Replacing a default superstar: Data Editor / pofo question (SOLVED)

Grappler

I'm trying to replace some of the roster with modded characters and have gotten stuck. I know how to import the models, renders, custom music, etc. but I don't know the exact process of importing the pofos and movesets. Here's where I'm running into trouble: Let's say that I want to replace Albert with Roddy Piper. From what I understand I'm supposed to open Data Editor, open Roddy Piper's pofo with it, then tell it to change the pofo ID to Albert. Alright, so far so good. But presumably I'm supposed to then click the Name box and tell Data Editor that I want Albert's in-game information to display "Roddy Piper" instead.

When I do this a window pops up asking me to input hex code that refers to the address of the string file. It then links me to this page: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E1044DdQrmdJ_AtfwRXkrv6vo31sdNmAgBaDi29Xiyk/edit#gid=0

I don't understand. What exactly am I supposed to be looking for on this page? Piper's information isn't there. Not knowing what to do I injected the pofo anyway and sure enough, Albert still shows up as Albert. If I install Piper into a new slot everything works just fine right off the bat, his name shows up as it's supposed to and his slot is in alphabetical order. Yet when I try to replace an existing character with Piper I can't seem to do it. The character model works fine, it's his name and data that won't carry over. I get that I need to change some data, but I'm struggling to understand how. Can someone please help? I've been at this for days.

EDIT: Problem solved. Apparently either my windows were sized improperly or I just failed to notice but that string table has extra tabs at the bottom, one of which includes the ID codes that I needed. Always nice to get something figured out, even if the solution was a simple one in the end.

Edited by Grappler

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2018 at 3:38 PM, Grappler said:

EDIT: Problem solved. Apparently either my windows were sized improperly or I just failed to notice but that string table has extra tabs at the bottom, one of which includes the ID codes that I needed. Always nice to get something figured out, even if the solution was a simple one in the end.

Hey, did you manage to make the game's announcer SAY Roddy Piper? I'm trying to replace Stunning Steve Austin with Kenny Omega because I want to be able to assign a render to Kenny but in character selection screen and during the entrance, the announcer says STUNNING STEVE AUSTIN still, everything else works except for that, kenny's custom render, his entrance, his music, his trons, everything.

No, my understanding is that unless the names can be pieced together from the announcer call list the only other option is to edit the character's pofo to turn off the announcer call altogether (which means Kenny Omega's name won't be spoken at all, but at the very least this also means that Austin's won't either). Did you already check to see if the names "Kenny" and "Omega" are available? I haven't checked but I would assume that they would be (I've also not yet attempted to change the call name of an existing member of the roster so I don't know if that's something that the game lets you do or not).

I do recall seeing something about adding new call names but I think that might have been for 2K17. Whatever the process was it would likely be the same for 2K18 but the thing is that I believe that the call names they were talking about were spoken by Howard Finkel, so that would be a whole different problem. I wonder if one could simply use Sound Injector to replace the sound files of existing characters' names with our own sounds? In your case maybe just find a clip of Kenny Omega being announced, use Sound Converter to turn an mp3 of that clip into a game-ready WEM file, and then use the same program to inject the WEM file over the one in Stunning Steve Austin slot? That almost sounds too easy.

Now you've got me curious, I'd like to do this too. I'm going to look into it but I'm still a relative novice, maybe someone who's more familiar will see this and be able to give us an answer.

EDIT: I took a look and yes, this does seem like it's possible. Using Sound Editor you simply open up the "ra.m.pck" file and Austin's announce name is in there along with everyone else's (and loads of other calls too). I would imagine that you can just inject the sound bite of Kenny's name into Austin's slot just like you did with his theme, render, etc. Hmm...Is this how everyone else has gotten Fink's calls into the game? Someone please let us know!

Edited by Grappler

Shame, I thought that maybe I was missing some very obscure detail in .pofo/.moveset injecting. I've been at this for days too and I've exhausted all the documentation there is about this subject.

I'm still in the fence between replacing and just adding a new slot in the end...

2 hours ago, Featherine said:

Shame, I thought that maybe I was missing some very obscure detail in .pofo/.moveset injecting. I've been at this for days too and I've exhausted all the documentation there is about this subject.

I'm still in the fence between replacing and just adding a new slot in the end...

You'd have to use Sound Editor to replace all the announcer and commentary sound files for the existing character you replaced with sound clips for Kenny Omega to have him referred to as that in all situations. Sadly there is no way to actually add new announcements or commentary yet.

4 hours ago, Cave Waverider said:

You'd have to use Sound Editor to replace all the announcer and commentary sound files for the existing character you replaced with sound clips for Kenny Omega to have him referred to as that in all situations. Sadly there is no way to actually add new announcements or commentary yet.

But the game already has both KENNY and OMEGA announcer words in it. Also in the Data Editor, there's a slot for Kenny Omega commentary name too, but even if you select it, it doesn't work.

Does the wiki have a section that explains how to replace commentary sound files to achieve this effect?

46 minutes ago, Featherine said:

But the game already has both KENNY and OMEGA announcer words in it. Also in the Data Editor, there's a slot for Kenny Omega commentary name too, but even if you select it, it doesn't work.

Does the wiki have a section that explains how to replace commentary sound files to achieve this effect?

CAW callnames are handled differently than regular ones. They can only be used with CAWs. Only announcements that are tied to the Wrestler ID can be used with the Wrestler of thevsame ID. Commentary ID is separate and can be changed to a different one, but obviously only ones that are in the game and tied to the chosen ID already. Even though Kenny Omega may be in the list, it's just a reserved ID slot in case somebody figures out how to actually add new commentary to slots and releases a mod for it.

Not sure if somebody created a Wiki article on it, if no, check out the Sound Editor thread. Replacing commentary is basically thevsame as replacing entrance music, you just need to find all the right sounds in Sound Editor to replace.