Questions about "Chunk0.arc" and "emptying" it.

DLTyrus

Hi, 

I apologise if this is something that has been asked a lot but I am new the 2K series (haven't played a WWE game since WWE12) and I bought the game on PC because I can't live without custom music (plus y'know updated titantrons and all that jazz is nice too.)

So in looking up how to replace titantrons I have found out that you are either supposed to delete or "empty" the file named Chunk0.arc otherwise the game will not load with modded files. However I'm a bit unclear on a few things:

1. Am I supposed to just delete the file, or does "emptying" mean something else? I found one thread via search that said you're supposed to replace it with a blank notepad file that you rename to Chunk0.arc, but others say just to delete it. The official "Discoveries" topic only ever says to "empty" the file without ever clarifying what this means.
  2. Does it permanently make the game load slowly? I hear people mention quite casually that the game takes somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes to load once you remove/replace this file, is that permanent? Is it possible if I backup the chunk0 file and also any files I replace, that I can roll it back if I decide I can't tolerate the long load times?
  3. Is deleting/emptying this file required for all kinds of modding? I am not sure if this is only something you need to do when modifying/adding titantrons, wrestler models, and so on. I am mainly only interested in replacing some of the generic music in the game with some themes I want to use for CAWs, and I have seen someone is already working on a Sound Editor mod. I'd rather wait for a tool (because I'd rather not overwrite titantrons anyway ideally) especially if it means I don't have to make my game take 10 minutes to load. If the load times are just a reality to play with any modded content at all then obviously I'll just have to live with it, but I want to be sure before I go messing with my game files.

Many thanks to anyone who can help!

Delete it or making a blank one via notepad will both work.

Yes it's permanent, everytime you'll load the game, you'll have to wait, yep if you backup every thing you can replace your modified files back and should works. (As long as you don't try to load added files, like a wrestler added to a free slot ).

You need to delete or clear the chunk0.arc file for any mod, so basicaly if you want to mod anything, you'll have to wait 5-10 min for loading there is no other solution.

Edited by tich
  • Too Sweet 2

16 hours ago, tich said:

Delete it or making a blank one via notepad will both work.

Yes it's permanent, everytime you'll load the game, you'll have to wait, yep if you backup every thing you can replace your modified files back and should works. (As long as you don't try to load added files, like a wrestler added to a free slot ).

You need to delete or clear the chunk0.arc file for any mod, so basicaly if you want to mod anything, you'll have to wait 5-10 min for loading there is no other solution.

Hummm, nice to know that, maybe that's why I'm struggling with my minitron injects...

- If you want to mod you need to empty the arc file (open it, delete the contents, save).

- If you want to add mods that add NEW (not updated) files to the game then you also need to update the Chunk0.def file (see my post in modding discoveries: http://smacktalks.org/forums/topic/68024-general-information-discoveries/?do=findComment&comment=911213)

- The game will take forever to load after emptying the arc, however only for the first load after you boot. So if you close the game and reopen it without rebooting your system it should still load quickly.

2 minutes ago, LordJustice17 said:

- The game will take forever to load after emptying the arc, however only for the first load after you boot. So if you close the game and reopen it without rebooting your system it should still load quickly.

hmm for me it still took 5 min to load everytime, I close and reopen the game

38 minutes ago, El Buvor said:

Hummm, nice to know that, maybe that's why I'm struggling with my minitron injects...

yeah think only bk2 file can be modded without clearing the arc file

I have a Seth Rollins Mod only installed. (one mod) and it works, i see the new tshirt game starts fast and i dont have deleted any file. So there is a possibility that it would also work for every other mod to? Why does the Rollins Mod work but when i try Rollins vs Jinder (from Julian) it freezes when i select Jinder. Why does Rollins work and others dont?

There's some funny stuff going on with editing trons in my experience so far. I downloaded Corbin's updated titantron with the theme attached and it only works if I assign it to Baron. If I give anyone else the tron, the music stutters randomly and won't play smoothly. I have no clue why but it means I probably have to wait for a sound editor to put themes on for CAWs because the tron method doesn't seem to work unless you only want to replace music for superstars.

Either that or there's some other weird thing causing the problem but I haven't been able to narrow it down yet.

you use julian seth rollins right ? tried it, and yep it works with the default chunk0.arc.

probably because it's smaller than the original file, on 360/ps3 that's how arc files worked, as long as the file were smaller than the one replaced everything works fine, but if it was larger we had to update the size in arc file.

will still make some test, but IMO that's because of that

Edited by tich

20 hours ago, tich said:

you use julian seth rollins right ? tried it, and yep it works with the default chunk0.arc.

probably because it's smaller than the original file, on 360/ps3 that's how arc files worked, as long as the file were smaller than the one replaced everything works fine, but if it was larger we had to update the size in arc file.

will still make some test, but IMO that's because of that

Very good to hear that, maybe there is a chance to always put the same filesize of the mod like the original file. Than we dont need to delete this file and the game would stars fast. Thanks tich

1 hour ago, Andy said:

maybe there is a chance to always put the same filesize of the mod like the original file.

I doubt, from what I saw no ch file are larger than 23 or 24 mb, for example even compressed, 2k15 punk is over 30mb. So it should work if you only edit 2k18 wrestler texture and reinject them as zlib, but for import from previous game or new wrestler it's probably impossible to make them that small i guess.