X-Packer 2017 / X-Rey 2.7 released

tekken57

Just now, AlcLegacy said:

Is it possible to release the next versions of Xpacker and Xrey for free, so that we as a community can GROW and not be held back by paid tools? Would really be the best thing going forward.

10/10 best idea

On 9/30/2017 at 6:25 PM, AlcLegacy said:

Is it possible to release the next versions of Xpacker and Xrey for free, so that we as a community can GROW and not be held back by paid tools? Would really be the best thing going forward.

now i'm confused... if yall wanted to help the community why wouldn't you support the person making tools tho? i mean its not like you paying 60 buck or something.. think of it as a gameshark or game genie. would you ask galoob to give it to you for free so you can cheat?

• Like 1

I think the best way to go is for tekken to release a limited functionality free xrey/xpacker and a full version. 

Modding wwe games will not grow and continue to grow as it is now without these easy to use tools. It involves a lot of time and hardwork. We pay for DLCs and for me paying for these tools is worth it.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zhigge said:

now i'm confused... if yall wanted to help the community why wouldn't you support the person making tools tho? i mean its not like you paying 60 buck or something.. think of it as a gameshark or game genie. would you ask galoob to give it to you for free so you can cheat?

Because PAID tools are a cancer to a community like ours.  MANY people have not started modding and were steered away because of paid tools. 

10 minutes ago, GreenArcher said:

I think the best way to go is for tekken to release a limited functionality free xrey/xpacker and a full version. 

Modding wwe games will not grow and continue to grow as it is now without these easy to use tools. It involves a lot of time and hardwork. We pay for DLCs and for me paying for these tools is worth it.

Just my opinion.

We pay for DLC because the developer has made it and it's their content for their game. Don't compare the two. 
The best way to go would to stop charging, period. Even a limited functionality release would still be bullshit.
This has been going on for too long.

Edited by AlcLegacy
  • Like 2

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate you being direct and respect all your opinions.
To address your concerns:

@AlcLegacy , What you may not know is that I developed and released 8 free versions of X-Packer over a period of 7 years. Even with the free tools, the many communities I was involved in always ends up the same i.e a few people producing mods and many leeching. In my experience, free tools do not grow a community.

In my opinion, the only way to solve this to have some kind of system where people can only download something if they contribute something else.

@Bannockburn , Two things

1. Yes I did learn quite a bit from Xentax as I had zero knowledge about 3d modelling, I've stated this many times over. However I had to take the initiative to learn max scripting to actually comprehend the information which was posted. That being said there was no information on the pac format, SHDC, epac, epk8, bones, facial animations, renders, arc files, shaders, shader parameters or the save file. All of which I had to reverse engineer and research on my own. 

2. If I truly was a "lousy capitalist" who is calling the forums "bluff", I would not have provided detailed information and specifications on all the knowledge I've gained. I've shared all the knowledge I've gained over the years with the forums, had I truly wanted to monopolize the development of tools, I would not have done this.

You also fail to mention, that not only were you a loyalist, but you also asked me to host my tools exclusively on your own forum as means to draw traffic. I opted not to do this as I did not want to move away from the Smacktalks community.

To everyone else:

As I've stated multiple times over the years, the reason why I opted to charge for my time is because after 7 years of free tools, a significant amount of my time goes into not only the research and development of these tools, but also user support. At present I do on average of about 2-3 hours of user support 7 days a week.

Frankly speaking, my time and effort means something and no one has the right to tell me otherwise. It's not something I feel I have to justify or feel guilty about because people are getting value out of my tools. I've put a significant of work into my tools over a 13 year period. No one is entitled to my time and effort.

There are other developers of tools who are willing to provide the tools and user support for free and that's their choice, however I've been down this road for many years and it's not something I will consider again.

That being said, no hard feelings guys, whilst I may not agree,  I do understand your point of view. Modding games is something which is meant to be fun and not something which causes discord.

At this stage I feel that there are significant alternatives to my tools and that it's time for me to step down. I think the forum is now in the capable hands of expert modders and application developers.

Before I leave, I just want to thank a few people as modding the WWE series of games has really brought a lot of joy to my life:

@Red Rooster , @bugsyboy , @zhigge , @UndertakerWLF , @kim666 , @bravebird31 , etc who were involved in the WWE 2k14 community DLC project. For me that was truly the best year of modding. The community really came together and produced something which was amazing.

@Smacktalks , for allowing me to host my tools on this forum and also providing a platform for discussions to take place.

