Cave Waverider

Data Editor for WWE 2k18

Recommended Posts

Cave Waverider
4 hours ago, damdood23 said:

hey so i cant open the data editor at all it gives me the splash screen then nothing ive checked java i have the 64bit version and ive tried disabling windows defender and UAC nothing i really doubt its a hardware or other software as data editor 2k17 works just fine

1. Do you have the latest version of Data Editor installed (2018.0.5.0.4 Beta or later)? If not, do so and see if that fixes your problem. The latest version comes with a working Java built in and defaults to that, so it should work in any case.
2. If the above doesn't work Have you tried the workarounds on the Data Editor Tutorials Wiki page? If not, please do so and see if it helps.
3. If you have overlay software (MSI Afterburner/Riva Tuner Statistics Server, EVGA Precision, Fraps, Overwolf, Steam Overlay, Origin, etc..) running, disable that and see if it helps. If it does, update that software to the latest version to make it compatible with the latest version of DirectX/Direct3D.
4. Update all your drivers, especially video card ones, from the manufacturer's website (and don't use the ones from Windows Update).
5. Please share your exact system specifications, including CPU, RAM, video card inluding video memory, Operating system (press Win+R then type winver to see the exact version and OS build), the resolution your desktop is set to, the exact directories you have Data Editor and the game installed in, the type of your Windows user account (Administrater, User and whether it's a local of Microsoft account), whether User Access Control (UAC) is disabled or enabled, etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
damdood23
7 minutes ago, Cave Waverider said:

1. Do you have the latest version of Data Editor installed (2018.0.5.0.4 Beta or later)? If not, do so and see if that fixes your problem. The latest version comes with a working Java built in and defaults to that, so it should work in any case.
2. Have you tried the workarounds on the Data Editor Tutorials Wiki page? If not, do so!
3. If you have overlay software (MSI Afterburner/Riva Tuner Statistics Server, EVGA Precision, Fraps, Overwolf, Steam Overlay, Origin, etc..) running, disable that and see if it helps. If it does, update that software to the latest version to make it compatible with the latest version of DirectX/Direct3D.
4. Update all your drivers, especially video card ones, from the manufacturer's website (and don't use the ones from Windows Update).
5. Please share your exact system specifications, including CPU, RAM, video card, Operating system (press Win+R then type winver to see the exact version and OS build), the directories you have Data Editor and the game installed in etc..

1.Yes i do i recently just downloaded it a couple hours ago

2.yes ive just now finished doing them none of them work i had 3 versions of java uninstalled both and ran the data editor with the pre-built java and nothing

3.only overlay i had was shadowplay and i disabled that and still nothing

4.All my drivers are currently up to date as ive just checked

5.Specs are: CPU:i7 7700k, 16 gigs of ram, GTX1080,Windows 10 version 1703 OS Build 15063.786. My data editor is located on my desktop while my game is in my D: drive in my steamapps folder however i have tried both putting the editor in the same folder as my game and in the same drive but nothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cave Waverider
13 minutes ago, damdood23 said:

1.Yes i do i recently just downloaded it a couple hours ago

2.yes ive just now finished doing them none of them work i had 3 versions of java uninstalled both and ran the data editor with the pre-built java and nothing

3.only overlay i had was shadowplay and i disabled that and still nothing

4.All my drivers are currently up to date as ive just checked

5.Specs are: CPU:i7 7700k, 16 gigs of ram, GTX1080,Windows 10 version 1703 OS Build 15063.786. My data editor is located on my desktop while my game is in my D: drive in my steamapps folder however i have tried both putting the editor in the same folder as my game and in the same drive but nothing

That's very odd. Did you try disabling game mode/full screen optimizations?
Aside from the Windows version being older (I'm on 1709 and can't test with the older one), I don't see what could be the issue, especially since the 2k17 version works.
You could try adding an exception for Data Editor.exe to your Antivirus/Security software and see if that helps.

