Trying to add extra attires in WWE 2K14 PS3. What am I doing wrong?

Impaler

I decided yesterday to give it a go with adding extra models to existing superstars of WWE 2K14. Having a big choice of models from 13, 15 & 16 games I tried doing the following and failed miserably. I hope you can set me straight. :)

1. I decided to give Hollywood Hulk Hogan an extra attire from 2K15. So I copied ch363.pac from both 2K14 and 2K15 games and extracted both pach's each of these pac have. Hogans CH PAC ID in both games is 363.

2. Then I downloaded the dummy pac which holds 10 attires. I successfully injected all 4 pach files in correct order and renamed them 00036302 & 00036304, 00036312 & 00036314. Did not touch the rest of dummy pachs in the dummy file.

3. In X-Packer I pressed Add additional attire data to arc and updated it. In both def files I renamed the path ch/ch363.pac to ch/363.pac. Uploaded arcs and defs to both game and games folders.

4. Uploaded 363.pac to GAMES ... CH folder.

5. I opened up misc01_start.pac I made the following change to set to 2 attires and some random name to attire #2, I press Save changes. I tried more than once setting something random like n.w.o., or wrestlemania 12, .etc.

26e03be3405ea7d3893ae5694dacee52849.png

6. So after editing misc01_start.pac I upload it back to both game and games folders where it should be.

7. Game loads, I select Hollywood, I press the button for another attire - nothing. Feels like he has only one attire. Nothing changes.

Then I tried adding all the attires in another pach. I found that 2K14 Alberto Del Rio has 2 attires with both entrance attires. I did the same steps for his pac. No luck.

57689208078d73a0103f195212251a4d461.png

I have all the official DLCs and title updates installed (just so you know).

I truly felt there is little space for error but I was proven wrong. Where did I go wrong?

And by the way I searched for an hour and did not find a definite answer if NEW strings can be added to the game? Or only old existing strings can be changed? If so do you think its a good idea to exchange strings of Cities and towns for unique strings for attires and future added cDLC characters?

@N'Jadaka

Edited by Impaler

Ill answer your last question first, there are a whole bunch of strings for the unlockables screen that can be replaced without losing anything of importance, as far as I know theres no way to add new strings. The addresses for these strings are listed in my tutorial about strings but probably more use would be to use the Strings tab on the WL spreadsheet, then you will know pretty much every sting available etc.

\i never use Xpacker for doing the alt-attires, I do it manually with Hex.

Why did you change the name of the pac file and edit the Def? The way I do it I wouldve just replaced ch363.pac with the new ch363.pac and updated the arc for additional attires.

Upload your misc_start01.pac if you want and ill have a look at the Hex

• Like 1

Thanks about the strings, yeah, unlockables texts are even more useless than cities and towns.

Why you don't use X-Packer? Does it screw something up? Also I just tried opening misc_start01.pac in hex and I see nothing but gibberish. I extracted the pach file within misc_start01.pac and loaded it in hex - still pretty much gibberish. :D But one thing though, in X-Packer I believe I noticed that in columns like A2 not all the hex strings seem to appear that are shown when you hover on WWE 2K14 Attire values text. Strange. And there's no manual override.

About renaming. I just followed the pattern from the past like with arenas where you let the original arena remain as bgxxx.pac and replace new one with xxx.pac and update the defs. Alright. I will stop doing that, though I believe it should not cause any issues. Because prior to that I successfully replaced Justin Gabriel's model with Sting and in def files I made it point to xxx.pac instead of chxxx.pac.

Here's my misc pac - https://www59.zippyshare.com/v/yCg1sY9X/file.html

Edited by Impaler

Ok I see the problem, you set both of Hogans attires to have the same name so when you were trying to select them it looked like nothing had changed. Set the 2nd attire to have a different name.

Apart from that everything looks fine

I dont use Xpacker to do alt attires because it automatically unlocks all the default attires, I had locked some intentionally and it messes that up just by opening the file in Xpacker. Doing it manually gives me more control over exactly whats going on plus I can choose the attire names I want rather than pick from the list Tekken added to Xpacker.

Edited by Red Rooster
  • Like 1

Okay, I'll double check everything once I get back from work.

Well but in my case when I do not need anything locked I should be fine using X-Packer right? At least to activate the number of attires for certain in-game wrestlers and temporarily set some new alt. attire names for those I have imported. Then later use Hex editor so set the real names that I want, right @Red Rooster?

Edited by Impaler

Dude go back to selecting Hollywood, it looks like everything you did was right. When you scroll left or right to select the alt attire, listen to the sound of the game. If it makes that usual clicking noise than you sucessfully added a additional attire.

The reason the name doesn't visually change for the second attire is because in the misc pac you set the second attire to the exact same name in the strings as the first, so the text remained the same but the attire is selectable and in there. If you wanna go into the misc file and select a different file go right ahead.

