Sound Editor 2019 [Discontinued]

TheVisitorX

12 minutes ago, TheVisitorX said:

@DarkSynn337Which file did you use? It seems like you have changed the wrong file. Do not try to change the soundtrack file. Use the game_mode_m.pck.

That was my problem lol, I have noticed after reconverting the files with your new converter the sound seems little off, like the sound would high and low slightly, it might be just me I'll have to have a better test/look tomorrow.

Thanks for the help and for your support, I've got the xml files for 2k19 from SE2018 if it helps you/SE2019; it names all the main songs, theme, some shows etc. I'm hoping to name all the shows as it's been a while since I've played 2k games so I don't remember then straight away lol

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DarkSynn337 said:

That was my problem lol, I have noticed after reconverting the files with your new converter the sound seems little off, like the sound would high and low slightly, it might be just me I'll have to have a better test/look tomorrow.

Thanks for the help and for your support, I've got the xml files for 2k19 from SE2018 if it helps you/SE2019; it names all the main songs, theme, some shows etc. I'm hoping to name all the shows as it's been a while since I've played 2k games so I don't remember then straight away lol

Could be the new filter. The dynaudnorm filter is very much WIP. I've had the best results with the default settings. But it's hard to find settings for each track. The filter changes much on the dynamic range, which could be an issue. 

Thanks a lot for the tool.

I am having some problem with the menu music(I've applied the patch and I'm opening game_mode_m.pck file). While opening this file, instead of listing only menu music, it lists all soundtracks including commentary, audio from mycareer and showcase. I know this is WIP, but just wanted to know if its only me or everyone else. Thanks again.

5 hours ago, TheVisitorX said:

@devil172game_mode_m.pck has a lot more files, it isn't just for menu music. Make sure that you have sfx selected on the left. Order by size and you should find the menu soundtracks. 

Sorry, It was very silly on my part. I was comparing it to 2018 SE and thought that I might be doing something wrong. Didn't realize that the 2k changed the contents of the file. Thanks for clearing that up.

4 minutes ago, devil172 said:

Sorry, It was very silly on my part. I was comparing it to 2018 SE and thought that I might be doing something wrong. Didn't realize that the 2k changed the contents of the file. Thanks for clearing that up.

No problem :).

Any idea on the reason for the dB drop on imported audio?

I thought it might have something to do with the .wem conversion but it doesn't seem so.

Questions after playing around with SE:
I know the SE doesn't manipulate the names of the songs listed in the game - but is there a way to manipulate that at all?
Also - when patching out the menu music, will it be possible at some point (with a different tool) to manipulate the album art work, etc in the options menu?
Injecting audio seems to only replace what is there. Will it be possible to inject a song into an unused audio slot at a later time?  I foresee an issue with running out of available slots for custom entrance themes.

16 minutes ago, gogreyhound said:

Any idea on the reason for the dB drop on imported audio?

I thought it might have something to do with the .wem conversion but it doesn't seem so.

Questions after playing around with SE:
I know the SE doesn't manipulate the names of the songs listed in the game - but is there a way to manipulate that at all?
Also - when patching out the menu music, will it be possible at some point (with a different tool) to manipulate the album art work, etc in the options menu?
Injecting audio seems to only replace what is there. Will it be possible to inject a song into an unused audio slot at a later time?  I foresee an issue with running out of available slots for custom entrance themes.

DB drop? With dynaudnorm filter in SE 2019 the audio is normalized to its maximum. The curve is really similar to the default files. More isn't possible. If it's still not loud enough, I can't do much.

Manipulating the song names should be possible, but I'm not sure where this information is located. It could be in the string file, but I'm not sure. Maybe somewhere else. That information isn't located in the wem or bnk file. Regarding the album art.. If you find the pac file with the textures, it should be possible to change them.

New sound files can already be added via a new pck archive, but the problem is to tell the game that they exist. It needs multiple things.

- A new or edited bnk file (this includes all the sound events),
- A new wem file
- And also a way to tell the game that this new files exist

Currently it is not completely clear how we can add the new files to the game and what the new BNK file must look like. The format is unfortunately nowhere properly documented. So you need a lot of reverse engineering.

