Is your game Crashing at Startup? Here is a Fix

pozzum

Skeeno's method worked.

I just installed the patch on the Clean directory while renaming the modded one...and reverting back

But ultimately, the patch did nothing but waste our time.

I did something useful in 2K16! Woop :cool:

Ok, this is a good work around, but you loose the online function?

I still can access online

glad to hear, so there is no reason to update at all

Yep, still same loading time as before.

Managed to stop the update before it finished downloading, if you need any files to experiment with I'll, just forgot to backup strong before putting in the community one, which I only installed today 

is this thread just for modders or a general complaints/fix-around thread?

Because there is already one of the latter, maybe one like the former would be sueful to discuss if/how to get mods working back again.

@TheVisitorX, does replacing music with SI make the game crash too?

we should work towards being able to work with the updated game.

Another user says deleting new exe and chunk_cache file + verifying files worked tho so

Does this method work?.

Not for me, as I said. I think they used an old exe from backup...
Maybe there is a conflict between new exe and save files edited via cheat enginge, as when i inserted cm punk f.e., i had to save it via changing adam rose crowd reaction - isnt this fixed in a save file?

I am the mentioned user, and I did not use an old exe from backup.

I had RVD from 2k15 installed before patch, along with future string. After patch, i've deleted my RVD (ch256) and then I deleted wwe2k16.exe and chunk_cache and verified (files were re-downloaded) and the game launches. 

Something useful:
Since the game was installed, the only changed files were the files that were changed today, and any mods installed since day one. So if you sort by "date modified" and delete any file that wasn't installed on day 1, then verify, It should work. 

I just want to make sure of something. In the bottom right what is the number people have? I have 1.05 on my Modded version. Should it now be 1.06 if the patch was installed or...?

I just want to make sure of something. In the bottom right what is the number people have? I have 1.05 on my Modded version. Should it now be 1.06 if the patch was installed or...?

I have nothing modified and my version is 1.05

Because there is already one of the latter, maybe one like the former would be sueful to discuss if/how to get mods working back again.

Another user says deleting new exe and chunk_cache file + verifying files worked tho so

Does this method work?.

Maybe there is a conflict between new exe and save files edited via cheat enginge, as when i inserted cm punk f.e., i had to save it via changing adam rose crowd reaction - isnt this fixed in a save file?

I had RVD from 2k15 installed before patch, along with future string. After patch, i've deleted my RVD (ch256) and then I deleted wwe2k16.exe and chunk_cache and verified (files were re-downloaded) and the game launches. 

Something useful:
Since the game was installed, the only changed files were the files that were changed today, and any mods installed since day one. So if you sort by "date modified" and delete any file that wasn't installed on day 1, then verify, It should work. 

"After patch, i've deleted my RVD (ch256)" That did fix your issue, yes. Try to insert it again and game doesn't start. So mods aren't working any more. At least not modded superstars.

Edited by TheVisitorX

Okay so that number doesn't change. I thought maybe my patch didn't install and that was why it was working.

Does this method work?.

Something useful:

"After patch, i've deleted my RVD (ch256)" That did fix your issue, yes. Try to insert it again - Game won't start any more.. So mods aren't working any more. At least not modded superstars.

I feel like the future string needs updated or something. Will try to install mods. I'll let you guys know. 

EDIT:
That was quick, after pasting my RVD into the Pac folder, the game crashes at splash screen like normal. 

Edited by JDB

I haven't downloaded the patch yet but it sounds like the increased memory footprint changed the HEX strings.

• Fixed crash during custom entrances that contain simultaneous video effect and pyrotechnics

That's the only reason to download the patch but not if mods are broken.

• Like 1

Okay so that number doesn't change. I thought maybe my patch didn't install and that was why it was working.

I don't think it will change ever, 1.05 is officially the latest planned patch for the game. Even 2k in their forums call this update "PC 1.01"

• Like 1

The update has only 2? files:

WWE2K16.exe

chunk_cache.bin (this file is new and maybe a new kind of arc file?)

both files are in the main directory. Replacing the updated .exe with the original .exe should remove the update.

I haven't downloaded the patch yet but it sounds like the increased memory footprint changed the HEX strings.

• Fixed crash during custom entrances that contain simultaneous video effect and pyrotechnics

I never even had the game crash from simultaneous effects and pyro like their patch claims to fix, I only crashed from trying to ever load just a single pyro effect while actually creating an entrance. I thought it would have been obvious to them that they still needed to fix the audio, pyro, and stage light glitches for CAWs that enter second. 

I still experience detached floating lights during entrances from positioning stage pieces elsewhere from their default spots, music fade outs also fading out the ambient crowd noise (still from the 2nd loaded CAW entrances), transparent smoke effects (like with Stage Pyro 32, Edge's smoke), and theme songs playing over themselves again when each part of an Advanced Entrance triggers. I'm assuming everyone is for all the correlation I've heard on it all.

I only had the Sound Injector and a couple of changes to Titantrons and nothing crashes here - if that helps at all =\

Feel sorry for everyone's who's game doesnt work =\

I really hope they didn't do this on purpose. 
Like, hopefully it's some sort of error.

Because since we already modded the release version, we know there's a version of the game that can be modded and will go back to that version if needed.
It's almost like they want us to suffer. 
But that's me "jumping the gun" lol I hope I'm wrong. 

WWE2K16.exe

both files are in the main directory. Replacing the updated .exe with the original .exe should remove the update.

chunk_cache.bin seemed new to me, it must be a new arc file like you're saying.
Anyone able to open it? 7zip won't open it for me. 

EDIT:
Delete the chunk_cache.bin file, and your game will crash FASTER than normal. I'm talking about right as the splash screen shows up.
It's GOTTA BE an arc file/checksum type file. 

Edited by JDB

sorry guys I cant play the game until tomorrow, because I am not at home.
must i install the update if i want to play ??

i dont want to install the update, because i dont want zu lost my modded wrestlers, caws and save.

what should be better by the update ??

sorry guys I cant play the game until tomorrow, because I am not at home.
must i install the update if i want to play ??

i dont want to install the update, because i dont want zu lost my modded wrestlers, caws and save.

what should be better by the update ??

Don't worry about the update, just make a backup of the original 2k16.exe file, update and copy the original.exe file back.

I really hope they didn't do this on purpose. 
Like, hopefully it's some sort of error.

Because since we already modded the release version, we know there's a version of the game that can be modded and will go back to that version if needed.
It's almost like they want us to suffer. 
But that's me "jumping the gun" lol I hope I'm wrong. 

WWE2K16.exe

chunk_cache.bin seemed new to me, it must be a new arc file like you're saying.
Anyone able to open it? 7zip won't open it for me. 

EDIT:
Delete the chunk_cache.bin file, and your game will crash FASTER than normal. I'm talking about right as the splash screen shows up.
It's GOTTA BE an arc file/checksum type file. 

Yup, it is some sort of arc file because all relevant pac files are listed there. Even all arena files, characters and so on... I think that is the reason why it crashes with modded files.

everything seems to work even without the chunk_cache.bin and overwriting the new WWEK2K16.exe. Creation Center works fine and online works just fine.

Deleting chunk_cache.bin made the game crash instantly for me.

did you overwrite the new WWE2K16.exe with the old version