TUTORIAL (CHARACTER DATA 4) CHARACTER SLOTS

BlindedByTheGrace

In this tutorial, I will be talking about character slots in the game and the configuration data which is placed in the charprofiletable.roster file.

First thing I will say is this tutorial is not a beginners tutorial.  If you are just leaning hex or no next to nothing about hex editing, its recommended you learn a bit more before attempting the is tutorial.

The charprofiletable.roster is one of the key files which the game needs to load data from when the game starts. If you make a mistake or save the wrong value, the game will either crash on startup or will not start. So be careful when editing this file. 

If the game crashes after making a change, it simply means it wasn't done correctly. Delete the file, extract a new one and try again. Its going to be a pain for an experienced modder to start troubleshooting issues with the file after making 100 changes at a go and realising the game doesn't start.

So what do you need?

Hxd (Hex editor)

A copy of the Superstar list with the Slot ID / Slot number combination. You can save a copy for offline use.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t2UK5qzkw8qqJhV1ZD7U61VYCJThjswcxw4c4YJH3I4/edit#gid=444977815

The Windows Calculator set top programmer mode (we'll be doing some calculating)

In case you are not sure , here is a screenshot with the option you need to select in the calculator app's menu. Do not use an online hex converter.

WllN93e.jpg

A copy of the charprofiletable.roster file. You extract this from the bakedfile00 using caketools. Open the file in caketools and navigate to the Roster folder. locate the file, highlight then click on the extract icon as shown in the screenshot below.

N3Dsads.jpg

The First  thing  I will do here is show how to unlock a character slot which is locked by default and even when set to open using various methods will relock when the game starts up.

I have selected the character ElMago as the first.

we need to know his slot ID / slot number combination. Look for this in the superstars ID table. From that table , the bytes are BD 01 C9 00 BD 01.

Open the  Charprofilletable.roster file in Hxd. and perform a search for the bytes (Hex Values)

You will be presented with the data shown below.

From where the slot ID combo begins , go back a few bytes before that and see if you can find a 64 or 64 00 00 00.

If you see this, go back up till you locate another 64 as shown here.

2FxUNJ9.jpg

One thing to point out here is the first 64 is the start of the configuration settings data for that slot while the second 64 tells the game the configuration settings data start  is 64 bytes behind this offset.

From the screenshot below, you will see when I highlight the first 64 and drag down to the second , the length is 64 bytes. You will see the length marked below. I have also marked another 64 in red,. Don't get confused by this 64. You are looking for the 64 which is 64 bytes behind the one in front.

skX8bLl.jpg

Now we go to the first 64 which is the start of the configuration settings data for that slot. This is hex date here. The developers probably have their own in-house  tool with a GUI which has all the bits labelled out.

What you now do is drag down to locate the offset which is IE bytes away from that point.

You are basically dragging till you see the length IE as shown below

6o7SwKI.jpg

This point is the setting for the slot to be set as active. These are sort of a force unlock or an override , not like what we had in previous games and before the v1.09 update.

In a pofo file, the value 1 is what sets a slot as active or playable.  This byte will make that active.

Now the bytes which are loaded into the pofo start from the second 64 which is actually 64 00 00 00

We need to place a 01 somewhere after this. The first possible place is after the 64 00 00 00 as shown here.

You will see I have added an 01 after the 64 00 00 00 , but the game will not read it because in the configuration settings, it hasn't been told to read the data.

zljFzBU.jpg

Now how do we tell it to read the data.

You count how many bytes in front this 01 is from the  2nd 64 which is the start of the profile data. It is 4 bytes a way or the 4th byte after the 64. Take note of the number 4.

At the offset which is IE bytes away, we add the number 04 as shown here.

This tells the game in simple terms 

'ASSIGN WHICH EVER VALUE IS 04 BYTES AWAY FROM THE PROFILE START  OFFSET (64) AS THE VALUE FOR THE UNLOCK OVERIDE /FORCE UNLOCK '.

Mk5A0wu.jpg

That's it. That shot is now unlocked.

Take note of the IE. The unlock is always IE bytes a way from the start of the configuration settings.

Now the number is not always 64.  Also a lot of slots share the same configuration settings data with other slots. Well come to that in the next two examples.

