much to do in the game this year. I have no issue waiting it out. 

On 3/7/2022 at 3:14 PM, NXNDJ said:

as the title suggests, most of the files are grouped into "Bakedfile(number) . CAK" apart from sounds that are listed as pck, can't seem to use the existing 2k19 sound editor for it either. Just an FYI for the modders here on that one, obviously you guys feel free to rip it open like a can of pringles as my knowledge is limited here

It seems that the .cak files are different than they were in 2K20, as well. The program Cake Tools, which worked perfectly for 2K20 files, can't seem to open them at all.

Anyone know of another method to open .cak files? 

45 minutes ago, DexPac said:

It seems that the .cak files are different than they were in 2K20, as well. The program Cake Tools, which worked perfectly for 2K20 files, can't seem to open them at all.

Anyone know of another method to open .cak files? 

yes. you sit patiently until the 2k22 stuff gets figured out

11 minutes ago, mattfick said:

yes. you sit patiently until the 2k22 stuff gets figured out

I was just wondering if maybe there was another tool besides Cake Tools for opening .cak files and maybe that one would be worth a try. Not asking someone to magically whip me up a new program. If I came off as an impatient dick, it wasn't on purpose.

28 minutes ago, DexPac said:

I was just wondering if maybe there was another tool besides Cake Tools for opening .cak files and maybe that one would be worth a try. Not asking someone to magically whip me up a new program. If I came off as an impatient dick, it wasn't on purpose.

no, there isnt. feel free to help or be patient, the game isnt even out globally yet. 

My issue is that modders had 3 and half years to crack open 2k19 and we have still been making new discoveries and opening up new options on that game—even really recently. It doesn't seem like we ever made anything close to as much headway on any other game and might never again. Since the game comes out every year, it seems like all previous progress just gets dropped in favor of the newest game. For that reason, I think I would kind of rather see modders port over the entrances and character models from 2k22 to 2k19 rather than spend their time beating their heads against the brick wall of a game with an unfriendly file structure.

I'm sure that's not a popular opinion.

Edited by rynebrandon
  • Like 3
  • Yes! 1

3 hours ago, mattfick said:

no, there isnt. feel free to help or be patient, the game isnt even out globally yet. 

I can confirm, it is out globally now. I legit got the deluxe edition on steam for like 10 USD here in Turkey.
Edit: I just checked right now, and they changed the price from 10 USD to 50 USD here in Turkey.

• What? 1

2 hours ago, rynebrandon said:

My issue is that modders had 3 and half years to crack open 2k19 and we have still been making new discoveries and opening up new options on that game—even really recently. It doesn't seem like we ever made anything close to as much headway on any other game and might never again. Since the game comes out every year, it seems like all previous progress just gets dropped in favor of the newest game. For that reason, I think I would kind of rather see modders port over the entrances and character models from 2k22 to 2k19 rather than spend their time beating their heads against the brick wall of a game with an unfriendly file structure.

I'm sure that's not a popular opinion.

I think if 2k20 wasn't a bug filled mess they would have been further and in fact with most game modification you discover new things years down the line sometimes. And honestly why would they have wanted to mod a game that crashed after every match just about.

There's headway being made on this front. I'd venture to say modding would virtually be better and easier without the old Yukes YOBJ limitations. You'd see much higher poly, higher quality mods being put into the game. It's really a matter of figuring it all out. Game hasn't official reach it's street date release yet but I feel there's a good team assembled to get this handled this year.

• Like 1

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that the legitimately smart wrestling fans are among the most intelligent and determined people I've ever known.

If they want to be able to mod the game, those people are going to figure out how to mod the game.

Give it time.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ObsoleteRipZz said:

There's headway being made on this front. I'd venture to say modding would virtually be better and easier without the old Yukes YOBJ limitations. You'd see much higher poly, higher quality mods being put into the game. It's really a matter of figuring it all out. Game hasn't official reach it's street date release yet but I feel there's a good team assembled to get this handled this year.

But the biggest issue is we have 3+ years of quality and in some case once in a lifetime modded wrestler, who all are going to get lost in the abyss.  It isnt even so much the time it takes to figure out the modding; it's the time it takes for the mod community to produce all the modded wrestlers everyone wants.

WWE 2k mod community has always been small, and scarce. And b/c of that a lot of the modders try to take advantage of that by charging, hiding tools behind paywalls and generally demanding this level of subterfuge with fees, passwords, and weaponizing popular mods to curb favor and appeal.  No other mod community does any of this like WWE community does.  b/c of that, forward progress will always be slow and stifling.  So unless someone cracks something miraculous that allows us to transfer 2k19 with ease. the mod community might not even take off until 2023 if even at all. And hopefully they don't change up the files.  I mean isn't that kind of what happened to 2k19. 16 17 and 18 modders were getting their feet wet, and by the time 2k19 came out; all 2k16-2k18 mods were transferable to 2k19 to give it a robust catalog to get started on.