Did Data Editor create a \mods\Universal Alternate Attire Unlock\pac\root\ folder with a misc01_start.pac in your WWE 2k18 game directory at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
damdood23
1 minute ago, Cave Waverider said:

That's very odd. Did you try disabling game mode/full screen optimizations?
Aside from the Windows version being older (I'm on 1709 and can't test with the older one), I don't see what could be the issue, especially since the 2k17 version works.
Did Data Editor create a \mods\Universal Alternate Attire Unlock\ folder in your WWE 2k18 game directory at all?

yes that was one of the first things i did and nope no mods folder in sight

EDIT:well there is two mod folders i just found its in one in backups and the other in resources inside the Universal Alternate Attire Unlock

Edited by damdood23
Fix mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cave Waverider
3 minutes ago, damdood23 said:

yes that was one of the first things i did and nope no mods folder in sight

In your Data Editor Directory, go to Resources\UniversalAlternateAttireUnlock\ and copy the \mods folder including all sub-folders and files to your main WWE 2k18 game directory. Then try to start Data Editor again and see if it works. If it does, open the Alternate Attire Unlocker and click the Reinstall Universal Alternate Attire Unlock go through the process and let me know if it throws any errors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
damdood23
1 minute ago, Cave Waverider said:

In your Data Editor Directory, go to Resources\UniversalAlternateAttireUnlock\ and copy the \mods folder including all sub-folders and files to your main WWE 2k18 game directory. Then try to start Data Editor again and see if it works.

nope nothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cave Waverider
8 minutes ago, damdood23 said:

nope nothing

I guess the problem isn't with the silent installer of the Universal Alternate Attire Unlock then, even though that's the only difference in the startup process from the 2k17 version. It must hang before that. Very strange. I'll have a look at the code and see what's happening.
Try to go in your Data Editor\Data\Settings folder, open GameDirectory.data with a text editor and see what's in there (is it empty or does it contain anything?). You could try Manually typing your game directory in it (for example D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\WWE 2K18 ), save it and try to restart Data Editor.
Oh, and before restarting Data Editor, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and if you see any Java binary running there, click on it and click End task just in case.

By the way, does the Data Editor for WWE 2k18 Splash screen disappear at all (if not, let it sit for a long time (5+ minutes) and see if it does)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
damdood23
3 minutes ago, Cave Waverider said:

I guess the problem isn't with the silent installer of the Universal Alternate Attire Unlock then, even though that's the only difference in the startup process from the 2k17 version. It must hang before that. Very strange. I'll have a look at the code and see what's happening.
Try to go in your Data Editor\Data\Settings folder, open GameDirectory.data with a text editor and see what's in there. You could try Manually typing your game directory in it (for example D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\WWE 2K18 ), save it and try to restart Data Editor.
Oh, and before restarting Data Editor, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and if you see any Java binary running there, click on it and click End task just in case.

By the way, does the Data Editor for WWE 2k18 Splash screen disappear at all (if not, let it sit for a long time (5+ minutes) and see if it does)?

nope sadly still nothing the data file was empty idk if its supposed to be like that i put my directory in it anyway, and the splash screen pops up for a couple seconds then disappears i hear my fans rev up a bit then settle down so its running just seems like something is making it quit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cave Waverider
Just now, damdood23 said:

nope sadly still nothing the data file was empty idk if its supposed to be like that i put my directory in it anyway, and the splash screen pops up for a couple seconds then disappears i hear my fans rev up a bit then settle down so its running just seems like something is making it quit

That's very strange. And yes, it's supposed to be empty since it will popup a prompt to set the directory then. But it seems it hangs/crashes for you even before that, which means there isn't much in my code that could be a problem. Maybe there is a bug with the .exe wrapper. I'll try some things and get back to you via PM (please ensure you have enough room in your inbox here on the site to receive messages).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
damdood23
Just now, Cave Waverider said:

That's very strange. And yes, it's supposed to be empty since it will popup a prompt to set the directory then. But it seems it hangs/crashes for you even before that, which means there isn't much in my code that could be a problem. Maybe there is a bug with the .exe wrapper. I'll try some things and get back to you via PM (please ensure you have enough room in your inbox here on the site to receive messages).

Alright coolio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
simple2

It's still not working after updating to latest version 1709 and Java jre1.8.0_151 and disabling all overlay. It just crashes or disappears after showing the splash screen. (Data editor for WWE 2K17 didn't have any issues)

Edited by simple2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cave Waverider
48 minutes ago, simple2 said:

It's still not working after updating to latest version 1709 and Java jre1.8.0_151 and disabling all overlay. It just crashes or disappears after showing the splash screen. (Data editor for WWE 2K17 didn't have any issues)

Not sure what's going on there, especially when you're on the latest version of Data Editor. The 2k17 and 2k18 version's startup code is the same, it should at least prompt you to select the game .exe. I myself have only experienced this when an old version of MSI Afterburner/RTSS was installed. I've also tested it on multiple computers in the household and had friends install it and couldn't reproduce the issue, it works fine everywhere.
Does Java still run in the device manager after the splash screen that happens?