That means, for now it is not possible to add new songs. Maybe in the future it will at least be possible to add the missing themes from 2K18.

1 hour ago, TheVisitorX said:

DB drop? With dynaudnorm filter in SE 2019 the audio is normalized to its maximum. The curve is really similar to the default files. More isn't possible. If it's still not loud enough, I can't do much.

Yeah there is a noticeable drop in dB level on a song that I have imported.  It's the only song I've imported, and I've tried it over multiple songs just to make sure the slot doesnt have some programmed effect.  

Is there a way to turn off the normalization, or to adjust the amount of compression the normalizer is applying in the conversion?  I think that may be the issue.  The song has a quiet intro and then increases in volume for the rest of the song.  It seems the normalization is compressing it all to a common volume, rather than acting as a limiter.

You can turn off normalization by deselecting the checkbox located in the upper right corner ("Enable"). Then you can use an external audio program to optimize the sound accordingly. Or you try it with the 4 controls (p, s, f, g) in SE. I am not sure if they are sufficient for your case.

Edited by TheVisitorX

3 minutes ago, TheVisitorX said:

You can turn off normalization by deselecting the checkbox located in the upper right corner ("Enable"). Then you can use an external audio program to optimize the sound accordingly. Or you try it with the 4 controllers in SE. I am not sure if they are sufficient for your case.

Oh i see it now! I tend to overlook the obvious answers when I'm experimenting.

I'll play around and see how things turn out.  I'm sure that I should be able to mix in protools and keep alot of the work out of SE if I can remove normalization and compression.

Thanks

Edited by gogreyhound
Turning off the normalizer works perfectly!

If someone with more knowledge regarding audio editing and maybe ffmpeg filters in general has some hints for optimal export settings, please let me know. I would be very grateful. Maybe I can then expand SE with more options and settings.

You can find more information regarding ffmpeg audio filters here and here for dynaudnorm.

There is a first data.xml update available via the builtin updater, which adds some missing themes. Thank you @Cave Waverider.

Edited by TheVisitorX

@punkex Thank you! If anyone else has added or corrected some missing data, please send me your custom_data.xml file, it does include all your changes that you have made in SE.

Next data.xml update (1.0.2) has been released! Menu music tracks have been added. Thank you @punkex!

• Like 1

I may be an absolute idiot here but can you not go through and fill in the missing file names yourself in the app? Like there's tons of missing ID's that I can do myself but they don't seem to be saving.

28 minutes ago, djones360 said:

I may be an absolute idiot here but can you not go through and fill in the missing file names yourself in the app? Like there's tons of missing ID's that I can do myself but they don't seem to be saving.

After you make changes, you'll have to restart Sound Editor for them to show up when you load the same file again. Your changes are saved in the file custom_data.xml, which is the one you can then send to @TheVisitorX so he can permanently incorporate the names into the next update of SE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know, all this adf.ly related sites are crap, but they generate some, if not much, money, which helps me to publish my tools for free. The development of this tools costs time and money. But nobody has to pay anything and not all people have the money to donate, so this kind of ad providers is the only option I have. Just make sure that you don't click or download anything else from this domains. I know about the problem and I'm not really happy with that, but I have not found another solution yet. So I can't offer any other (direct) links, sorry. 

Edited by TheVisitorX
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, TheVisitorX said:

I know, all this adf.ly related sites are crap, but they generate some, if not much, money, which helps me to publish my tools for free. The development of this tools costs time and money. But nobody has to pay anything and not all people have the money to donate, so this kind of ad providers is the only option I have. Just make sure that you don't click or download anything else from this domains. I know about the problem and I'm not really happy with that, but I have not found another solution yet. So I can't offer any other (direct) links, sorry. 

no problem keep up the great work brother

2 hours ago, TheVisitorX said:

I appreciate your work but is there literally no other way for me to get a hold of this? I can't even connect to the website with adblocker turned off etc