PC Tutorial - editing your save with X-Packer 2016

tekken57

The save file for this years game seems to be very volatile i.e. it seems to corrupt very easily. It would seem the game checks all files in the save directory before loading.  Two very important things:

- Do not work with the save directly in the save directory. Make a backup and work on the backup (the process is detailed below)

- If you make any changes to the save and hit the save changes to memory button in X-Packer, you must save the game immediately in game.

The process to edit your save is as follows:

1. Create a directory called backups outside of the save location. i.e the save is stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\YOUR_PROFILE_ID\385730\remote . I create a folder called backups in the  C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\YOUR_PROFILE_ID\    directory. 

2. Copy your all the files in your save directory into the backup directory.

3. Start the game and get to the title screen   i.e. the screen after it has loaded the save

4. Open your save file in the backup directory using one of the save options i.e wrestler info, moveset etc.

5. Inject whatever files you want, edit the wrestler info, entrances, etc.  It is recommended that you do everything in one go e.g if you are adding wrestlers add all the pofo files.

6. When you are done, click "Save changes into memory".

7. Go to my wwe in game and confirm that your changes have been applied.

8. Edit one of the wrestlers in my wwe changing one of the attibutes. Then press the space key to save. e.g I change Adam Roses crowd reaction to boo then press space.

9. If you need to work on another aspect of the save, open the save again in X-Packer using the appropriate command i.e You've worked on wrestler info now yuo want to work on moveses. Follow the same steps from step 5 - 8. 

10. If you need to edit your save at a later stage, make sure you copy your save from your save directory into the backup directory and then start at step 3.

I cannot stress how important it is to take constant backups of your save before doing any modding on it.

If your save does corrupt and the game forces you to create a new save, you can restore you wrestler info, movesets and team info by opening your backup save and clicking save to memory for each type i.e following steps 6 - 8 above.

If you require more information about working with your save, the X-Packer tutorial still applies:

• Like 3

Thank you for the tutorial, i was wondering why my save became corrupt so easy.

You can also restore your game from steam cloud if it gets corrupt. If you get the "SaveGame corrupt" message from your game, minimize the game (ALT + ENTER) go into steam and disable the steam cloud for wwe2k16.

Then then rename the save folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\YOUR_PROFILE_ID\385730" to "385730backup" (or whatever you want)

Exit wwe2k16 and make sure there is no new "385730" folder.

Reenable the steam cloud for wwe2k16 and restart wwe2k16, steam will download the save from the steam cloud and this save should work again.

You can delete the "385730backup" folder or even better keep it as backup

• Like 1

You can also restore your game from steam cloud if it gets corrupt. If you get the "SaveGame corrupt" message from your game, minimize the game (ALT + ENTER) go into steam and disable the steam cloud for wwe2k16.

Then then rename the save folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\YOUR_PROFILE_ID\385730" to "385730backup" (or whatever you want)

Reenable the steam cloud for wwe2k16 and restart wwe2k16, steam will download the save from the steam cloud and this save should work again.

I noticed this feature yesterday as well but didn't think about using it to restore a corrupted save.  Thanks for posting this info.

I found that if you just delete all the backup files before you close steam then it doesn't corrupt at all. Just a different way round. Your way probably better though. 

I found that if you just delete all the backup files before you close steam then it doesn't corrupt at all. Just a different way round. Your way probably better though. 

Interesting. I can code X-Packer not to take a backup of the save when editing, however that is risky. What do you guys think?

I don't no like you said it might be safer to leave the back up like you said.

I also find that after importing wreslters I have to redo it all again if I accidentally miss one as the slots just cause infinity loading.

I have tried backing it up but soon as I have saved in game I then can't add anyone eles.

I have a save file where only 6 slots work but if I do it all at once it works perfectly. 

Interesting. I can code X-Packer not to take a backup of the save when editing, however that is risky. What do you guys think?

i think it might be best to stop xpacker making backups it seems to be catching people out it almost got me again this morning. 

Just tried that and it didn't work.

i think it might be best to stop xpacker making backups it seems to be catching people out it almost got me again this morning. 

I never work directly on my save, its a habit I've developed from modding consoles. It always safer to take a backup and work on the backup. Once you happy with the changes backup again.

Lets get a few more opinions, if the consensus is that X-Packer should not take backups, then I will disable it.

Edited by tekken57

I have found that after I make the first save changes all goes through ok after that I have to make sure that the xxx-yyy is YYY why does it make such a difference that it needs to be capitalised. 

I think the best way would to automatically create a save backup folder inside of the x-packer folder and copy the save there.