In example 2, I will be unlocking Barron Blade.

His slot ID (507)  in the list is FB 01 04 01 FB 01

We search for the value in Hxd and are presented with the following.

This is a different setup. You will notice it hasn't got a 64 and there isn't any other 64. With this slot , the configuration settings data is not in this position but is elsewhere in the file and probably shared with another slot. The question is where ?

TpC4eAn.jpg

I have lighted here the bytes 04 99 FF FF. The bytes here are the beginning of the profile data just like the 64 00 00 00 we had in the previous example.

You will also notice with this slot the 4th bytes after the beginning already has an 01 so there isn't anywhere to add the 01 byte like in the last example.

This is where things go a bit deeper and a bit of mathematics is involved so take time to understand this next section

The bytes 64 00 00 00 tell the game that this point is 64 bytes in front of its configuration data start point. 00000064 is a positive number

The 04 99 FF FF is like a negative number in hex.  

For instance in normal math -4 is 4 points behind  0. 4 is 4 points in front of 0 

The negative number is reversed as FF FF 99 04.

To work with this number, set your calculator to Programmer mode and also set to DWORD MODE as shown 

In this hex mode, 0-1 = FF FF FF FF so FF FF FF FF  IS READ AS -1.

nDBkLAA.jpg

What we do is REVERSE THE BYTES, enter FF FF 99 04 and lookup the value shown in the DEC row 

GCDlKX6.jpg

you will see here the value comes up as negative. This is normal. 

We just need the number 26364.

What it means is the configuration bytes location is 26364 decimal bytes in front of the location with the bytes 04 99 FF FF.

Wer now need to find where this location is within the file.

In Hxd , place the cursor just before 04 , then go to EDIT  - SELECT BLOCK as shown

BKQvqTk.jpg

Click and you are presented with a small window. First thing to do is change the setting to DEC as shown. Do this before typing any number.

t4fCgqR.jpg

Then type the number (ignore the negative symbol) Doing this is telling Hxd to show us the offset position 26364 decimal bytes in front .

04tUDTk.jpg

Press ok and you sill see there is a block of data highlighted . Scroll to the end and you will wee if begins with a 64. This is where the configuration data is located.

8T07WKa.jpg

Remember in the previous example The byte which is offset length 1E away from the start is the bytes for the unlock. You will see here its set to 00

If you go back , you will remember the 4th bytes in Barron Blades data is already set to 01 but it will not be active since the data here is set to 00.

Change the 00 to 04 and that will make the 01 active.

The thing here is this data is also the configuration data setting for another slot. In this case its the slot which starts 64 points below it. Sometimes in addition to that slot, there could be another slot somewhere which also shares the same data.

So the question is, which character slot  has the slot shared with Blade. 

From the screenshot the ID is C2 01 CE 00 C2 01. When I lookup the Data in the spreadsheet,  it's the slot for Mr CQ. (450)

ZBcHOHd.jpg

When you closely inspect the data in that slot, you will notice the 4th bytes after the 64 00 00 00 is set to 01 which will mean the slot is also unlocked. 

But what of if you just wanted to unlock Barron Blade and  and not Mr CQ, just set the 4th byte after the 64  as 00 on this slot and that will disable the slot till you change the 00 back to 01.

The last example will be data used for some of the MyGM Jobbers. I will cite one example here.

I will use Chester  ( ID 880).  IN the sheet the ID is 70 03 1E 02 70 03

Lookup this ID in the charprofile file and you will be presented with the following.

You will notice there isn't a 64 here. The value is 60. The MyGM jobber slots which are not shared have this value

There is also another 60 which is 60  bytes behind. The unlock bytes will still be at the position 1E from the start of the first 60. The unlock will be set as the 4th byte after the second 60

You follow the same procedure as the other two examples.

LYmgrkZ.jpg

These 3 examples cover everything to do with setting slots as active including unused slots.

One thing to take note of is, if a slot is active, that doesn't mean the character in the slot is unlocked. For instance a Myfaction character slot or showcase mode character might still be hidden as those have additional codes which developers use the hide them in the game.  This also does not set a character which is set as an alternate in a slot unlocked. 

