Is your game Crashing at Startup? Here is a Fix

pozzum

1. Does anybody have a list of files that changed with the update?
Answer: Only the WWE2K16.exe and the chunk_cache.bin.

2. Does editing the game via cheat engine work as before with the empty chunk_cache.bin method (keeping the new .exe)?
I'd assume it doesn't, as the .exe changed, which would likely offset some memory values. If so, we'd just have to find out what the offset is and add/or subtract that to/from our known memory addresses.
Answer: the addresses seem to be offset by
000000010 hex/16 Decimal. Click here to read more.

3. Is the .pofo/.moveset structure still the same? I'd hate to have done all the work for nothing on the WIAMC2k16 so far a I've been getting close to testing.
Answer: Yes, it is. It's just at a slightly different position in memory now.

By the way, that chunk_cache.bin file appears to be a cache that caches some of the most used assets to improve loading times. I can imagine that there are problems with it trying to cache modded/non-standard files that cause the crashes to happen.

Edited by Cave Waverider

I suspended the update when it was half way through it, how do i stop it? Any way to stop steam from asking me to update the game? 

Nope. You will be forced to do the update.

Does anybody have a list of files that changed with the update?

Pretty sure it's just the exe and chunk_cache file.

Downloaded the old .exe, the blank cache. Replace then, enter the game, long load like before, everything works fine like before too. Replace the new cache over the blank, tried again, games open in 10 seconds and still works with all mods. THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS *-*

Memory addresses are off by 10 (Hex) now.

Example: 

Old Rock POFO start Address: 142856B10

New Patch Rock POFO start Addres: 142856B00

Difference:  000000010 hex = 16 bytes decimal.

Formula: Old Address - Difference = New Address

Example:
Hexadecimal: 142856B10 - 10 = 142856B00
Decimal: 
‭5411007248‬ - 16 = 5411007232

So basically, it's one "line" in the editor higher now (if you have cheat engine set to display 16 Bytes in a line as is default). Pofo data is still the same, I just did the search for the full Rock pofo I had saved for testing purposes and it found it immediately. Not sure if the movset, CAWs, Tag Teams and other addresses are also off by the same value, I'll have to check that.

Edited by Cave Waverider
  • Like 2

replacing old exe does work but all mods i have install there name change to arena or 2k show case method work but not fully all mods still there with random names 

JUST TO LET PEOPLE KNOW - This method worked for me - I downloaded the old exe that was uploaded on here and replaced. I then restarted steam in Offline Mode and the game booted for me and I still have all my mods etc, but If I start the game whilst Steam is set to Online mode, The Game loads fine but none of my mods - punk, hogan etc don't appear and my save doesn't load etc

For anyone still confused, replacing the exe is completely unnecessary.

For me it was necessary. If I put the new one my game start crash.

I doubt that. You probably just messed something up.

where is the Chunck_cache file located in?

The main WWE 2k16 game folder. it's called chunk_cache.bin. Delete it, then create a new, empty file and rename it to chunk_cache.bin (make sure you have file extensions set to show in Windows Explorer or you could wind up with something like chunk_cache.bin.txt instead with .txt invisible, which simply won't work!
There is no need to use the old WWE2k16.exe file, especially since the new one fixes various crash issues. Pozzum is already working on updating the memory tables for the new .exe so that won't be an issue either.

Edited by Cave Waverider
  • Like 1

Same place of WWE2k16.exe

i dont see it

I replaced the wwe2k16 folder but there's no chunk_cache 

Seems my game never was updated would this be why i dont see the chunk_cache folder?

Dafuq? I'm using the new cache(not the blank one), only changed the .exe how I'm messing up? -_-

Edited by IagoVenom

Dafuq? I'm using the new cache(not the blank one), only changed the .exe how I'm messing up? -_-

Don't use the old exe. Use the blank cache instead. It's a much better solution. That way you get the entrance crash fixes and stuff.

Same place of WWE2k16.exe

i dont see it

I replaced the wwe2k16 folder but there's no chunk_cache 

Seems my game never was updated would this be why i dont see the chunk_cache folder?

It's not a folder. It's a file. chunk_cache.bin

the new WWE2K16.exe looks for the chunk_cache, the old WWE2K16.exe doesn't, so deleting the chunk_cache is not necessary. If you want your mods to work just overwrite the new WWE2K16.exe with the old one and that's it.

Don't use the old exe. Use the blank cache instead. It's a much better solution. That way you get the entrance crash fixes and stuff

Oh! Now I get it. If you change only the cache for the blank but dont replace .exe you will get you game updated but working, if you change only the .exe you get the old version with the long load problem. Thank you for the tip! 

I just did a quick test if you want to keep the New WWE2K16.exe and chunk_cache.bin, but still have your mods work and have quick load time.

1.Open the chunk_cache.bin in hex editor and Delete the First Line. Save and that's it

That's all your mods are still there and quick load still works!

• Thanks 1

I just did a quick test if you want to keep the New WWE2K16.exe and chunk_cache.bin, but still have your mods work and have quick load time.

1.Open the chunk_cache.bin in hex editor and Delete the First Line. Save and that's it

And this fixed the crash I was having with some pyros!

I can confirm that is working, too but you don't even have to change the whole line. One byte is enough. But I'm not sure if that really maintained the cache functionality. Maybe it is the same like deleting the whole content. Because after restart the system the game starts as slow as before for me. Second start was also fast before with an empty file.

Edited by TheVisitorX