Someone modded 2K20 months ago

Ace Cashman

I haven't came across any posts mentioning this so I thought I'd bring this to everyone's attention. I was looking on YouTube and saw a video from April where a group of guys are messing around in 2K20 via mods (weird venue mods, including someone's bedroom), which means the game is moddable after all. The problem is the creators refuse to answer how they managed to do it, saw multiple people ask them in the comments with no response. I'm not a modder myself so I have no idea where I would even start, this post is mainly directed at the people who do and are willing to see if they're able to figure it out.

• Like 1

Hi,

10 hours ago, Ace Cashman said:

I haven't came across any posts mentioning this so I thought I'd bring this to everyone's attention. I was looking on YouTube and saw a video from April where a group of guys are messing around in 2K20 via mods (weird venue mods, including someone's bedroom), which means the game is moddable after all. The problem is the creators refuse to answer how they managed to do it, saw multiple people ask them in the comments with no response. I'm not a modder myself so I have no idea where I would even start, this post is mainly directed at the people who do and are willing to see if they're able to figure it out.

well seeing is believing.

If you know the links to the YouTube videos you saw, can you post them here so we can view and assess the content.

4 hours ago, squaredcirclefan said:

Hi,

well seeing is believing.

If you know the links to the YouTube videos you saw, can you post them here so we can view and assess the content.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ace Cashman said:

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the video.

This is not actually a modded 2k20 game. 

All that is done here is selected a match type and swap the selected arena with a backstage set or one of the backstage sets used in My Career mode. This can be done with the paid tool 2k20 PC Trainer by KG971. it is mainly a Cheat Engine based tool which just loads the data and makes changes  in memory when characters or assets are selected.

When we are talking about modding a game like we do here and on the 2k modding discord, we are basically doing the following

1. Modifying data in the game's files so we can create a model of a character not in the game and import it into the game's files so it is selectable like a playable character. (not a CAW)

2. Add arenas or other assets and objects which are not part of the game, like gfx files, changing the menu gfx or images, text etc.

3. Port over animations  movesets and characters from other previous games by adding the files to the game with some modifications.

4. Unlock any hidden game assets which the developers locked in the game.

Since we can't open the 2k20 files we can't do any of these.

Swapping arenas and backstage areas in a match like they did does not require adding files to the game or opening files. However, if they wanted to use a custom created arena model (not a CC arena) then they will need to inject the files which is not possible.

• Like 3