How to convert EVPs from 2K14 to 2K17 (PC/PS3) (haven't tested 2K15 or 2K16)

jakeypearce

Well, as per a certain user's request, here is my guide on how to port rope physics from 2K14 and earlier to 2K17. This guide assumes you already know how to view the contents of a pac file with EPK8, EPAC, etc, and you already know how to decompress a BPE.

First thing you have to do is find your entrance pac. This is located in pac\evt. The files that are Entrance00, Entrance01, Entrance02, etc are the files that contain the EVP (the first ID entry listing, such as 343, 344) and the EVZ (the second ID entry listing). You must decompress the first entry to have access to the EVP, as by default, it is a BPE. Make sure you save it somewhere to have easy access!.In this example, I will be using The Rock (Retro)'s EVP from 2K14. I could use The Rock '98 - '99's EVP if I didn't have WWE 2K14 as the entrances are the same. In any event, his ID is listed in Entrance02, so I will go there.

Now, you have to look for the 2K17 pac file. Same folder, however each of the pacs are now separate (eg. 00100, 00101, 00102, 00344, etc). These examples are listed as The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Triple H and The Rock '01. The files that begin with "00" are the entrance files. Because I want to edit the ropes for The Rock '01's entrance, I will be using 00344. You must decompress the first file. Again, ensure you save it somewhere to have easy access!

With both files decompressed, open up the 344 from 2K14, then open up the second EVP of 344 from 2K17. You can tell if you have extracted the right ID listing, as (1) you're reading carefully, and (2) the header is "POF0" spelt backwards ("0FOP"). Now, this is key. If you mess up, the EVP won't load and will crash the game/infinitely load. With that warning out of the way, let's get it on!

Scroll down until you a different pair of bytes that AREN'T "61 A8" (a¨ on the right hand side), "61 A9" (a© on the right hand side), "27 0F" ('. on the right hand side), or bytes that aren't repeating. In my case, this is at offset 37950 for 2K17 and 13C0 for 2K14. If you're modding a 2K17 EVP on the PC, replace each bytes with the equivalent on 2K14. If you're using the PS3 side of things, it's somewhat more complicated. You will have to "predict" each of the bytes you''re going to replace. By that, I mean that the EVP format has completely changed for 2K16 and 2K17 (which is why 2K14 and earlier EVPs don't load). Many of the bytes that have multiple "rows" are for the ring canvas. If you 00 those files out, the top canvas does not show.

Once you're finished replacing each one of those bytes, you must compress the edited EVP using a program called BPE Compressor/Decompressor. You may find it here. Should be self-explanatory. Once you have compressed your EVP, open it in a hex editor, and go to the end of the file. You must add 00's until it reaches the next valid offset. For example, if your file ends at 1C92, you must add 00's until it says 1CFF (or 1D00). As a P.O.C. (proof of concept), I will leave you with a video of my converted 2K14 EVP for 2K17 (PC) that has a download link, AND my somewhat converted EVP from 2K14 to go with 2K17*.

The Rock (Retro) 2K14 EVP for 2K17 (PS3)

*I say somewhat, as the ropes are correctly animating, however it's in the wrong positions. See what I mean here.

vnf43m.png

That's it! :)

@rj10018576 @Red Rooster @Mathayus @tekken57

Edited by jakeypearce

10 hours ago, rj10018576 said:

What do you mean by "predict" each of the bytes?

The format has basically changed altogether for 2K16 and 2K17 on the PS3. Now, there are bytes for the ring canvas, which is why the 2K14/'13/'12 EVPs don't load. While the format has changed, it is still possible to load them; you just have to guess/assume and keep on trying. Some bytes can be easily replaceable for a 2K17 EVP, as some are one row, while others are multiple rows. If you can't find an equivalent on the 2K14 EVP, it's best to leave it alone and keep replacing, OR replace it, then 00 the rest of it out. That's what I meant by "predict". Also, some of the 2K16 EVPs load as well (HHH, Edge, etc). Some do not, and a good example is Rock's.