Serious problems with reversal system

Guyleaf

I haven't played a wwe game since 2k14 as it was supposed to be pretty good along with this iteration being 2k19, being one of the best out of the series recently since then. I was pretty good at 2k14 and found it relatively easy even on hard difficulty but I am having serious trouble with 2k19 and was wondering what more experienced players thoughts on my dilemma would be? 

Basically, the reversal system just doesn't seem to work for me and has even managed to illicit controller throwing responses from me which is very rare due to the super frustration. I just can't seem to hit the reverse at the right time I always get "too fast" or "too slow" and end up losing the entire match half of the time. I will be doing well or okay, and then suddenly when the CPUs health is almost depleted they just start reversing nonstop and I lose the entire match like that. I can't make progress in Myplayer career either or unlock more things from the game or is really frustrating. 

I was wondering should I just practice more or is there a trick I am not aware of? I could make custom caws with every move and speed and then practice the specific timing for every move and that would work

but with the load times it doesn't seem worth the amount of time it would take and also a huge hindrance and inconvenience.

Edited by Guyleaf