Edited by BlindedByTheGrace
  • Glorious 1
  • Yes! 1

On 7/21/2022 at 6:23 PM, Shawnmansurrobinso said:

Every time I try to put a mod onto an unused slot that I have unlocked... It crashes the game. What am I doing wrong?

Hi. You can’t add a mod to an unused slot if you have not added the hash for the folder to the charactermapping file . 

On 7/22/2022 at 12:12 AM, mason44441 said:

For some reason, I tried to unlock The Rock '01 but it unlocked Shawn Michaels '97

Hi. Both share the same unlock but looks like you did not add the unlock byte  01 to the Rock 98’s data 

Edited by BlindedByTheGrace

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, thank you so much for spending the time and effort to create this incredibly detailed tutorial. It was overwhelming at first but after a while I think i managed to understand most of it!

I managed to unlock HBK '97 no problem using method one, and I then tried to unlock "Seth Rollins WM" which required method 2...

I did somehow actually manage to unlock the slot, however in the roster menu in-game, it shows as having the WWE icon next to it, and when you select that character it loads into the menu where you can unlock characters for VC and there's no way to play as him.

Is that what you were referring to when you said Myfaction/Showcase characters may still be hidden with additional codes? Is there any way to unlock these Myfaction Alts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 11:19 AM, BlindedByTheGrace said:

Hi. You can’t add a mod to an unused slot if you have not added the hash for the folder to the charactermapping file . 

Hi. Both share the same unlock but looks like you did not add the unlock byte  01 to the Rock 98’s data 

I want to unlock rock 98 i did everything saved the file and put it in mods/character and bake dit nothing happened

where is charactermapping file ???

how to add hash for the folder to the charactermapping file?????????

pls help

i did everything saved the file in roster folder mods and baked nothing happened vroo

pls helpppppppp

On 8/4/2022 at 4:23 AM, Tidal said:

First of all, thank you so much for spending the time and effort to create this incredibly detailed tutorial. It was overwhelming at first but after a while I think i managed to understand most of it!

I managed to unlock HBK '97 no problem using method one, and I then tried to unlock "Seth Rollins WM" which required method 2...

I did somehow actually manage to unlock the slot, however in the roster menu in-game, it shows as having the WWE icon next to it, and when you select that character it loads into the menu where you can unlock characters for VC and there's no way to play as him.

Is that what you were referring to when you said Myfaction/Showcase characters may still be hidden with additional codes? Is there any way to unlock these Myfaction Alts?

dude iam not able to unlock i changed wut was needed for shawn michaels and then saved the file in mods roster baked it

Nothing happened lol

On 7/22/2022 at 4:42 AM, mason44441 said:

For some reason, I tried to unlock The Rock '01 but it unlocked Shawn Michaels '97

iam not able to unlock i open hxd editor then make changes

save the file inside mods roster folder bake it at 08 

nothing happens no superstar unlocked

On 8/4/2022 at 1:43 PM, Twistedmisery666™ said:

when are we gonna be able add ppl as dlc?

pls help

On 7/24/2022 at 8:49 AM, BlindedByTheGrace said:

Hi and thanks for your tutorials! Is there a tutorial on how to add a mod character into empty slot from how to rename the folder and models to adding the hashes? It would be really appreciated to be able to add characters without replacing someone.

Edit: the game has dozens of JOBBER characters that use a stock photo. They're easily made playable with CheatEngine, is it possible to just replace them instead? Or they work like prebaked CAWs and don't reference a full model?

Edited by Kasumi

11 hours ago, Kasumi said:

Hi and thanks for your tutorials! Is there a tutorial on how to add a mod character into empty slot from how to rename the folder and models to adding the hashes? It would be really appreciated to be able to add characters without replacing someone.

Edit: the game has dozens of JOBBER characters that use a stock photo. They're easily made playable with CheatEngine, is it possible to just replace them instead? Or they work like prebaked CAWs and don't reference a full model?

pls help iam not able to unlock any superstar using hxd editor

making changes and saving the file and baking it 

• 4 months later...

Hey man great tutorial and I'm making my way through. 

I've tried unlocking in game xpac DX version and road dogg DX version but both say I need to purchase them from the purchase section...which is already done. I'm guessing this is what you mean by models still blocked. Do you know I way to unblock this yet?