Forum Upgrade - New Features List + Report Any Problems Here

Smacktalks

I'm currently in the process of installing a few upgrades to the forum and a new skin, therefore there may be a few issues when viewing certain pages or posting new topics/replies.

If you notice any problems when using the forum can you please let me know about them in here and I'll see what I can do to fix them.

Cheers,

Paul

🚨 Current Problems to be Addressed 🚨

- Searching currently displays no results as the database is still being indexed following the upgrade.

- Part of the Browse sub-menu is cut off when viewing the forum on a TV monitor.

Light & Dark Skin Choice

• Depending on your preference you can choose to switch between a light and dark version of the new skin using the Sun and Moon icons at the top of the page.

Forum Changes Already Implemented

- PWM / 2KM Partnership

• A new PWM / 2KM field has been added to profiles that allows users to link to thier PWMods account.
  • Completing this field will see a new PWMods button added to your topics/posts underneath your profile.

- New Forum Ranks

• The upgrade caused the old ranks to be reset, therefore I've enabled a new rank system that works with reward badges and the achievement system.
  • Rather than everyone starting on Rank 0, I've calculated rank scores by adding together total posts + reputation points.

- Avatars now shown if a user is online when viewing the forum homepage.

• If a user is online you'll see a green dot next to their avatar.
  • If a user is offline you'll see a red dot next to their avatar.

- The WWE 2K22 category is now "Upcoming Wrestling Games".

- New forums have been added for AEW Games and The Wrestling Code.

- User info on posts now shows post count and reputation rank.

- Custom Profile fields have been updated to show text based icons in place of the old coloured images.

• This change allows for faster loading speeds and helps declutter the area next to an author's post.

- A Topic Summary sidebar is now displayed in all topics containing 3 or more pages.

• The topic summary includes details on when the topic started, top posters, highly rated posts, etc.
  • You can view an example of it here

- Topics that feature replies after long periods of time now shown "One Week Later", "One Month Later", etc. to help show that a topic is old.

Modding Wiki

The Modding Wiki has also been updated: https://smacktalks.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

The dark border from the old skin didn't display properly therefore I've removed it for the time being until I can properly customise the skin.

If you visited the Wiki whilst I was updating it you may notice the logo shows as the default Media Wiki logo, however if you perform a hard refresh (Ctrl+F5) this should clear your cache and load the new logo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, matt2282p said:

Yeah theres a glaring omission now.   By the peoples names it no longer shows how many likes they have, but how many times theyve commented instead.  So now it shows as if the most revered members here are the ones who chat the most.  Thats ridiculous.  Please please change that.  

I've updated this to show both comments and reputation points.

Reputation Points currently show as a Star but the icon can be changed if people have any other icon suggestions.

1 minute ago, Mach3 said:

the site is now loading a bit slower but before it was loading fast as we click the link to the site

This could be caused by upgrade as theres still a few processes running in the background (That's why the search system is currently down).

If it's still the same once the processes finish i'll see if theres any additional ways I can optimise it to help speed things up.

• Thanks 1

• Smacktalks changed the title to Forum Upgrade - New Features List + Report Any Problems Here

In regards to Ranks...

After looking into it, Reputation and Ranks are separate. However...

- If someone reacts to a post it awards 1 point to Rank AND Reputation.

- If someone performs an action such as creating a post, following a topic, etc. that awards 1 point to Rank but NOT Reputation.

Based off of this, I'm going to set everyone's Rank value to be their total number of posts + their reputation.

• Like 2
  • Yes! 1

6 hours ago, Impaler said:

I like the upgrade :) it took quite a while before you around got to it but glad you eventually did. 😀

Thanks! I can't take all the credit as the skin itself was one I bought, I just customised it a bit.

• Like 2

It's pretty nice, although I'd love to see an option to minimize the banner or shrink it to the height of the smacktalks logo on it. It takes up way too much screen real estate.

Perhaps the post background on the dark skin could be made a shade lighter or the font a shade darker. The post background is really dark on an OLED screen and the light text is so "shiny" it's hard to read.

As for the Wiki situation, is there any way we could restore the old Cascading Style Sheet of the Wiki to get proper formatting back?

I'll see what I can do for you. I might be able to set it so theres an option to collapse/shrink the banner and store the setting locally so it works on all pages.

1 hour ago, Cave Waverider said:

As for the Wiki situation, is there any way we could restore the old Cascading Style Sheet of the Wiki to get proper formatting back?

For the Wiki, the forum required an upgrade to the version of PHP that was installed and the Wiki isn't compatible with that version.

