Chris Benoit - Murderer or Murdered?

GameElite™

It shows how good the man was as a wrestler when you see people either forgive his crimes or worst yet blame other people due to gimmicks 

13 hours ago, Mizalike said:

I'm not aroused by it at all, I heard rumours about it so I read up on it I didn't mean to disturb you at all. Just wanted to post my view on it I just thought deleting all of his history in wwe was outta order seeing as though he was a good wrestler in my opinion.all of his accomplishments deleted for no reason I know what he did wasn't justified but that is out of order.

Relax man, I was just joking. See hard is slang for having an erect penis. So basically I chose to read your post like this

"I know wiki can be fake so I read this with an erection."

so I could then joke about it.

Agree and disagree regarding Benoit being wiped from history. I do think they went a bit overboard with it. They were right to stop mentioning him, remove footage from DVD/game releases and their website etc.. Although I don't think it was necessary to erase things like his title history, and make out as if his accomplishments never happened. That being said I don't blame them for it at all, ultimately they made the right call.

@Steenalizer I don't think it's fair to forget Benoit completely. Forget him as a performer if you wish, but I see how you could just forget the impact he made on the industry. I'm not trying to paint him as a victim here, or try to justify or explain his actions. Maybe it was because of brain damage and/or roid rage, or maybe he was just an evil man that would've done it anyway. Either way you can't dispute the fact that he had sustained severe brain damage throughout his career, and if it wasn't for that then the industry likely wouldn't have made such huge steps forward to protect the health and safety of its performers. For all the damage he caused, he was a wake up call the industry desperately needed, and a cautionary tale for those who don't properly protect themselves in the ring. As much as we may want to forget what he did, its influence can't simply be forgotten, it would only be a disservice to his victims, others who sustained similar injuries and never got the help they needed, and others who may one day need it.

Edited by HiPcavallo

@HiPcavallo I'm not disputing the fact that he clearly had severe brain damage, nor the impact he had on the wrestling industry. The man himself should be forgotten, but people shouldn't forget the victims and what he did in his last moments. WWE has every right to remove him from their history. He's not completely removed though since you can still watch his matches on the network.

But forgetting the man himself undermines any positive consequences to have come out of his death. At least up until the point he became a murderer Chris was a victim, and there were plenty of obvious warning signs that something like this could happen in the years leading up to his death, and let's face it, based on everything we know now the whole ordeal could've been avoidable had anyone intervened to get him the help he desperately needed, or got his family the hell away from him. Chris is symbolic of the tragic failings of the industry he dedicated his life to, and a constant reminder as to why change was necessary and how far we've come since. You take Chris Benoit the man out of the equation and his story becomes largely irrelevant, and his family's tragedy is largely reduced to being just another news story for people to forget about. This tragedy made an impact because we all held Chris Benoit in such high regard, and it largely remains relevant because of that. If you want to forget about him then that's fine, and perfectly understandable. But the man shouldn't just be forgotten about, or else you threaten to undermine the very reason people cared in the first place, and any lasting positive influence it may have.

Didn't I just say that I thought WWE made the right call by erasing him from their history?

Chris Benoit is an alleged murderer, yet Jimmy Snuka was a near convicted murderer and yet his name is still mentioned to this day. 

Sure, in theory someone could have intervened and it could have been avoidable, but you could say that about many other tragedies. The failings of the industry don't justify the actions that he took. The man was a monster.

Also fuck Jimmy Snuka as well.

3 hours ago, Steenalizer said:

Sure, in theory someone could have intervened and it could have been avoidable, but you could say that about many other tragedies. The failings of the industry don't justify the actions that he took. The man was a monster.

Also fuck Jimmy Snuka as well.

I never said that his actions were justified, nor was I trying to justify them.

Never said you were trying to justify it. I was agreeing with you for saying he was symbolic of the failings of the industry, but making the point that he's the only one to blame for his actions. What Chris Benoit did was completely horrific and unforgivable, it's unfair to place the blame on WWE or his friends who could have 'intervened'.

Ah, fair point. Wasn't trying to blame anyone else for his actions, just making a point that it never should've happened. Who knows, maybe if his brain hadn't taken so much damage it may not have happened. Even if only because he might've thought it through before acting.

I do feel WWE does was at fault to a certain extent. Not for the murders, but for the years of negligence that allowed Benoit to end up so beat up. Although this extends far beyond the Benoit tragedy.

On 6/18/2017 at 10:37 PM, HiPcavallo said:

Ah, fair point. Wasn't trying to blame anyone else for his actions, just making a point that it never should've happened. Who knows, maybe if his brain hadn't taken so much damage it may not have happened. Even if only because he might've thought it through before acting.

I do feel WWE does was at fault to a certain extent. Not for the murders, but for the years of negligence that allowed Benoit to end up so beat up. Although this extends far beyond the Benoit tragedy.

He''s not dead... he's living with Michael Jackson, Elvis Presely and Adolf Hitler up in the Hollywood hills somewhere. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2017 at 5:37 PM, HiPcavallo said:

I do feel WWE does was at fault to a certain extent. Not for the murders, but for the years of negligence that allowed Benoit to end up so beat up...

"Years of negligence." You mean all 7 out of a 20+ year career? For comparative purposes, John Cena has been in the WWE for over twice as long as Benoit and from what I know about wrestling these days, still hasn't killed anything besides Zack Ryder's career. 

Maybe Chris Benoit is just a fucking murderer. Knowing how to do headlocks and fake kicks doesn't make you special.

Benoit wasn't the only guy in the industry working hurt, just the only one who went out and killed people. Before Benoit wrestling with concussions was fairly commonplace, and many weren't aware of the long term health risks. So yes, years of negligence.

You can be intentionally negligent. WWE refused to give Kurt Angle time off to rehab, which is negligent on their behalf, so Kurt did the right thing and went to TNA. Say what you want about the place, but he was able to work a much lighter schedule and he appeared to be much leaner there than he was while working for WWE. When Batista quit, albeit for different reasons, he toned down immediately as well, until it was time to film GoTG and return to WWE to promote it. 

Benoit sustained 15 years' worth of injuries in Stampede, ECW, WCW and New Japan before making his WWE debut. And it's all irrelevant because he was a murdering psychopath with apologists who are trying to preserve some legacy, which he has none.  

Or, I stand corrected, no deaths mattered before Benoit's (Owen's maybe, for different reasons), and no deaths have mattered since. He is a stain on the history of pro-wrestling and has successfully brought wrestling-related deaths into the mainstream. He's committed an act so heinous, we're still talking about it and will be until someone manages to top it, which is likely never going to happen. I imagine a disgruntled Zack Ryder trying by shooting up a school or something, only for no one to recognize him and it probably it not making the (local) news.

Edited by Nemo

It's not negligent if Kurt Angle didn't get time off for an injury. It would just be intentional on WWE's part since they would have knowlingly put him in harm's way if he needed time off for rehab and they chose not to allow it.

Edited by Steenalizer