State of modding address - something interesting

tekken57

Good morning everyone. 

I have been receiving a ton of emails and pm's asking me about modding 2k20. I'm travelling with work for the next two weeks, so I've taken a look at the game briefly and figured I share what I've found so far:

1. The save file. As @pozzum mentioned, the offsets for the save keeps changing each time the game is restarted meaning that any code which dumps and writes to the save won't work with fixed offsets. 

I have tried editing the save using my usual methods and I am able to change the wrestler info, inject movesets, etc, however like I said the offsets have to be entered manually each time the game is rebooted. Modding the save in memory is going to be very difficult. 

@Cave Waverider , here's a few sample wrestler info and moveset files I have dumped should you require it. I've taken the moveset dump by adding a four byte pad in front of the moveset so that the file remains compatible with the offsets for the previous game. The wrestler info seems to have the same offsets for name, id, etc but both the wrestler info and moveset files are a different size from previous games. Wreslter info seems to be 956 bytes long and movesets are 3424 bytes long. 

Samples: https://www5.zippyshare.com/v/QoszWFan/file.html

2. I have not taken a look at the cak files so I don't know how this archive was packed / encrypted / compressed. However I was sent some model and texture files to analyse. It would seem that the model and texture files are completely different this year. The textures are no longer dds files but are compressed. I've had to write custom code into X-Packer to decompress the texture files. 

When decompressed the color textures are DDS DXT1, hair is DXT5 and the normal / roughness / metal textures are using ATI1N or ATI2N DDs formats. The AT1 formats are not viewable in photoshop, but you can use the Compressonator to view and export these files. There doesn't seem to be any AO or MR textures for the wrestler model from the files that were sent to me, which may explain what the models look like a visual downgrade from last year. 

fiend.jpg

3. I haven't had the time to look at the model files in depth but from a quick glance, I can tell that the model format is completely different from previous games. It will take a lot time to reverse engineer the format and code tools to support this format. It is very unlikely that you will be able to use models from previous games in 2k20, but we will only know for certain once we can extract and repack the cak archives. 

I have a strong suspicion that the yobj model and pac format was owned by Yukes and this is the reason why there are new model and textures formats this year. That would also explain the vast difference in quality between models from last year and the glitches which are occurring (rigging issues?). 

In summary, I'm not certain what can be modded in the game as yet. The new archive file system, models and textures means that there is a significant amount of work to be done.  

As I stated at the start, I am travelling with work at the moment, and will only be back in two weeks time. I won't have access to the game to do any further analysis until I am back. So if you have any questions, please post in this thread and I'll try to answer as best as I can whilst travelling. 

• Like 7
  • Too Sweet 1
  • Thanks 4

There is a definitive downgrade in texture/model quality whilst searching through my ninja ripper dumps. I'm the guy who emailed you Hogan, btw.

Here's a Becky rip I did

73vTzSS.png

On a lot of models, I've noticed abs are severely lower quality. Like they're missing smooth groups or something. Normally I'd chalk this up to a bad rip, but it's clearly visible in game on PC and my Xbox. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tekken57 said:

I have a strong suspicion that the yobj model and pac format was owned by Yukes and this is the reason why there are new model and textures formats this year. That would also explain the vast difference in quality between models from last year and the glitches which are occurring (rigging issues?). 

Since the y in yobj stands for Yuke's, it makes sense, so probably yes for both.

3 hours ago, Pepsiguy2 said:

On a lot of models, I've noticed abs are severely lower quality. Like they're missing smooth groups or something. Normally I'd chalk this up to a bad rip, but it's clearly visible in game on PC and my Xbox. 

Hm. Could it be using the same models as NBA 2k? I'd guess abs aren't as important for NBA players that always wear jerseys.

I'm unfamiliar with the NBA 2k Modding community, do they have any tools to edit models, etc..? Does anybody own NBA 2k(20) on the PC to check if anything seems similar to WWE 2k20?

16 minutes ago, Cave Waverider said:

Since the y in yobj stands for Yuke's, it makes sense, so probably yes for both.

Hm. Could it be using the same models as NBA 2k? I'd guess abs aren't as important for NBA players that always wear jerseys.

I'm unfamiliar with the NBA 2k Modding community, do they have any tools to edit models, etc..? Does anybody own NBA 2k(20) on the PC to check if anything seems similar to WWE 2k20?

They aren't, NBA2K uses IFF models and textures

• 2 weeks later...

After studying the mdl format for a few weeks, I've managed to make some headway. Haven't figured out the uv's as yet and there's a ton of work to be done still. 

I was hoping that the objects in the model was split in the same way as the yobj models so that I could try to port the older models, however the models are split completely different. There is one object for the entire body instead of individual arms, legs, etc. On the bright side, the cas parts seem to be the same format of the wrestler mdl files. 

Haven't figured out the material files as yet. 

This is what I've coded so far:

x-rey4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Tarnathos said:

Thank you for your effort, Tekken. This is something I do not get since years...instead of addressing real problems of the game they are always changing the file structure...

Yukes owns yobj. It says that in the first post. 

Figured out uv's last night. Very difficult to compute where the uv's are stored, but I think I've come up with some code which works. Tested on a few models and it seems fine. Can't seem to find the vertex normals in the model though, still searching. 

here's a textured preview:

orton-reptile.jpg

• Like 3
  • What? 1

Nah he said he had issues with the tool, the tool also extracted the UVs upside down these are displaying correctly. We're working on the final stuff with Tekken now (Bypassing Encryption) but I don't need any type of credit. I've only been a helping hand through it all with everyone involved that's all.

• Like 2

Still can't find the vertex normals in the mdl files. I'm starting to think that the model doesn't have this information hence the drop in detail on the models this year. 

Comparing the actual meshes in 3dsmax, reveal that the 2k19 models look almost identical to the 2k20 meshes with the exception of a few verts. To illustrate:

2k1920-comparison.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tekken57 said:

Still can't find the vertex normals in the mdl files. I'm starting to think that the model doesn't have this information hence the drop in detail on the models this year. 

Comparing the actual meshes in 3dsmax, reveal that the 2k19 models look almost identical to the 2k20 meshes with the exception of a few verts. To illustrate:

2k1920-comparison.jpg

@tekken57 From what I've seen/heard, they're also missing MR's and/or AO's so the texture quality just isn't there for 2k20. 

6 hours ago, Cus7ate9 said:

@tekken57 From what I've seen/heard, they're also missing MR's and/or AO's so the texture quality just isn't there for 2k20. 

no Vertex Normals, no MR maps, no AO maps. They just have a "Metal" mask texture and a roughness texture. And the bump map of course.

• 8 months later...
On 10/25/2019 at 12:35 AM, Pepsiguy2 said:

There is a definitive downgrade in texture/model quality whilst searching through my ninja ripper dumps. I'm the guy who emailed you Hogan, btw.

Here's a Becky rip I did

73vTzSS.png

Are u able to get out Alexa bliss and the feind models and textures out for me please