TUTORIAL/DISCUSSION: Showcase Mode Modding

tomwearsglasses

Hey everyone!  I've been working for a while on figuring out how to bring some more Create-a-Story type creative functionality to the game.  Recently, I've made a lot of progress in figuring out how to make changes to the Showcase mode.

This tutorial includes much more thorough info that what I'm posting here:

WWE 2K19 Showcase Mode Editing Guide
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H2E-lytWGIM086FQRQiNrsud9ENbACUvX06Ei0aBYRQ/edit#heading=h.89w9u71m7erf

Basically, it breaks down how to modify the in-game matches by changing your character, changing opponents/managers, and changing arenas.  You can also change the main menu to display different text and renders.

InGame.png

Menu-Screen.png

Here, I'm much more interested in talking about what DOESN'T work yet than what does.  I'll update the document as more is discovered.  Specifically, the area that needs the most research is anything related to triggers, objectives, cutscenes, etc.

Files that need to be more thoroughly dissected:
- storymode_logic.pac, storymode_qte.pac, storymode_story.pac
- story_datalist.pac

Other open questions:
- I expect that there are similar files that guide the 2K Towers mode, but I haven’t found or attempted to dissect those yet.
- Where and how are the cutscenes stored, and can they be modified to work when the match participants are changed?
- Is it possible to remove triggers to the cutscenes, so that match just plays through?  Can we create new objectives?
- Can other things be triggered, like videos, the promo engine, etc.?
- Not sure how similar/different the file structure is compared to previous games. 

I also created an example mod, which should be helpful is seeing how these edits work in practice.  You can download that here.

I'll try to keep this and the tutorial updated.

Edited by tomwearsglasses
  • Like 4
  • Glorious 3

46 minutes ago, B4G.TV said:

This is awesome @tomwearsglasses. Most of my spare time is messing with this stuff. I'll help you however I can.

Sweet!  If you wanna check out the example mod I posted it's a pretty good example of what the tutorial explains, and you can kinda see where the gaps are.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...