What you could try is to temporarily disable your security/antivirus, disable UAC (User Acces Control), or even log in the full Administrator account (search the web on how to enable the hidden account called "Administrator" in Windows 10) to see if it works with that.

Maybe you could put the heads together with the other users that have the same problem, compare your systems and settings and see if there is any common denominator between them because I just can't see what's wrong, especially if the 2k17 version of Data Editor gets to the point where you select the game .exe and the 2k18 version doesn't, since the code to that point is the same for both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
simple2
3 hours ago, Cave Waverider said:

Not sure what's going on there, especially when you're on the latest version of Data Editor. The 2k17 and 2k18 version's startup code is the same, it should at least prompt you to select the game .exe. I myself have only experienced this when an old version of MSI Afterburner/RTSS was installed. I've also tested it on multiple computers in the household and had friends install it and couldn't reproduce the issue, it works fine everywhere.
Does Java still run in the device manager after the splash screen that happens?

What you could try is to temporarily disable your security/antivirus, disable UAC (User Acces Control), or even log in the full Administrator account (search the web on how to enable the hidden account called "Administrator" in Windows 10) to see if it works with that.

Maybe you could put the heads together with the other users that have the same problem, compare your systems and settings and see if there is any common denominator between them because I just can't see what's wrong, especially if the 2k17 version of Data Editor gets to the point where you select the game .exe and the 2k18 version doesn't, since the code to that point is the same for both.

Are you trying to troll the community with unusable application?? because the majority of people in this thread is experiencing the same problem. So it's definitely a problem with the app after trying all the workaround method :|

Edited by simple2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kim666
36 minutes ago, simple2 said:

Are you trying to troll the community with unusable application?? because the majority of people in this thread is experiencing the same problem. So it's definitely a problem with the app after trying all the workaround method :|

The error is clearly on your side, Data Editor works flawless for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
simple2
3 minutes ago, kim666 said:

The error is clearly on your side, Data Editor works flawless for me. 

It doesn't make any sense if Data Editor for WWE 2K17 works flawlessly for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cave Waverider
3 hours ago, simple2 said:

It doesn't make any sense if Data Editor for WWE 2K17 works flawlessly for me.

No, as I said, it doesn't make sense to me that it doesn't work for you especially since the 2k17 version does. The code up until after the .exe selection is the exact same for both versions (with the only difference being the strings 2k17 being swapped for 2k18 and such). Thus it's only natural that those that have the same problem would compare their system configurations to see if there is a common denominator that could be the culprit.

3 hours ago, simple2 said:

Are you trying to troll the community with unusable application?? because the majority of people in this thread is experiencing the same problem. So it's definitely a problem with the app after trying all the workaround method :|

:rolleyes: No need to call people names nor try to spin facts. Did you at least try what I suggested to you above? You certainly didn't answer any of my questions. Makes me wonder who the actual troll is and if I can even take your feedback seriously at all.

That said, Data Editor for WWE 2k18 seems to be working fine for the majority of people I received feedback from, even the majority those that posted in this very thread, so I don't know where you got that it isn't working for the majority, unless you assume the world only revolves around you, nobody else matters or even exists and thus you are by default "the majority". Spoiler alert: That isn't the case. ;)

There are a couple of people where there was a similar problem, yes, although those seemed to be mostly Java issues which people managed to solve by installing the latest Data Editor version which comes with it's own version of Java bundled and/or some also had success following the tutorials linked in the top post. There is you and at least one other user that have said it still isn't working for. But it's hard to find out why if I can't reproduce it on the eight computers I have access to and I don't receive enough feedback to see what a common culprit for those affected may be.

Besides, it could very well be an issue caused by an OS configuration or out of date third party software or drivers. Windows 10 isn't the most stable OS as it is, especially if it has been upgraded to a new version over and over again which from my experience often brings issues from older versions along or causes new ones due to compatibility problems. Sometimes an odd incompatible software can also cause all kinds of issues with other software on the system.