This can be doneas long as X-Packer has write permissions to your install folder. Any other opinions

I have found that after I make the first save changes all goes through ok after that I have to make sure that the xxx-yyy is YYY why does it make such a difference that it needs to be capitalised. 

Have no idea what you are talking about. What is xxx-yyy?

When you change the wrestler PAC file in hex and you press control F and go to xxx and change it to yyy. But after you have made changes to the save file if those yyy arnt capitals you get infinity loading screens. 

I also have put your Chris Benoit over but when I select him in game he comes out as a naked Paige. Sorry to be asking so much just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks. 

When you change the wrestler PAC file in hex and you press control F and go to xxx and change it to yyy. But after you have made changes to the save file if those yyy arnt capitals you get infinity loading screens. 

Still have no idea what you mean. Are you changing the wrester info in X-Packer? If you have X-Packer, it's much easier than with a hex editor.

Idk if this is happening to anyone else or not, but no matter what I do my save corrupts. I edit and copy, and put that in the remote folder, i edit the save itself, delete backups. Every time i get on after an extended period of not running the game my save is corrupt. It's getting quite frustrating adding all these mods back in every time.

Don't put anything in the remote folder, just took the save from there. X-packer will insert any changes you made into memory and the game will save it in the remote folder. X-packer doesn't edit the savegame file at all.

X-Packer does also save the changes in the save game file, but the game won't read that file and you get the save game corrupt message.

Edited by kim666
  • Like 1

Still have no idea what you mean. Are you changing the wrester info in X-Packer? If you have X-Packer, it's much easier than with a hex editor.

no only use xpacker to inject into game I find changing the PAC number easier using hex editor. 

Villain said

Say you're editing a guy from 2k15 with chXXX

Put the file in Hex Editor and then control+f "XXX" then change to YYY.

The same YYY where you change chXXX (2k15) to chYYY (2k16) 

So thats is what I'm on about with the xxx-yyy thing. 

Your Chris Benoit keeps turning into nude Paige it's the only one that seems to do it. 

Just happened to me again, this time I didn't even touch X-Packer, only Cheat Engine. All I did was switch Superstars from the main roster to the DLC menu. I returned to my computer 4 hours later and I got the save corrupted message again!

Idk if this is happening to anyone else or not, but no matter what I do my save corrupts. I edit and copy, and put that in the remote folder, i edit the save itself, delete backups. Every time i get on after an extended period of not running the game my save is corrupt. It's getting quite frustrating adding all these mods back in every time.

do not copy anything into the remote folder. Always work on the backup in another directory. 

When you click save changes to memory and then save in game, the game will write to the remote folder and compute the checksum. 

Just happened to me again, this time I didn't even touch X-Packer, only Cheat Engine. All I did was switch Superstars from the main roster to the DLC menu. I returned to my computer 4 hours later and I got the save corrupted message again!

make sure you always save in game whenever you make any changes to the save in memory or the save will not have the correct checksum. 

• Like 1

Found a pretty swell solution to the problem. Apparently this always happens whenever I shut my computer down and boot it back up 100% of the time. Now before I start up my game, I:

1. copy all my save files onto my desktop
  2. start up the game
  3. let it do its save corruption B.S.
  4. overwrite making a new save file
  5. quit the game menu
  6. drag the old copied files on my desktop back into my save folder to overwrite the new save
  7. start up the game
  8. then do a "Wild Bill" victory dance!

So far, this has been my favorite solution because it avoids all the unnecessary backing up the save files every time, but do what you will. Hope this was helpful.

• 1 month later...

hello i tried putting a modded wrestler in wwe16 using xpacker now i get the corrupt save file i also noticed i have these files MAINBODY0000, MAINBODY0000.uncompressed, MAINBODY0000.uncompressed.bak, MAINBODY0000.zlib can i restore my save with one of these thanks.

hello i tried putting a modded wrestler in wwe16 using xpacker now i get the corrupt save file i also noticed i have these files MAINBODY0000, MAINBODY0000.uncompressed, MAINBODY0000.uncompressed.bak, MAINBODY0000.zlib can i restore my save with one of these thanks.

did you even read the tutorial? All  your questions got answered there.

• 1 month later...

Ive tried near about every combination of modding this game with Xpacker since its release on console. I have followed this tutorial word for word every time, backing up my files, backups of backups, corrupts every time. I am absolutely disgusted with it at this point. Had tons of fun with 2K15, but 2K16 has been nothing short of a nightmatre.

Edited by Ejfalcon9