I'm planning to upgrade the wiki to the latest version so that it is compatible but I want to try it on a backup first as it's not straight forward

• Like 1

thanks for all the updates. It's really gotten better every few hours. The only bug I've noticed is on this page.

https://smacktalks.org/forums/online/?filter=filter_loggedin

If there are more than 9 members logged in, the container goes far beyond 100% width (maybe 140ish). when only a few online members, it fits on the page.

*edit - unless you guys have been messing/testing with the width on those pages today, if so, ignore my super sleuth reporting.

Edited by B4G.TV

That's definitely not supposed to look like that, i'll see if I can adjust the wrapper to stop it stretching.

Update on the Wiki

I ran into a few problems with the upgrade as unzipping the .tar file on Windows caused some files to extract over themselves.

I've extracted the upgrade using Git Bash which is said to stop the overwrites occurring so I'll see how this goes...

9 hours ago, B4G.TV said:

https://smacktalks.org/forums/online/?filter=filter_loggedin

If there are more than 9 members logged in, the container goes far beyond 100% width (maybe 140ish). when only a few online members, it fits on the page.

The online users page should now be fixed but i'd have to double check it once theres more users online.

Wiki Update

The Modding Wiki has now been updated: https://smacktalks.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

The dark border from the old skin didn't seem to display properly therefore i've removed it for the time being until I can properly customise the skin.

If you've visited the Wiki whilst I was updating it you may notice the logo shows as the default Media Wiki logo, however if you perform a hard refresh (Ctrl+F5) this should clear your cache and load the new logo.

Embedded Topics / Posts

The colouring on embedded Topics and and Posts has now been updated as these were previously all white and unreadable.

Example

On 9/1/2021 at 8:49 AM, Smacktalks said:

I've updated this to show both comments and reputation points.

Reputation Points currently show as a Star but the icon can be changed if people have any other icon suggestions.

I personally liked the rep/likes being gone from the post badge as it removes egos on the forum

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pepsiguy2 said:

I personally liked the rep/likes being gone from the post badge as it removes egos on the forum

I totally disagree.

Some of the most modest people on the site are the ones that have the highest reputation points.   No one on here has an ego based on ranks.  To me this is an awesome way to show appreciation for everyone who contributed to this site.  And im happier now to be a member than i have ever been.     

It sounds yet again like youre just trying to cut down others achievements.   Nothing is stopping you from ascending but yourself.    You just posted how youre taking time off.   So enjoy your rest!!!!

Edited by matt2282p
  • Yes! 1

Love this redesign! 

• I ran into search not working, but it looks like you already know about that.
  • My PC is hooked up to a fairly large 4KTV, and when floating over "Browse", the left side of the sub-menu is cut off / off-screen.  
  • Also, and this is mostly going to be for new members, I didn't realize I needed to scroll down to see the forum on the home screen. I went to "Browse" and clicked "forums" several times before I realized it. Not sure what the solution there would be, but wanted to make you aware of that initial experience.
  • I found out that you're aware of search being down through discussion here. As this thread grows, it might be beneficial to add a section to the OP listing all known issues to avoid repeated reports. 
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CyberOcelot said:
  • I ran into search not working, but it looks like you already know about that.
  • I found out that you're aware of search being down through discussion here. As this thread grows, it might be beneficial to add a section to the OP listing all known issues to avoid repeated reports. 

That's a good point, i'll add it to the first post.

If the indexing hasn't finished tomorrow morning i'll turn the site offline for a few hours and try manually running the tasks to push it through.

• Also, and this is mostly going to be for new members, I didn't realize I needed to scroll down to see the forum on the home screen. I went to "Browse" and clicked "forums" several times before I realized it. Not sure what the solution there would be, but wanted to make you aware of that initial experience.

I'll have a look into reducing the height of the banner to try and address this issue as it is quite large.

• My PC is hooked up to a fairly large 4KTV, and when floating over "Browse", the left side of the sub-menu is cut off / off-screen.  

Would you mind sending me a screenshot of how this looks?

I might be able to adjust the width of the forum based on resolution but i'd have to look into that further.

On 9/4/2021 at 7:26 AM, Smacktalks said:

That's a good point, i'll add it to the first post.

If the indexing hasn't finished tomorrow morning i'll turn the site offline for a few hours and try manually running the tasks to push it through.

I'll have a look into reducing the height of the banner to try and address this issue as it is quite large.

Would you mind sending me a screenshot of how this looks?

I might be able to adjust the width of the forum based on resolution but i'd have to look into that further.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aOg9bOUtyu8hPKyYdmWwgoTsYhNmTeoO/view?usp=drivesdk