4 hours ago, xthegame said:

But the biggest issue is we have 3+ years of quality and in some case once in a lifetime modded wrestler, who all are going to get lost in the abyss.  It isnt even so much the time it takes to figure out the modding; it's the time it takes for the mod community to produce all the modded wrestlers everyone wants.

This exactly. I had been on the periphery of the modding community for years but it seemed like both the quality and quantity of the modded wrestlers was really thin. You would get this super scattershot selection where there would be, like, 5 versions of Virgil for reason (not exactly but someone equally obscure), and, like, 0 Okadas or Omegas (people at that level). For that reason, it never seemed worth it to make the jump. With 2k19, we've had three a half years of fantastic non-WWE creations and it would be such a shame to lose all of it.

It may well be that 2k19 character models are still usable in 2k22, but I tend to doubt it. If not, I don't plan on moving on.  

Edited by rynebrandon

15 hours ago, xthegame said:

WWE 2k mod community has always been small, and scarce. And b/c of that a lot of the modders try to take advantage of that by charging, hiding tools behind paywalls and generally demanding this level of subterfuge with fees, passwords, and weaponizing popular mods to curb favor and appeal.  No other mod community does any of this like WWE community does.  b/c of that, forward progress will always be slow and stifling.  So unless someone cracks something miraculous that allows us to transfer 2k19 with ease. the mod community might not even take off until 2023 if even at all. And hopefully they don't change up the files.  I mean isn't that kind of what happened to 2k19. 16 17 and 18 modders were getting their feet wet, and by the time 2k19 came out; all 2k16-2k18 mods were transferable to 2k19 to give it a robust catalog to get started on.

Well I will say, everyone involved in the team currently assembled between Smacktalks and ProWrestlingMods have never released a paywalled tool and that's not the attentions of it currently as well. I think the current landscape of the community is much better than it was say 3-5 years ago. A lot more people want to advance it forward than make money which is definitely a great thing. As far as old models it isn't drag and drop like it was for 15-19 but the port process isn't a hard task for most modders. You will see a good amount of content once tools are available

• Like 3

Great to hear....I'm still on the fence between buying PS5 vs PC version.  I don't care how long it takes to mod, just wondering if it looks any more promising today? If it looks promising i'll pull the trigger on PC

• Like 1

are there any other games that use the cake format that are being modded maybe we can visit there sights for tools that would help here

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 9:31 PM, ObsoleteRipZz said:

Well I will say, everyone involved in the team currently assembled between Smacktalks and ProWrestlingMods have never released a paywalled tool and that's not the attentions of it currently as well. I think the current landscape of the community is much better than it was say 3-5 years ago. A lot more people want to advance it forward than make money which is definitely a great thing. As far as old models it isn't drag and drop like it was for 15-19 but the port process isn't a hard task for most modders. You will see a good amount of content once tools are available

If a tool comes out that will allow all interested to build, and even work off previous content. The community will boom. But was it xtool or w.e. that was the only tool available for 80% of the time. I think it wasnt until pre 2k20 that a free alternative released.  But i commend smacktalks and prowrestlingmods bc they did force out the paywall and ad.fly gimmicks mucking things up.

On 3/11/2022 at 3:31 AM, ObsoleteRipZz said:

I paid for a modding tool here a few years ago, as far as i remember he was asked by yukes or whoever it was to remove any monetisation from the tool, it wasn't much, was like £5.99 it was the one were you could download most mods from here easily, was around wwe 2k16 or 17, i'm not complaining though, it was very handy and didn't mind paying

Edited by GS1981

On 3/10/2022 at 10:31 PM, ObsoleteRipZz said:

I really appreciate the efforts to improve the community.  I admit, I tried to get involved around that time years ago too and couldn't get into it.  I feel like 2k19 had that sweet spot with great, friendly modders and tools being developed to crack the game open.  That being said, I seem to remember somewhere that 2k20 was nearly impossible to mod as far as adding new characters because pofo's wouldn't save in the memory when added.  Do you anticipate that being a similar barrier this year? 

On 3/10/2022 at 6:26 AM, xthegame said:

People stayed modding 2k14 for a few years after the next gen games came out like 2k15 etc.   Did a pretty massive legends project on it as well.   The 2k19 modding community will also continue on.   There are alot of great tools and a huge catalogue of mods.   So it will be good either way.  

• Like 6