That said, keep in mind that this is an beta version (of a free tool no less!) still so bugs and issues are to be expected. Although this doesn't really seem to be a problem with Data Editor's code to me at this moment, but we certainly can't rule out the possibility that it may be. Maybe there will be some progress once I get a larger sample size of affected people that provides quality feedback so I can see what they have in common and/or I can reproduce it myself so I can actually see what's going on and see if it's an issue with Data Editor that I can fix or if it's out of my hands. With the few people currently affected, it seems that it may be the latter, but who can really tell.

PS.: One question for those of you for whom Data Editor still doesn't start. How did you extract Data Editor 2k18.zip and did you get any errors when extracting? Perhaps the archive you got was corrupted and/or you didn't manage to extract all files for some reason (although you should have received an error on Data Editor startup in case of missing files, but who knows). Try extracting it by opening the .zip archive in Windows Explorer and copying it's contents to the folder of choice. You could also try to extract it with 7zip and see if that changes anything (those two methods work for me). Or try moving it to a different folder.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
simple2
1 hour ago, Cave Waverider said:

No, as I said, it doesn't make sense to me that it doesn't work for you especially since the 2k17 version does. The code up until after the .exe selection is the exact same for both versions (with the only difference being the strings 2k17 being swapped for 2k18 and such). Thus it's only natural that those that have the same problem would compare their system configurations to see if there is a common denominator that could be the culprit.

:rolleyes: No need to call people names nor try to spin facts. Did you at least try what I suggested to you above? You certainly didn't answer any of my questions. Makes me wonder who the actual troll is and if I can even take your feedback seriously at all.

That said, Data Editor for WWE 2k18 seems to be working fine for the majority of people I received feedback from, even the majority those that posted in this very thread, so I don't know where you got that it isn't working for the majority, unless you assume the world only revolves around you, nobody else matters or even exists and thus you are by default "the majority". Spoiler alert: That isn't the case. ;)

There are a couple of people where there was a similar problem, yes, although those seemed to be mostly Java issues which people managed to solve by installing the latest Data Editor version which comes with it's own version of Java bundled and/or some also had success following the tutorials linked in the top post. There is you and at least one other user that have said it still isn't working for. But it's hard to find out why if I can't reproduce it on the eight computers I have access to and I don't receive enough feedback to see what a common culprit for those affected may be.

Besides, it could very well be an issue caused by an OS configuration or out of date third party software or drivers. Windows 10 isn't the most stable OS as it is, especially if it has been upgraded to a new version over and over again which from my experience often brings issues from older versions along or causes new ones due to compatibility problems. Sometimes an odd incompatible software can also cause all kinds of issues with other software on the system.

That said, keep in mind that this is an beta version (of a free tool no less!) still so bugs and issues are to be expected. Although this doesn't really seem to be a problem with Data Editor's code to me at this moment, but we certainly can't rule out the possibility that it may be. Maybe there will be some progress once I get a larger sample size of affected people that provides quality feedback so I can see what they have in common and/or I can reproduce it myself so I can actually see what's going on and see if it's an issue with Data Editor that I can fix or if it's out of my hands. With the few people currently affected, it seems that it may be the latter, but who can really tell.

PS.: One question for those of you for whom Data Editor still doesn't start. How did you extract Data Editor 2k18.zip and did you get any errors when extracting? Perhaps the archive you got was corrupted and/or you didn't manage to extract all files for some reason (although you should have received an error on Data Editor startup in case of missing files, but who knows). Try extracting it by opening the .zip archive in Windows Explorer and copying it's contents to the folder of choice. You could also try to extract it with 7zip and see if that changes anything (those two methods work for me). Or try moving it to a different folder.

I did try using different uncompress application and several computers to test it out before giving feedback. At the end, it's still not working :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cave Waverider
9 hours ago, simple2 said:

I did try using different uncompress application and several computers to test it out before giving feedback. At the end, it's still not working :o

Aha. So it doesn't work on multiple computers you tried it with. I guess the first step would be to find out what all of these computers have in common that those that have it working don't.  Be it hardware, installed software, OS settings, etc.. Did you try a completely clean install of Windows on any of them, by any chance and only install Data Editor 2k18 and nothing else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alejandro martin
18 minutes ago, Cave Waverider said:

Aha. So it doesn't work on multiple computers you tried it with. I guess the first step would be to find out what all of these computers have in common that those that have it working don't.  Be it hardware, installed software, OS settings, etc.. Did you try a completely clean install of Windows on any of them, by any chance and only install Data Editor 2k18 and nothing else?

