Creating Normal maps for your logos. (Tutorial)

Titavius

A number of people have messaged me asking me how I do the normals on my mods, what settings I use, etc. So I've written up a small Photoshop tut on how I do it, and why it looks so effective in-game.

If you like to render your own logos or draw them freehand, then this tutorial will show you how to retain quality when converting your image to a normal map. Rendered logos tend to make things so much easier when it comes to things like alphas, and creating alternate attire textures. The logo i’m using here is A-Train’s trunks logo, again created in Photoshop. When creating your logo, you need to make sure it has two layers. An outline (shown in yellow) and your main logo completely filled (here in red.) Ensure it has no background and is saved as a PSD. If you're creating a logo from scratch, just add a stroke to it, copy it, and save it as a separate layer. you may then need to fill it. 

Image1_zps162bf353.png

As you can see , with any background removed, the logo has clean lines and can be re-positioned anywhere in the color texture.

Image2_zps05bd78e6.png

Start by holding Ctrl and selecting your main logo layer. Then simply click on the outline layer, and hit delete. This will hollow out the outline layer. We’ll need this layer to create our normal later on. Your outline layer may already be like this, in that case, you can miss this step.

Image3_zpsb8bdcb93.png

The image below is what your outline should now look like (shown in yellow).

Image4_zpsccd289cd.png

Now simply move the outline layer over to your main normal texture, and place it in the same position it is in your color layer. This is important. When in position, fill it completely with black and flatten it. To flatten it with out it merging into your normal, simply create a new layer and merge your outline layer with the new blank layer.

Image5_zps5e389935.png

Now click the filter tab in Photoshop with your outline highlighted, and find NVIDIA tools. Click on Normal map filter. The settings for the normal map filter are shown in the image below. Ensure that ‘Average RGB’ is checked and that you have checked ‘Invert Y’. Click OK. (It’s  important that we invert the outline).

Image6_zpsa7193f1e.png

What you should have now is your outline completely inverted. In order to correct the purple background, simply go to the drop-down in your layers tab and choose overlay.

Image7_zpsd9bf3f52.png

At this point, simply make your outline transparent by around 60% so that it doesn't stand out too much with the rest of the normal. And voilà!

Image8_zps83823827.png

If anybody needs help with the alpha, I may write something up. Although I know it’s not as big of an issue. 

a-train.jpg

Edited by Titan83
  • Like 1

Ok so there is a other Methode.

Open your edited dds, png or whatever in Photoshop (CC) V.2 - 2014

See the images - after copy the parts you want and insert it in your normal.dds with "paste special" - to original position.

pmyovwx2.png

bb8xj3nl.png

:cool:

Edited by Andy

Ok so there is my Methode.

Open your edited dds, png or whatever in Photoshop (CC) V.2 - 2014

See the images - after copy the parts you want and insert it in your normal.dds with "paste special" - to original position.

pmyovwx2.png

bb8xj3nl.png

:cool:

that's good, but the reason I don't do it that way is because you end up with things like 3D tattoos and no definition to your skin. parts that should be protruding are inverted etc. tattoos shouldn't show up on a normal at all. my tut is basically showing you how to display a logo correctly on a normal, the way in the -game textures do. 

Sure good tuto Titan ;)  I only want to show a other option to do, but this is a very fast way for only make a logo for the normal.dds.

qnqghtfk.png

Edited by Andy

Sure good tuto Titan ;)  I only want to show a other option to do, but this is a very fast way for only make a logo for the normal.dds.

yeah totally. but remember that it's important that your skin has definition and that tattoos don't show up. also, the main part of a logo should protrude whereas the outline should be inverted. 

ih2pom.jpg

Its very fast and easy with a bit knowledge....

4x4k7y9a.png

well, with knowledge, you shouldn't have to subtract quality for ease of use. people like to render their own logos. the point of my tutorial is that if you have rendered your own logos, and you want to display them in the normals the correct way, you can do so, and retain a good sharp quality image.

if you have everything flattened into one image, then do it the way you suggested. i don't think my tutorial applies to you, with respect. if there is a way to retain the sharp quality and do it with a flat image, then I apologise. just thought i'd share my way. i know some people like to work with rendered images. 

dg5dm1.jpg

Edited by Titan83

Thanks for the tutorial man. Your method looks much better than creating an entire normal in one go. I find that a lot of extra "noise" is generated when you do this.

Thanks for the tutorial man. Your method looks much better than creating an entire normal in one go. I find that a lot of extra "noise" is generated when you do this.

thanks man. I guess my aim is to be able to create textures that retain the same overall quality that in-game texture would. as you know, the more time you spend on a mod, the more imperfections you notice in-game!  

Nice Tutorial it Helps Alot :)

i want to mention that if you want to place the logo in the same position it is in your color layer. you can Simply Press CTRL+A to select the logo and Press CTRL+C then go to your Normal file and Press SHIFT+CTRL+V and you will get  it in the same position :)