Communtiy Creations Update: THQ Removing Undownloaded CAWs

Smacktalks

wwe12.jpg

THQ today provided the following update on the on-going work with the Community Creations servers, noting that content that has not been downloaded or rated will now be deleted from the servers faster than before which will lessen the searchable content and speed up the performance of the servers.

"Even the most casual members of the WWE Games community knows that there was one issue with WWE ’12 that trumped them all: The reliability of Community Creations. We’ve heard you loud and clear and are hard at work trying to not only improve the WWE ’12 experience, but also ensure that there are no similar issues on the upcoming WWE ’13.

As part of our weekly server updates and down periods, we’ve recently made some very specific changes that are already paying dividends, with drastically higher connection rates and more community members than ever able to download user-generated content. For many users, one of the largest issues was that with such a wealth of contenton the servers, it took far too long to sort through it all. After looking at reams of data, our team discovered that the vast majority of content on Community Creations had never once been downloaded or rated.

Instead of allowing all that unpopular, unused data and code to clog up our servers, we’ve started taking a more aggressive approach to culling extraneous content. We have always set the system to delete undownloaded UGC (much of it uploaded simply to receive an achievement), but from here on out, unpopular content will have a much shorter half-life.

This will help the Community Creations feature in WWE ’12 in two key ways. First, there will be less content for the servers to search through, which means faster, more reliable service over all. Second, as undownloaded, unpopular content will be removed at a faster rate, the content you find will, on average, be of much higher quality (or at least popularity) than what you experienced before.

We’re excited about this update, and anticipate seeing great benefit from this simple change, but that doesn’t mean we’re resting on our laurels. Our weekly down period early every Tuesday morning will continue as we continue making improvements and shoring things up for WWE ‘13’s October 30, 2012 release.

Whether you’re pleased with the changes in server performance, or of the opinion that more needs to be done, we hope that you’ll take part in one of our upcoming Server Performance Surveys. Thanks for your patience and support."

Source: THQ.com

Guest Stingertap10

This is pure and total BS, and why I adamantly hate THQ. So they're blaming us, or atleast using us as an excuse as to why the servers don't work? Fuck that noise. Unpopular content my ass. Because it's not downloaded or rated doesn't mean it's unpopular, it just means it was either poorly promoted or unseen due to being pushed down the page by more popular ones. I want the right to decide what gets deleted and when. Why else give us the option to delete things ourselves? I think a caw maker is smart enough to know when something hasn't filled it's niche or isn't up to par with the rest of their work, and to to delete it. This does 3 things. 1. Gives people more incentive steal other people's caws. 2. Gives THQ cart blanche to remove any content they deem unpopular which could be absolutely anything, and for other more nefarious reasons. 3 Hurts lesser known caw makers who make great content, but might not reach alot of people.

This hurts the whole community. Now, not only are we treated poorly by THQ, we're also seen as the main problem for their own equipment malfunctioning (Ultimately their own stupidity and laziness)? That's great. They REALLY think highly of us (Sarcasm). This makes me really rethink uploading any content with 13, if I indeed decide to purchase it, long after it comes out, because I know I've had my fair share of bad mouthing them (Completely justified) and run ins with employees (Anyone who wants to know, PM me), cause now what stops them from black balling my content and just deeming it unpopular ? Same as anyone who spoke ill-y of them. They could just look at your numbers, deem you unpopular, and erase your work, and can do so without so much as to give any notice, or have any repercussions.

This makes my stance on boycotting them even more firm. Who knows, with this coming out, you might have seen the last of my creations on CC.

Edited by Stingertap10

I think I know why they're doing this, I've noticed that a day ago I upload my CM Punk CAW, when I checked back on my recent uploades there was like 20 blank uploads..?? Nothing was displayed or anything so its a glitch that THQ is trying to fix because it happens to almost everyone. Lol right now it says I have like 300 uploads and I only uploaded like... 30-40 give or take, so that means there are hundreds of blanks which slow the server down.

I have to say I completely agree 110% with what Stinger had to say on the subject ... it's complete Nonsense . Here we have THQ / Yukes making games where people have to create and then upload Paint tools Caws etc etc etc to their respective CC in order to achieve trophy/ other stuff then they turn around and pull this stuff here...what a joke and total waste of having such if they pull that. Users have no control over what others download so this just slaps each and every person right in the face in my view.; Yet they still keep the trolls on server you know who they are the people leaving the 1 star empty reviews all over the servers yet these same individuals have nothing uploaded on their own for contribution to CC.

Edited by Damussman