FIX for custom render match-up screen stretching

4 Life

So I've seen a number of people complaining that when they make a custom render and inject it, it appears fine on the selection screen, but on the match-up screen it appears all out of shape, as if it's been stretched horizontally or squashed a little vertically. This is due to the way the type a's (match-up screen) are rendered - they're automatically resized a little. If you extract any of the type a's and compare them to the type b's, even though the resolution/size is 1024x1024 on both, the actual renders are different sizes - the type a's are stretched vertically, and you'll notice a bit of the bottom of the render has been stretched to below the visible area.

EDIT: I'm going to write a step-by-step with images of the settings required for paint.net, as I imagine that most people viewing this thread will have come from PerfectPlex's tutorial on creating renders with paint.net:

1) Follow PerfectPlex's guide to create your type b 1024x1024 dds file, as this will serve as your base for the type a file.

2) With that complete, click Image > Resize. Untick Maintain aspect ratio and change the height of the image to 1275. Your settings should be as follows - leave the Resolution and Print Size alone:

pcgeo.jpg

3) Now click Image > Canvas Size. Copy the following settings, paying particular attention to the Pixel size Height & Width settings, and Anchor settings which will ensure automatic correct placement of the image:

i3ggie.jpg

4) Your type a render should now be complete. If you're following PerfectPlex's tutorial, hit Save as and save as a DDS under the settings as instructed in his tutorial. Once you've saved it, you can hit Ctrl+Z a couple of times to reset it back to the normally sized 1024x1024 image to work it into a 512x512 type c render :)

I was creating a render for Wolfpac Sting modifying his '99 render, so I used that as a reference for this one to check what was the best height to adjust to. Finished result:

eik2mc.jpg:

Enjoy!

Edited by 4LifeBrother
  • Like 3

Works! Such a simple thing! Before I'd manually make adjustments and the result was stupid. Thanks!

Tell me about it haha, learning how to mess around with renders has been THE most frustrating thing I've done with this game so far but it's actually really straightforward once you know what you're doing :)

• 1 month later...

Hey 4LifeBrother, I'm trying to put my first render ingame. But I dont understand what you wrote there. Could you please make a video tutorial or just some screenshots what to do?

Regards

Hey 4LifeBrother, I'm trying to put my first render ingame. But I dont understand what you wrote there. Could you please make a video tutorial or just some screenshots what to do?

Regards

If you're following @Perfectplex's render tutorial and you're looking to make a type a, do your type b  dds image in paint.net first. Then, keep it open. Go to Image > Resize, uncheck Maintain Aspect Ratio. Right underneath that, change the height from 1024 to 1275. Then, go to Image > Canvas Size. Uncheck Maintain aspect, then change the canvas size to 1024 x 1024. The image should then be placed correctly automatically, and you now have your type a image ready to save :)

Regards

If you're following @Perfectplex's render tutorial and you're looking to make a type a, do your type b  dds image in paint.net first. Then, keep it open. Go to Image > Resize, uncheck Maintain Aspect Ratio. Right underneath that, change the height from 1024 to 1275. Then, go to Image > Canvas Size. Uncheck Maintain aspect, then change the canvas size to 1024 x 1024. The image should then be placed correctly automatically, and you now have your type a image ready to save :)

Ok I'll do what you say, here we go:

Look at the 5 images in this gallery: http://postimg.org/gallery/odz0twrc/

I did exactly what you said, but the result is a render of Chad Gable with a half head. What did I do wrong? :( 

Regards

I did exactly what you said, but the result is a render of Chad Gable with a half head. What did I do wrong? :( 

Ahhh forgot to say, you've gotta set the Anchor to Top left when you resize the canvas ;)

Regards

Ahhh forgot to say, you've gotta set the Anchor to Top left when you resize the canvas ;)

Now it worked. And it looks VERY nice :D

Thank you very much dude, you helped me a lot ^^

Regards

Regards

Awesome :) Might add a step by step in the original post for paint.net actually since I think a lot of people will be coming here from PP's thread.

Regards

Awesome :) Might add a step by step in the original post for paint.net actually since I think a lot of people will be coming here from PP's thread.

what is  Anchor?where to use?

Regards

It's in the Image>Canvas Size menu at the bottom of the pop-up, mate. I've added images of the settings you need to the first post :)

Regards

It's in the Image>Canvas Size menu at the bottom of the pop-up, mate. I've added images of the settings you need to the first post :)

Regards

Bro Still Getting Half Size:50675692a8.jpg

Bro Still Getting Half Size:50675692a8.jpg

You must be doing it all wrong mate, the image would have been FAR too big to be cut off that much and it's not stretched vertically by the looks of it? Read through the tutorial from scratch and make sure you understand correctly :) You've done the type b already, yeah? You should be working off of that now.

Edited by 4LifeBrother