Successfully backup/restore this game

Seattlejedi

Hi everyone,

My success for backing up and restoring this game is 0%, and its very frustrating.

I have Googled all sites with details around the process to backup your files (short version):
1. Take game/Steam offline
2. Backup entire folder of Steam User profile for game ID 817130

And to restore (short version):
1. Take game/Steam offline
2. Replace files
3. Start game, make minor update and save

I have five months worths (5 copies of the folder) of saves but NOTHING works.

Today, I start the game, of playing 301hrs, and it tells me "Welcome to WWE 2k19".  Okay, no worries as Ill just use a backup folder.  So I take the other five months worth of backups and either I get:
-- "Welcome to WWE 2k19"
or
-- "Game file is corrupted"

I have even backed up the entire game folder as well.

So, I cant figure out how to restore this game when it becomes corrupted.  Twice I have had to deal with this, first time I gave up and started clean, but I do not want to keep doing this.

What am I doing wrong, is there a tool that can do this automatically?  I really do not want to switch to WWE2k20 but I also want to restore as this is the 2nd time this has happened.

Any insights/advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

No idea if this helps anyone else or not, but I was able to get my game working again.

If I keep Steam offline, the saved game files that I backed up work just fine.  If I put Steam back online, it corrupts the files.  I cant figure out why, but its happening.

So I just backup every time I start the game (which I have automated with Powershell) and keep Steam in off-line mode when needed, and my saved games work just fine.  So the backup process works in my original post, I just now keep Steam offline