JR & Jerry Lawler on Commentary Project

FaTaL MorTaL

Hey all, currently I am trying to work on a commentary mod. I already have 5+ hours of Crystal Clear Commentary from JR & Jerry Lawler already. I seen the Sound Editor 2018 and I feel very confident we can do this. The 1st thing I want to do is just change the commentators models with the correct ones. The only commentary model we will keep is Micheal Cole. What would the best way for this method? Can I create a CAW of the commentators I want then change Corey Graves with JR? I don't know if the current Custom Character Tools is able to do this. And if you guys have character ID's already it would be nice if you gave them to me.

Edited by FaTaL MorTaL
  • Like 1
  • Glorious 1

How do I change the models of the commentators. Do I have to make a CAW of Jim Ross in order to replace him with Corey Graves? Also, Can you provide me the ID's for commentators thanks.

Edited by FaTaL MorTaL

It's an interesting project, a little difficult I think because they just start mods tools, but it would be nice to also change the hostess of the ring, it sounds very robotic

I've been looking into large-scale sound and commentary modding in the past and it is possible and a very cool project - but it's also going to be a LOT of work.  I hope you do it if you're interested - but I wanted to give you fair warning.  One nice thing is that Sound Editor gets better every year and all the new features that @TheVisitorX has added are tremendously helpful for these large-scale projects.

For the actual commentary replacement, there are thousands of unique files of commentary, stretched out into many .pck files in the sound directory.  In order to make a significant dent in the game's commentary presentation, the two things I'd recommend starting with (because they're going to take so much time) are:

1. Collect lots of JR and King audio (probably from several previous games) and organize them well.
  2. Spend a lot of time cataloging the game audio using Sound Editor.

With 2K17, I tried logging the audio and came up with a system of tagging categories to each sound.  Basically, I followed this formula:

• [Initials of Commentator] [Referenced Wrestler or Categories] [Actual Spoken Comment]

So the entries would look something like:

• MC Austin Finisher Looks like Stone Cold is about to hit him with a Stunner!
  • JBL Submission Looks like he's about to tap out!

My idea was to be able to sort the game audio using these categories for replacement.  So you'd be able to search the word "Submission" and get a list of all of the commentary related to submission activity.  Or search for a specific wrestler and only get commentary related to them.  Or search by initials to only get a specific commentator.  I got through all of the DLC packs, and one of the big sound files - but it was still just a fraction of all the sound in the game.  And unfortunately, the files change a lot from year to year so each game basically starts from scratch.  This is a slow and time consuming process.  Your best bet is to try and have several people working on it - probably devoting some people to collecting commentary files and other people to logging the 2K18 in-game sound.

If you do find people interested in cataloging the sound - I also want to warn you that some sound files are duplicated in multiple .pck files.  And if you have two entries for the same sound in the data.xml file it crashes Sound Editor.  I had to be very careful last year when merging info into the data file from different sources.

Something else I started looking into with TheVisitorX late into last year's game was how the pck files are actually structured and how the game calls them.  In a few months, when I get more modding time again (and 2K hopefully patches this game up a bit) - I'll get 2K18 and try to make more progress with this.  With a better understanding of the file structure, it might be easier to track down sound locations and do things like turn off specific sections of commentary.  That would make this more manageable.

Finally, here's what I know about changing the commentary models.  You definitely can't do it with CAWs; commentators are loaded as PAC files so they have to be modded.  I tried it using a game character model (Bobby Heenan) - but so far haven't gotten it to work.  I think either the game has a smaller file size limit for commentators (as opposed to wrestling characters, which is 80MB), or there is something different about the files  for NPCs (either the model settings or skeleton or something).  It's another thing that I haven't figured out yet but I'm interested in exploring further.

The thing that does seem to work though is replacing NPCs with other NPCs.  At least in 2K16 and 2K17, you could swap around ring announcers, commentators, referees, etc.  So you should be able to grab Jerry Lawler's model from 2K15 and replace Byron Saxton.  I don't remember if Jim Ross shows up in the 2K16 Austin Showcase or elsewhere in the recent games.  If he does, you can try to port that model to 2K18.  If not, then you'd probably have to re-sculpt an existing NPC model into Jim Ross.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Re: Commentators Models

They are low poly models. Not quite last gen but not current gen either.  I made a Joey Styles mod last year and had to use Michael Cole as a base. JR is already in the 2k15 or 2k16 I believe.  King is in 2k15-2k17. Anytime else you want you’ll have to make from one of the commentators that already exist. 

Thank you all for your responses! I plan to make a Online Spreadsheet that we can use side by side with the Sound Editor so we can get through everything faster. It will have the commentators initials,lines, and a line with the link of the audio of the new commentator we are going to use that best fits the situation . I hope a lot of people are interested in helping so we could accomplish other things like having Tazz & Joey Styles on commentary as well. Also, @AznBlusuazn how did the Joey Styles mod go? I tried to find your work of him but, I could not find it. Was he moving properly at the announce table and everything?

Edited by FaTaL MorTaL

17 minutes ago, FaTaL MorTaL said:

Thank you all for your responses! I plan to make a Online Spreadsheet that we can use side by side with the Sound Editor so we can get through everything faster. It will have the commentators initials,lines, and a line with the link of the audio of the new commentator we are going to use that best fits the situation . I hope a lot of people are interested in helping so we could accomplish other things like having Tazz & Joey Styles on commentary as well. Also, @AznBlusuazn how did the Joey Styles mod go? I tried to find your work of him but, I could not find it. Was he moving properly at the announce table and everything?

Yes it worked fine.  In my signature check out my 2k17 mods to find Joey in there.  

Currently. I am working on a Commentary Mod I will need lots of support anyone that has Sound Editor can help out. This year, we will be modding in JR and Jerry Lawyer in replacement of Bryan Saxton and Corey Graves. Here is the link if you would like to help out. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DRLc2gYUuKRQXgoM0Fa-ZJvj9pygy3-Ja0ezQtvUHTY/edit#gid=118660989

@kevan1700 ask for support before game released and you responded.

@tomwearsglasses if your interested in joining.

14 hours ago, FaTaL MorTaL said:

Yes, we can change the models. Also, @Lyncaz a lot of people like JR and the calls he made in WWF era. I will be applying those.

Wouldn't team of JR, Lawler and Graves be the announcers dream team? :rolleyes: I mean, Cole is the one to who should  be replaced :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FaTaL MorTaL said:

Yes, we can change the models. Also, @Lyncaz a lot of people like JR and the calls he made in WWF era. I will be applying those.

We can? How? standard way of changing model ? where are the announcers models located?

10 hours ago, mr.mael said:

Anyone???

Did you read my post and Azn's addition above? I think we pretty much covered what's known about it so far.

The models are in the same folder as the other ch PAC files. In 2k17 and previous, the announcers ended in 06 (as opposed to the 02 for ring and 04 for entrance of most wrestler pacs).