'Unable to compress file enough' Fix Tutorial

UndertakerWLF

Hi guys,

Everyone has come across this problem when modding certain pac files, the process below should fix the issue and should enable you to edit the matchup screens, main menu, arena select screen etc..

1. Extract the texture you wish to mod and make a copy of it.
  2. Open the copied version in a Hex editor and replace the entire file with 0’s
  3. Go back to the original image and mod as required and save as a lower DXT, for example the matchup screens are DXT5,  Save these as DXT1 no alpha or DXT1 with alpha. This is dependent on your requirements.
  4. Once saved open this up in a hex editor and copy the contents, open up your file that contains the 0’s and paste the contents.
  5. Finally compress and inject into the required pac using Tekkens X-packer application.

This method is the best way to do this, previously I was altering the image size which looses quality, this way you can still keep nice crisp clean images.

Edited by UndertakerWLF

Thanks for the tutorial man. I am using another method now, I don't know if this work with Matchup Screens. I inject the DDS files at the bottom of the texture file and I fix the offsets and sizes bytes in the begining of the file. It works flawlessly with wrestlers mods, I'll take a look at matchup screens too. I don't know if this was the problem here but It's a nice way to inject a little bigger DDS files.

Edited by El Buvor

Thanks for the tutorial man. I am using another method now, I don't know if this work with Matchup Screens. I inject the DDS files at the bottom of the texture file and I fix the offsets and sizes bytes in the begining of the file. It works flawlessly with wrestlers mods, I'll take a look at matchup screens too. I don't know if this was the problem here but It's a nice way to inject a little bigger DDS files.

My method will keep the file size intact without affecting the file size, it's nice and quick as well.

I did use the repointing method back in the SVR2011 days to alter matchup screens it worked back then but I could not get it to work for the later games, maybe it was a PS3 thing lol.

Edited by UndertakerWLF

Hey, Undertaker, is this same way you did that Survivor Series arena select screen?  I've tried this and every other way but no luck...  Nice tutorial either way!

hmmmm....  So, I zero out the original file and copy the contents of the edited file and paste...  By "contents", you mean the whole file, right?  

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting lost on the step 4.

When i copy the content of the edited file to the file that has the 00's the file gets bigger then the original.

Be careful, sometimes when you fill the file with 00's the cursor can jump midway and hence the data gets larger. Make sure it is at the begining of the file.

Be careful, sometimes when you fill the file with 00's the cursor can jump midway and hence the data gets larger. Make sure it is at the begining of the file.

I am not understnading. Lets imagine that the dds file is 257kb. If i replace everything with 00's i will get the exact same size. If to that file i add the content of the editied file, lets imagine that its 171kb. Then i file will be 428kb.

No, if the file size was 257kb originally it should still be 257kb after you addedthe DXT1 DDS file.

Basically highlight the entire file and replace everything with 00's and save. You should see that file is 257kb and the entire file is filled with 00's.

Add your DXT1 file to it from the start of the file and save and the file should still be 257kb.

Could you take a look at what i'm doing wrong?

here's what i'm doing:

- Replace the content of the bg copy with 00's

hmYOJzN.jpg

As you can see the size stays the same

doW9G5H.jpg

-Then i edit the original bg and save as dxt1

yARSfLO.jpg

- Now i copy the content of the bg to the bg copy

2baATTo.jpg

And the file size gets bigger

TBft6Qp.jpg

Your using Paste Insert, so with that you are adding to the  file, try Paste Write which means you overwite the file :)

Edited by UndertakerWLF

Your using Paste Insert, so with that you are adding to the  file, try Paste Write which means you overwite the file :)

I have also tried that moments ago but when i press to compress and inject i get the error

Ahhh you didnt save it with an alpha layer :)

So try again with an alpha layer and DXT1 with alpha but no mip maps.

It should work.

• Like 1

Ahhh you didnt save it with an alpha layer :)

So try again with an alpha layer and DXT1 with alpha but no mip maps.

It should work.

It worked, thanks a lot taker :)