i have tried in 3 pc with all step  ,win7andwin10 ,i dont konw what common they are ,maybe Language ,not english ??? the same problem is cant star at all , cant choose game.exe ,but if i delete some file  in folder SETTINGS (2017 have 4 fils only )just can chose game.exe ,but than noting ,java runs few second only . maybe some setting makes bug in special pc (mine is win 10 1709 16299 home) if majority of people works fin  ,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cave Waverider
1 hour ago, Alejandro martin said:

i have tried in 3 pc with all step  ,win7andwin10 ,i dont konw what common they are ,maybe Language ,not english ??? the same problem is cant star at all , cant choose game.exe ,but if i delete some file  in folder SETTINGS (2017 have 4 fils only )just can chose game.exe ,but than noting ,java runs few second only . maybe some setting makes bug in special pc (mine is win 10 1709 16299 home) if majority of people works fin  ,

Hm. That's good feedback, thanks. I think I have identified the issue and will deploy a new build that will hopefully fix it shortly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cave Waverider

new version of the Data Editor for WWE 2k18 is now available for download in the top post as well as via the "Check for Data Editor Updates" button in the Data Editor for WWE 2k18 Settings section or the included Update.exe file.

Update Notes:

Quote

2018.01.06: Version 2018.0.5.0.5 Beta
+ Settings: Fixed a critical bug with certain Windows language/keyboard settings which caused settingsSettingsFilePaths.data, SettingsFilePathsLoad.data and SettingsFilePathsSave.data not being loaded and saved properly and thus caused Data Editor to hang on startup if Windows was set to use said language/keyboard settings.

It's recommended to do a clean install of this build of Data Editor for WWE 2k18 to ensure that there aren't any conflicts stemming from older files, especially if you had issues with earlier builds.
Hopefully this update will fix the startup problems for @Alejandro martin, @simple2, @damdood23 and everyone else affected for good (fingers crossed). Please let me know whether it does or doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BillyTheKid
On 12/28/2017 at 8:23 PM, Cave Waverider said:

Are you getting any errors? You'll have to provide more details so I can try to reproduce it. What exactly have you tried to do, step-by-step?

You have to have Java JRE 8.x installed (9.x won't work as it's incompatible with legacy Java applications), it should prompt you for it. If it doesn't start at all, you might have some software (or hardware, but that's less likely) that's incompatible with the Windows 10 Creator's Update installed and have to update that. Most likely culprit is Overlay software like MSI Afterburner/Riva Tuner Statistics Server, EVGA Precision, Overwolf, etc.. If you have such software, update it to the latest, Creator's Update compatible version or disable/uninstall it and Data Editor as well as a bunch of other applications may just work. Also ensure to update all your drivers to the latest version from the manufacturer's website (especially video card drivers - the ones from Windows Update usually cause nothing but trouble).

 

http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/vga/MSIAfterburnerSetup.zip  updated my msi and riva tuner yes.  But it still doesn't open the Data Editor.exe  I don't have EVGA or Overwolf  I manually downloaded java JRE 8.x.  Still doesn't open.  It doesn't do anything. I tried run as admin and windows 8 compatibility :(  And my game is bought from steam not pirate.

Edited by BillyTheKid
fixed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cave Waverider
1 hour ago, BillyTheKid said:

 

http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/vga/MSIAfterburnerSetup.zip  updated my msi and riva tuner yes.  But it still doesn't open the Data Editor.exe  I don't have EVGA or Overwolf  I manually downloaded java JRE 8.x.  Still doesn't open.  It doesn't do anything. I tried run as admin and windows 8 compatibility :(  And my game is bought from steam not pirate.

Is that on Data Editor version 2018.0.5.0.5 or earlier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
damdood23
7 minutes ago, Cave Waverider said:

Is that on Data Editor version 2018.0.5.0.5 or earlier?

can confirm it sadly does not work also big thanks for actively trying to help with our issues :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BillyTheKid
13 minutes ago, Cave Waverider said:

Is that on Data Editor version 2018.0.5.0.5 or earlier?

well it says here 2018.0.5.0 beta when i right click the exe   I didn't see other versions ? it said "latest version" and i downloaded it this morning.

Well i don't expect you do be able to do anything.  I am very grateful for the CCT program.  It would be great to have this tool as well I know if i have right version , right java, everything updated there's not much you can say I guess.  Just letting you know for future builds i suppose.

Edited by BillyTheKid
errors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.