The only error I could possibly see is you may be updating the wrong misc file and putting it into the wrong folder. The misc file should be placed in the "game" folder, in the last dlc file(I think its catalog05 or something, its the third one with the highest value). Thats the only thing you didnt elaborate on that I can possibly forsee a issue with. Also make sure you're updating that specific file from the game folder and not the default misc file from the Games folder.

Edited by N'Jadaka
  • Like 1

@N'Jadaka I tried changing value to another and it did not work, no alt attire showed up, and regardless of that I chose the default attire and game froze before matchup screen. Something is not right. Either with ch.pac file or something else entirely. I'm starting to feel that Hulk Hogan is bad luck for me. I tried changing main menu render to hollywood and that didn't pan out too. :D Will take another wrestler and try this all over again.

My directory structure looks like this:

game/BLES01937/USRDIR/pac/misc01_start.pac (opens correctly in xpacker)
                     /catalog003/pac/misc_dlc05.pac (gives error about no attires being on that file)
                     /catalog004/
                     /catalog005/

I edited the first one

If the game freezes before the match up screen then that means there's an issue with the arc file, are you putting the updated Arc files into the game folder also are you renaming the PAC files in the def file to match the renamed pac?

• Like 1

I did the same procedure to 343 pac for Brock Lesnar. I'm extremely confused now.

I took ch119.pac (andre the giant pac, it has 2 in-ring attires, no entrance attires, like lesnar).

I added one main attire from 2k14 and one from lesnar 2k16. changed file names within the pac/pach. updated arcs via add additional attire data to.

changed misc01_start.pac.

and I uploaded everything to both game/games folders overwriting original files. game loads, no extra attire. perhaps its superstar threads, I made brock one of those, will try to delete it and relaunch.

got rid of threads. still the same.

I have a feeling that misc pac is not being read by the game. where exactly should it be placed?

Edited by Impaler

No you dont need to update arcs for the misc files, only save the file at the bottom of the screen in xpacker. I'm at work so I cant look directly into my ps3 but Im pretty sure its the misc03 file that needs updating, but bear with me I cant go and checl and wont be able to for another 8 hrs or so

Here's the steps to add alt attires in ps3

Rename pac file(I do from ch101.pac to 101.pac)

Inject pachs & make sure they're numbered right (00010102, 00010104, 00010112, 00010114, etc)

Update both arcs in X-Packer to add additional attires

Change ch101.pac to 101.pac in both the def files using a text editor like notepad.

Update the 101 slot in misc pac to have __ number of attires.

Put 101.pac in the ch folder in the GAMES folder.

dev/hdd0//GAMES/BLES01937-[WWE 2K14]/PS3_GAME   /USRDIR/

Put the updated arc and def files in the usr folder in the game folder. 

dev/hdd0//game/BLES01937-[WWE 2K14]/PS3_GAME/USRDIR/

Put the updated misc file in the catalog005 folder in the game folder

dev/hdd0//game/BLES01937-[WWE 2K14]/PS3_GAME   /USRDIR/catalog005

@Impaler

Edited by N'Jadaka
  • Glorious 1
  • Yes! 1

@N'Jadaka thanks for taking time to write this all down. I'll be home for lunch-break in 3.5 hours and will try your way.

But before that are you sure that misc01_start.pac, which originally sits in

game/BLES01937/USRDIR/pac/

after editing should be moved to

game/BLES01937/USRDIR/pac/catalog005/pac/

though there is no such file to overwrite?

I'm pretty sure I tried opening it though the only file there that "matches the description" was misc_dlc05.rar and when I tried opening it in x-packer I got error that there are no attire info on that file or something similar. I will double check it later but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

Thank you so much @N'Jadaka. Yes the misc_dlc03.pac now reacts to the changes made!

However I did this quite quickly and still was unable to get it done completely right. I tried adding Brock's attire from 2K16 into 2K14.

I took McMahon's pac to use as base because it has two attires (no entrance attires). Injected Brock's attires from 2K14 (00034302) and 2K16 (00034312). Clicked add additional attires to. Updated both arcs. Changed defs to 343.pac

In selection screen I select 2nd attire. All goes well. I set entrances to ON. The injected attire IS VISIBLE during the entrance. BUT when the loading screen after entrances is just about to end and match should begin - black screen and frozen PS3 happens.

Since I did it in a hurry during lunch. Perhaps I messed something up, but shouldn't even the entrance not work if I messed something up? Will try some more later in the evening. taking models also from 2k15/13.

BTW if I use the dummypac there is no need to do anything else besides injecting the right pachs and renaming them accordingly to target pac ID and clicking add additional attire to, right?

Edited by Impaler

Yaaay!! I got it working!! Thanks a lot @N'Jadaka!!

Had a feeling I was running out of ways where I was messing up. This tut you gave me a link to should be pinned.

Now awaits a process of adding many alt. attires from other games and putting them into 2K14! Excited! :)

Edited by Impaler
  • Woo 1

• 5 years later...