Universe Mode Won't Load [CTD] - FIXED!

CyberOcelot

I vaguely recall that there is something we can do when Universe Mode won't load.

My game  crashes to desktop every time I try to load any of the Universe Mode slots. 

I have already tried clearing and regen of  chunk file. I also tried restarting the system.

Since I haven't saved in a little while, I'm hoping there's a way to get it to load again? 

EDIT: Answer linked below. This worked. I would only add that you may need to force save before you try test loading Universe Mode (As that was required for me.)

Edited by CyberOcelot

Which version is this? 1.09/1.12

You must delete some of your caws, and make sure its less than 60-80mb

Go to deletion utility and see how much file size is taken up by caws...

But before going to delete anything, find out where your save file is stored, and back it up, do not just delete anything without backing up

There are no CAWs as I am using the CAW slots in CCT mod. I have already long since used the deletion utility to remove all unused images and whatnot. 

The save stopped working after Universe crashed while playing and likely corrupted the file. 

I see the game creates it's own backup in the save folder, and of course, there's also cloud saves. I'm not familiar with using either. 

I vaguely remember there was a method to get Universe Mode running again when this happens, but no matter how much I search, I'm not finding anything. 

Edited by CyberOcelot

• CyberOcelot changed the title to Universe Mode Won't Load [CTD] - FIXED!

Not sure why I had better success finding this today, but it appears @Cave Waverider[THANK YOU!] already answered this question some time ago.

I would only add that a force save may be necessary before loading Universe Mode for the first time.

Here's the link to the thread I found with the fix, in case anyone else wants to bookmark it too. 🙃 

I've updated the OP as well.

Edited by CyberOcelot
  • Yes! 1