Thank you to everyone else who supported my tools over the years.

I truly hope that you guys have enjoyed my work over the years. I really put a lot of effort into creating quality tools, detailed tutorials and good mods. I also really enjoyed working with modders such as @Dennis-Bieser , @eri619 , etc who were new over the years with a view to transfer knowledge I had gained in the realm of sculpting, textures, etc.

I'll still be around on the forums producing the odd wrestler mod here and there. Please do not port any of my existing mods to 2k18, I intend to create full animations for these when 2k18 releases.

Best wishes to everyone.

Take care.

Edited by tekken57
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• Cave Waverider unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, Bannockburn said:

The statement 'free tools do not grow a community.' alone is a worrying opinion to have. What other communities have you experienced this in? I've been around longer than you and I have yet to see a community where paid tools are a thing and it created this oasis of modding karma - OpenIV is a fantastic modern example of how Free creates the perfect environment for a modding community to grow. Stop pretending like you legitimately care about the community growth when for years you've mocked endlessly because you knew at the time nobody could compete with your tools.

1.) Yes there is, there is in fact plenty of information on Xentax regarding the new format, it's how I learned to break it down. If it wasn't for Xentax, you would have had no starting point. 

2.) Do you think that isn't public knowledge? You are not exclusive to information, even Paul knew - that was the time when I supported you, I held the same beliefs you did about tools and it was wrong. If you actually stepped out of this echo chamber and talked with people, you would realize how severely damaging that attitude is to a community. You of all people should have known never to call my bluff. You drip fed the community bits of information as to not eliminate your financial income, how do I know this? People you've done this to have spoken to me, people you think are close to you. 

Do you think time and effort hasn't gone into everybody elses' tools? The entire community have spent their time working hard to figuring things out and the result is Data Editor, 2K+, reShape, PacEditor, PacAdder, PACTool. 

It just so happens Tekken, the people that made those tools actually care about the community more than money. 

giphy.gif

Best of luck to you and your tools mate.

Take care.

• Like 2

Ok, this thread is devolving into a mess where there are more hidden posts than unhidden ones. I think all has been said that needs to be said. 

Thread is being locked until everyone cools down a bit. No more need to have this off-topic shit cluttering the thread.

• LordJustice17 locked this topic
  • tekken57 unlocked this topic

Thank you LordJustice17, I have unlocked the thread as I information about X-Rey to post.

X-Rey version 2.5 has been released and emailed to all this morning.

New features in 2.5:

- Added the ability to swap positions of objects. This allows you to move objects within the yobj file quickly.

This is the final update to X-Rey and X-Packer. I will not be doing further development for X-Packer and X-Rey for 2k18. I will be ending user support for both these applications on 11 October 2017. If you have any issues with either application, you are still welcome to email me.

Thank you for all your support over the years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, AznBlusuazn said:

Thanks @tekken57 for your contributions and all the help you provided this year (my first year in modding).  I really appreciate it!

You're welcome, glad to help. Really happy to see the high standard of mods you produce. 

• Thanks 2

Your hard work will be missed, much appreciation for all that you've done over the years. 

None of what @bugsyboy and I have done wouldve been possible without you. Ive happily paid for many versions of Xpacker and Xrey and would do again.

The paid tools debate is a double edged sword but you have always been respectful and helpful. Its a shame others cant see it for what it is. In my opinion you earned every dollar youve made from these tools.

All the best bro

Edited by Red Rooster
  • Like 2
  • Too Sweet 1

33 minutes ago, Red Rooster said:

Your hard work will be missed, much appreciation for all that you've done over the years. 

None of what @bugsyboy and I have done wouldve been possible without you. Ive happily paid for many versions of Xpacker and Xrey and would do again.

The paid tools debate is a double edged sword but you have always been respectful and helpful. Its a shame others cant see it for what it is. In my opinion you earned every dollar youve made from these tools.

All the best bro

Took the words out of my mouth.

• Like 1

Im just glad your done bro. Go on with your life , time is precious and you will not get much out of this community. There never will be another 14 anyway. Thanks for everthing , your tools ,your help but specially your vibe and your attitude. Good luck brother !!!!

• Like 3

the hell happen in here lol. i leave for 2 days and its nike the bike/breinj all over again. as a person who has been here longer than 99 percent of you guys i'm really getting tired of all the complainers.. if these guys are doing something you don't like then do it yourself. why is that such a hard thing to comprehend? the mother of invention is not liking the way something was done. These guys over the years have kept hope alive of creating a great wrestling game. and every year its always some smart ass thinking their ideas are the only way things are suppose to be that run these guys that take personal time to create tools away. I say peace to tekken and i hate we couldn't crack 2k17 on the ps360 but thats the same way we felt with smackdown vs raw 11 when things got changed up. anyway tekken and the other guys thanks for all your help the discoveries and life you all brought to these half ass games..

