Performance with multiple GPUs

stebbinsd

I plan on playing WWE 2k18 on PC.

My current rig is thus:

AMD FX-8350
10GB DDR3 Memory
Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 TI

According to Game-Debate.com, I should expect very low performance from this rig, with my GPU providing the bottleneck.

However, what if I added an Nvidia Geforce GTX 560TI graphics card in addition to my 750TI? I have two PCI 16 slots on my motherboard, so I can certainly accommodate a second graphics card if I need to.

But would that be enough to get me up to acceptable framerates? I'd like to know before I drop the cash on a card that won't solve my dilemma.

Game-Debate does not allow me to specify what my second GPU is. It gives me the option to say I'm using multiple GPUs, but it does not let me say what my secondary GPU is. That's why I'm asking here.

8 hours ago, stebbinsd said:

I plan on playing WWE 2k18 on PC.

My current rig is thus:

AMD FX-8350
10GB DDR3 Memory

According to Game-Debate.com, I should expect very low performance from this rig, with my GPU providing the bottleneck.

However, what if I added an Nvidia Geforce GTX 560TI graphics card in addition to my 750TI? I have two PCI 16 slots on my motherboard, so I can certainly accommodate a second graphics card if I need to.

But would that be enough to get me up to acceptable framerates? I'd like to know before I drop the cash on a card that won't solve my dilemma.

Game-Debate does not allow me to specify what my second GPU is. It gives me the option to say I'm using multiple GPUs, but it does not let me say what my secondary GPU is. That's why I'm asking here.

You cant run SLI with 2 different model GPUs. they have to be the same.

In my experience SLI is a pain in the ass, you are always better with 1 top end GPU rather than 2 mid range GPUs. Plus in SLI the GPUs render alternate frames so if you have 2x 2GB cards you only have 2GB video memory not 4GB.

Also you are dependant on the game supporting multiple GPUs (lots dont) and you have to wait for Nvidia to release an SLI profile for that game for it to work.

Ditch your 750TI and get a 1050 or better

I think that you just should get a better GPU, I know that you can get some cheap AMD cards that can do the job, or a 1050/1060 like said above.

11 hours ago, stebbinsd said:

IndeeI plan on playing WWE 2k18 on PC.

My current rig is thus:

AMD FX-8350
10GB DDR3 Memory

As others have said, you can't SLI two different cards. They have to be the same (usually even down to the vBIOS version). Also, ideally they should be the same manufacturer, model type, revision or even the same batch, as sometimes over the batches cards change memory type/speed/latency which can cause synchronization problems and lead to big stutter.
In theory, you could use multi-GPU setups with mixed cards with DirectX12 games (WWE 2k series uses DirectX 11, so it isn't relevant for it), if the game/engine developer has coded support for it, which is very unlikely (The only game I know that has it implemented this way is Ashes of the Singularity) due to the complexity of it.
That said, I believe the Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti doesn't support SLI at all, as Nvidia has dropped SLI support on low-end models for quite some time, so you can't buy another 750 Ti to increase your performance.

Also keep in mind that games supporting multi-GPU setups has greatly diminished in recent years (it always required lots of tinkering with driver profiles to get right) and you often can't get modern games to support SLI/Crossfire at all, even with driver hacks. Especially with low-level APIs like DirectX12 and Vulkan the GPU manufacturer can't do anything about it since it requires the game/engine developer to do all the coding for it, and most game developers are usually not knowledgable enough about the hardware nor do they think it's worth investing time in it, especially when it comes to quick, relatively cheap console ports that are prevalent these days, since consoles don't support multi-GPU rendering either. In addition, a very small amount of PC users is using Multi-GPU setups anyhow, so most developers don't deem multi GPU support feasible.
On a side note, SLI and Crossfire work fine with WWE 2k17, WWE 2k16 and WWE 2k15, although you have to create your own profiles for it (they might also work with WWE 2k18, although we won't know until someone tests it - for the first time since before the 3dfx Voodoo 2 days in the late 90s I no longer own any multi-GPU setups from either brand as I have moved on to single GPU solutions on both my Desktop and my Laptop, so I won't be able to test these this year). As someone that has used multi GPU setups for so long and have only recently switched to a single GPU setup, I sadly can't recommend a multi-GPU setup in good concience these days. Instead I'd recommend getting the fastest single GPU you can afford.

