Beginners Tutorial: Extracting WWE 2K14 pac and bpe Texture files.

Titavius

First of all, I want to say thank you to HotavioH for last years tutorial which explained how to do this for WWE '13. Again, this is how to extract Textures the the old fashioned way for beginners, updated for WWE 2K14. 

We seem to have alot of beginners on here daily, asking for help on how to get started with the basics. Alot of the time, people are ignored, because for somebody experienced in modding, it can be a hassle having to go back to basics. 

Anyway, before we get started, you'll need to download yourself some essential modding equipment. 

The following tools are required. 

Xpacker by Tekken57
XBCompression by XDK
QuickBMS (including yukes,bms)

Download: https://anonfiles.co...1165ff53b68b5b5

At this stage you should already have the game extracted. It also helps to keep everything organised so that you can locate everything with ease, as and when you need it. (Please don't ask where to obtain a pirated copy of the game. This is a public forum and such things may land you in a heap of trouble. If you know somebody who can help, a quick PM is probably the best option.)

Step 1. In the extracted game folder, go to pac > ch and select your ch.pac. For this tutorial, I’m using ch115.pac (Vince McMahon).

Step2. Go into the start menu on your windows machine and type cmd in the search box. Hit enter to bring up a command prompt. (If you’re using an older version of windows, you’ll need to go to Run in your start menu, and then type cmd).

Step 3. Now go into your xbcompression folder and find the xbdecompress.exe. Drag this into your command prompt. Hit space, and now drag your ch.pac into the command prompt. Hit space again, and drag your ch.pac into the command prompt one more time. As soon as you’ve done this, type .decompress and hit enter.

*Depending on your copy of the game, your ch.pac may or may not be compressed. Step 3 is basically how to decompress any pac file from the ISO, however if you're getting an error message, your file may not need to be decompressed. In which case, you can continue with step 4.

Your ch.pac file should be decompressed. If you go back into your ch folder, you should see your decompressed pac file below your original one. Mine is now labelled ch115.pac.decompress.

Step 4. Now you’ll need to go into a Hex Editor. For this tutorial, I’m using Hex Workshop. In your Hex Editor, open up your ch.pac.decompress. In the right hand corner of your screen, you should see the header. This should read EPAC. To open up the ch.pac.decompress file in step 5, you’ll need to change this header to EPK8, and save.

Step 5. Now go into XPacker. In XPacker, hold Ctrl + X and select your ch.pac.decompress file. What you’re seeing in front of you is a list of attires relevant to your chosen character. Select the attire you wish to extract, and click the ‘extract’ button. Save the file.

Step 6. I’ve extracted the first attire and so it has saved as 00011502.pac. In XPacker, hold Ctrl + 3 and select that attire file. Now, for the main colour texture, you’ll need to find File Name 000C and click extract. It should save as OOOC.bpe. The other OOO_ files are the Superstar Threads mask files. These are relevant if you wish to have a modified, working Superstar Thread attire.

Step 7. Now you’ll need to extract your OOOC.bpe file. For this, you’ll need to go into your quickbms folder, and open up your QuickBMS application. Upon opening this, you’ll be prompted to open up a BMS script. Select Yukes.bms and click open. Now you’ll be asked to open the .BPE file you extracted in the previous step. Choose your destination folder and click save.

Step 8. Again, open up XPacker. Hold Ctrl + T, and select the file you have just extracted.  Mine is labelled 000C.bpe.unpacked. What you are given at this point is the option to extract your texture as a DDS file. Click extract to save your DDS Texture file to your computer, and there you have it. Your extracted WWE 2K14 Texture file is now saved as a DDS file. 

DDS Viewer is a good way to view or even convert DDS files. http://ddsviewer.com/ 

Alternatively, there are Photoshop plugins available if you wish to start texture editing. 

Paint.net is also a handy application that will let you edit DDS files without the need for a plug-in. 

Edited by Titan83

You may have to ask Tekken as I could be wrong, but I assume with the new XPacker, there won't be any need to change the headers with a hex editor. It's a simple enough step though anyway, so either way it makes little difference. 

Yes the process will change slightly. There is a function under the "utilities" menu which will change the header for you. Also x-packer can uncompress bpe files if you click the uncompress button instead of the extract button.