On 06/10/2017 at 1:51 AM, tekken57 said:

@AlcLegacy , What you may not know is that I developed and released 8 free versions of X-Packer over a period of 7 years. Even with the free tools, the many communities I was involved in always ends up the same i.e a few people producing mods and many leeching. In my experience, free tools do not grow a community.

To be fair, 2K has release 3 games so far for PC. I don't think its fair to compare to modding days of consoles to the current 2K Series-PC. Mods for PC isn't a niche like console modding was, cant really apply the same thinking to now when all you have to do is buy the game on steam.

This hinders the 2K PC community growth big time, IMO.

• Like 1

There's room for free and paid tools, Gimp and Photoshop coexist, Blender and 3ds coexist, Godot and Unity, etc.

I will always prefer the idea that free tools reaches out more but sometimes some people prefer the features of a paid tool.

Different horses for different courses, I wouldn't give up on making tools or charging for them Tekken, people just have a free alternative and if they don't like the free tools or want a feature on the paid tools then it is their prerogative to pay for your tools.

Whatever you decide your work was appreciated and for everybody I say we don't need negative vibes, lifes too short and one day all this will be replaced by new games and new tools and all we will have is memories, lets make them positive ones where we all help each other as a community.

Lets all start planning out 2K18 mods, the more tools the merrier be it free or paid, use what suits you and we all benefit from expanding the games to their limits.

:D Peace and respect to all, lets just have FUN! :D

Edited by Perfectplex
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Ok quick update. Travelling with work at the moment, so I installed X-Packer and X-Rey on my work laptop to test the 2k18 pac files.

They load correctly. Use the 2k17 pac file option (Ctrl+4). 

Some of the yobj files don't seem to decompress correctly when using the decompress all option in X-Packer.

to solve this, extract the zlib file and then decompress the zlib using the "Decompress file with header using Zlib option" under utilities in X-Packer. I'll look into the bulk decompress option issue when I get back from traveling. 

The yobj files open fine in X-rey without issue when decompressed in this manner.

• Like 3
  • Too Sweet 1

11 hours ago, tekken57 said:

Ok quick update. Travelling with work at the moment, so I installed X-Packer and X-Rey on my work laptop to test the 2k18 pac files.

They load correctly. Use the 2k17 pac file option (Ctrl+4). 

Some of the yobj files don't seem to decompress correctly when using the decompress all option in X-Packer.

to solve this, extract the zlib file and then decompress the zlib using the "Decompress file with header using Zlib option" under utilities in X-Packer. I'll look into the bulk decompress option issue when I get back from traveling. 

The yobj files open fine in X-rey without issue when decompressed in this manner.

Hey  tekken so i open seths ch.pac file from 2k18 its normal to inject textures but when i open roman theirs no  000C.pac or 000A.pac in the file 2CE9173C3E35A100.shdc to extract ?

only 0014.pac and  0050.pac ? I Sss and taking the others place im confused ? whaty the hell is going on?

12 minutes ago, Twistedmisery666™ said:

Hey  tekken so i open seths ch.pac file from 2k18 its normal to inject textures but when i open roman theirs no  000C.pac or 000A.pac in the file 2CE9173C3E35A100.shdc to extract ?

only 0014.pac and  0050.pac ? I Sss and taking the others place im confused ? whaty the hell is going on?

The textures are in the tx files with the same ch id within the pac\ch folder  they are separate.

Just now, AznBlusuazn said:

The textures are in the tx files with the same ch id within the pac\ch folder  they are separate.

i just tried jericho and it worked like seths 000a 000c is there but roman its not

Just now, Twistedmisery666™ said:

i just tried jericho and it worked like seths 000a 000c is there but roman its not

Its not cut and dry like it has been.  Roman has a tx36802 where all his textures are.  They aren't in a 000a or 000c, but individual dds compressed into zlibs and into a sdhc.

1 minute ago, AznBlusuazn said:

Its not cut and dry like it has been.  Roman has a tx36802 where all his textures are.  They aren't in a 000a or 000c, but individual dds compressed into zlibs and into a sdhc.

damn ya now i see that in the chpac folder damn it idk how im gonna be able to get them out