Your best bet is to get a new video card, for this game, I'd recommend at least an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB or AMD Radeon RX480 8GB to be able to play reliably at 1920x1080 (FHD) at decent details. The bare minimum would likely be a GeForce GTX 1050 (Ti), although I wouldn't recommend getting a video card with less than 6GB or better 8GB of video memory these days. An Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB or AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 would be ideal for high details at a resolution with 1920x1080 (Full HD) for WWE games and many others (if you can get a used GTX 970 or 980 cheap that should also be fine), if you can afford it, if you want to play at 2560x1440 (WQHD) I'd recommend an Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB or maybe Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti 8GB or AMD Radeon RX 64. For 3840x2160 (UHD) resolution I'd recommend at least a GTX 1080 Ti, Titan X (Pascal), Titan Xp or Radeon RX Vega 64 (two GTX 1080s in SLI should also work, but I can't recommend it due to the hassle and unreliability with Multi-GPU setups these days).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cave Waverider said:

As others have said, you can't SLI two different cards. They have to be the same (usually even down to the vBIOS version). Also, ideally they should be the same manufacturer, model type, revision or even the same batch, as sometimes over the batches cards change memory type/speed/latency which can cause synchronization problems and lead to big stutter.
In theory, you could use multi-GPU setups with mixed cards with DirectX12 games (WWE 2k series uses DirectX 11, so it isn't relevant for it), if the game/engine developer has coded support for it, which is very unlikely (The only game I know that has it implemented this way is Ashes of the Singularity) due to the complexity of it.
That said, I believe the Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti doesn't support SLI at all, as Nvidia has dropped SLI support on low-end models for quite some time, so you can't buy another 750 Ti to increase your performance.

Also keep in mind that games supporting multi-GPU setups has greatly diminished in recent years (it always required lots of tinkering with driver profiles to get right) and you often can't get modern games to support SLI/Crossfire at all, even with driver hacks. Especially with low-level APIs like DirectX12 and Vulkan the GPU manufacturer can't do anything about it since it requires the game/engine developer to do all the coding for it, and most game developers are usually not knowledgable enough about the hardware nor do they think it's worth investing time in it, especially when it comes to quick, relatively cheap console ports that are prevalent these days, since consoles don't support multi-GPU rendering either. In addition, a very small amount of PC users is using Multi-GPU setups anyhow, so most developers don't deem multi GPU support feasible.
On a side note, SLI and Crossfire work fine with WWE 2k17, WWE 2k16 and WWE 2k15, although you have to create your own profiles for it (they might also work with WWE 2k18, although we won't know until someone tests it - for the first time since before the 3dfx Voodoo 2 days in the late 90s I no longer own any multi-GPU setups from either brand as I have moved on to single GPU solutions on both my Desktop and my Laptop, so I won't be able to test these this year). As someone that has used multi GPU setups for so long and have only recently switched to a single GPU setup, I sadly can't recommend a multi-GPU setup in good concience these days. Instead I'd recommend getting the fastest single GPU you can afford.

Your best bet is to get a new video card, for this game, I'd recommend at least an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB or AMD Radeon RX480 8GB to be able to play reliably at 1920x1080 (FHD) at decent details. The bare minimum would likely be a GeForce GTX 1050 (Ti), although I wouldn't recommend getting a video card with less than 6GB or better 8GB of video memory these days. An Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB or AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 would be ideal for high details at a resolution with 1920x1080 (Full HD) for WWE games and many others (if you can get a used GTX 970 or 980 cheap that should also be fine), if you can afford it, if you want to play at 2560x1440 (WQHD) I'd recommend an Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB or maybe Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti 8GB or AMD Radeon RX 64. For 3840x2160 (UHD) resolution I'd recommend at least a GTX 1080 Ti, Titan X (Pascal), Titan Xp or Radeon RX Vega 64 (two GTX 1080s in SLI should also work, but I can't recommend it due to the hassle and unreliability with Multi-GPU setups these days).

Spot on education. A few articles are up suggesting SLI and crossfire is dying, so I would suggest one GPU as well. I have a 1080ti and it ran WWE 2k17 in 4K like a champ. I wonder how it will handle 4K with 8 wrestlers in the ring.

7 hours ago, stebbinsd said:

GTX_1050_Price.png

In all honesty, if $185 is too much for you than you definitely shouldn't be playing on PC. PC Gaming isn't cheap. Though the 1050 not the TI is $129.99.

7 hours ago, stebbinsd said:

GTX_1050_Price.png

As most people have said, the 1050 is really the bare minimum card you should go for and even then you will have to make some sacrifices @1080p. When it comes to PC gaming, if you cheap out on the GPU you will live to regret it.

As Codes just said, PC gaming isnt cheap so if you cant afford to go the full nuts and then dont waste your money on a half-assed upgrade.

7 hours ago, EZY said:

Spot on education. A few articles are up suggesting SLI and crossfire is dying, so I would suggest one GPU as well. I have a 1080ti and it ran WWE 2k17 in 4K like a champ. I wonder how it will handle 4K with 8 wrestlers in the ring.

Same here!

I was very happy with my benchmark results in WWE2k17;

Hopefully WWE2k18 turns out the same!