Good tutorial btw :)

There's also functions which extract and uncompress all files in a pach, extracts pac files containing directories as well as zlib decompression/compression.

it doesn't work buddy when i finish all CMD steps it say :failed to decompress file was not decompressed in a native form

lol. that means that the file is already decompressed so it does work. next time just say what does this error mean or i'm getting this message, and not automatically assume something doesn't work..

it doesn't work buddy when i finish all CMD steps it say :failed to decompress file was not decompressed in a native form

lol. that means that the file is already decompressed so it does work. next time just say what does this error mean or i'm getting this message, and not automatically assume something doesn't work..

this. your file isn't compressed, so you should be able to open it straight away with quickbms/x-packer

Titan83, The process to compress a file is the same that the step 3?

I think so, yes. Only this time you're using xbcompress and you're typing .compress :)

Also, I've updated step 3 with a quick note

Edited by Titan83

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Excellent tutorial is very useful me, I served

v46yvl.png

Can you tell me how to extract 3d models pac files please

Edited by TheRock2989

Hitting big problems....

Got through the xbdecompress,  got my ch177.decompressed file, open in xpacker fine, i extracted my first attitre which reads as a .pach file in xpacker but saves as a .pac, when i try to open it under the xbox .pac option i get invalid pac file selected if i try and open it as a .pach file with or without .epk8 i get another error.

heres 2 screenshots of the errors.

if i try to open as a xbox/ps3 .pac file...

*****EDIT*****

Figured out what i did, once you get the file decompressed you must open the file using the utilities tab of xpacker and in that use the change to epk8 function and choose it, then open the file to extract etc..

My bad fellas!

Adam.

Edited by iconbadgta

Hitting big problems....

Got through the xbdecompress,  got my ch177.decompressed file, open in xpacker fine, i extracted my first attitre which reads as a .pach file in xpacker but saves as a .pac, when i try to open it under the xbox .pac option i get invalid pac file selected if i try and open it as a .pach file with or without .epk8 i get another error.

heres 2 screenshots of the errors.

if i try to open as a xbox/ps3 .pac file 

error2xpacker_zps1d6ce62b.jpg

and if i try to open as a xbox/ps3 .pach file with or without epk8

error1xpacker_zpsd2294ee8.jpg

Only the .pac file should have the header changed to EPK8, the files you extract from the .pac are .pach files although they are named .pac because standard Windows extensions are only 3 characters.

Right... I opened up the iso and extracted the ch.177 which is bret, then once i decompressed that file i opened it up in xpaxker using the change epk8 utility, once it did that it allowed me to extract the pac files inside it.. I am working on a wcw version of bret and i want you to be my guinea pig in a few red if ya want!

I got to hone my skillz on someone until i get my box rgh'd!

You game, i will have it ready to inject as a ready to go ch file again...

Heres a preview for the new wcw one i am doing.. what i have thus far, got to extract the black top with pink stripes and do some work on it to finish it. top is the original games and bottom 2 are mine! I am well on my way with xpacker!

NEWBRETWCWMOD_zpseb112c90.png

Heres a preview for the new wcw one i am doing.. what i have thus far, got to extract the black top with pink stripes and do some work on it to finish it. top is the original games and bottom 2 are mine! I am well on my way with xpacker!

NEWBRETWCWMOD_zpseb112c90.png

Looks good

I think I will do his ss97 attire also to match mathyus' s hbk model I believe... I think hes the ome that did the hbks?

Anyway once I am done doing the hitmans attires I am gonna try and get the british bulldog and maybe a good owen if someone has a awsome one everyone agrees is good and do him too.

This and arenas are what my goal is.

I'm running into a problem. On step 6, My extract does not save as a .bpe file, it saves as a .zlib file, and nothing works from there. If i just change the name, when i extract with quickbms, it says 0 files found. Any ideas what im doing wrong? Everything works perfect till then. I have X-Packer 9 as well if that helps at all. 

Use Xpacker 9 and when you get to the zlib file click uncompress not extract then you will end up with an uncompressed version of the zlib file which you should be able to open with Xpacker as a Texture Archive