Is your game Crashing at Startup? Here is a Fix

pozzum

This chunk_cache.bin is not an .arc file. It is some kind of update .pac file (x-packer can't open it) and it contains pach files. It is 595mb big.

lol clearly a .bin is not a .arc file, but the file seems to be serving the same purpose. Like last years "plistWin32.def" file

This chunk_cache.bin is not an .arc file. It is some kind of update .pac file (x-packer can't open it) and it contains pach files. It is 595mb big.

Yeah in hex it has references to a bunch of arena assets, string, etc.

everything seems to work even without the chunk_cache.bin and overwriting the new WWEK2K16.exe. Creation Center works fine and online works just fine.

Deleting chunk_cache.bin made the game crash instantly for me.

did you overwrite the new WWE2K16.exe with the old version

Yes, I reverted to the old exe file and kept the chunk_cache. It works perfectly fine with mods now.

Interesting find. Delete the file and create an emtpy file with the same name, the game will start with modded pac files again... But start takes a bit longer. Maybe like before the update.

Edited by TheVisitorX
  • Like 3

Ok after removeing the first 3 lines from the chunk_cache.bin (so the files starts with EPAC) i can open it in X-packer. It contains a pach file named AD00.pac and this file contains 2 files name 03E8 and EDF0.

Ok after removeing the first 3 lines from the chunk_cache.bin (so the files starts with EPAC) i can open it in X-packer. It contains a pach file named AD00.pac and this file contains 2 files name 03E8 and EDF0.

03e8 files are usually texture archives.

I just deleted all my mods, verified my cache, opened the game unmodded, and it worked fine. Then I re-installed my mods and still no crashes. So the cache thing makes sense, almost like what I did refreshed my cache.

But there must be more in this file, the AD00.pac is only 184kb big

Interesting find. Delete the file and create an emtpy file with the same name, the game will start with modded pac files again... But start takes a bit longer. Maybe like before the update.

Another solution.

But there must be more in this file, the AD00.pac is only 184kb big

Another solution.

There are more EPACs. Keep deleting.

I just deleted all my mods, verified my cache, opened the game unmodded, and it worked fine. Then I re-installed my mods and still no crashes. So the cache thing makes sense, almost like what I did refreshed my cache.

Restart your pc and try if it still works.

Can confirm: HOWEVER

Not sure why, but with the chunk_cache normal file the game loads in like 10 seconds, and with the blank chunk_cache the game takes like 30+ seconds to load like before patch. (I have a SSD)
The chunk_cache file must be the file that makes "reduced load times" possible. 
We must find out how to modify this file lol. 

For the people who want it done for you:
Here's a blank chunk_cache file

http://www.filedropper.com/chunkcache

Edited by JDB

Just spitballin, but maybe it is an archive that loads the most used game textures on boot, rather than when a match is loaded.

It has a bunch of texture archives inside. XP can't seem to open them though.

Luckily i have 2 copies of the game on my HDD so if i ever need spare parts they're readily available.  All i did was make a backupfolder, i put the new WWe2k16.exe and and chuck_cache bin file into that folder. Put a copy of the unpatched game exe into the folder and games runs like it did before patch.  So that's all you have to do.  ive used 2k15 ch files, future string and 2k16 ch files.

Seems like there are no issues with the empty cache method. All is working as before so far. Only loading times are like before the update. So you have the fixes from the update but the loading times are the same as before. But if you play with the old exe, you have the same issues but without the fixes, so...

Edited by TheVisitorX
  • Like 1

Seems like there are no issues with the empty cache method. All is working as before so far. Only loading times are like before the update. So you have the fixes from the update but the loading times are the same as before. But if you play with the old exe, you have the same issues but without the fixes, so...

I'm just going to say:
I feel like replacing the old .exe is not the correct way to go about this. 
Obviously you have a choice though! :p

I'd recommend using a blank chunk_cache file until we come up with a different solution.

So I deleted EVERY file in the folder and replaced with my backup that i made on DAY 1, so there are no mods. However Steam is insisting to download. So it's downloading as I play.  Oddly enough though, It's redownloading my ch47502-ch47594.    That's my CM Punk pack mod.  It's downloading my mods. What.  lol

I'm just going to say:

I'd recommend using a blank chunk_cache file until we come up with a different solution.

I already told you the other solution. I have mods with the new .exe AND fast loading times chunk_cache file. Just remove all mods manually, verify cache, and then open the game. It should load fine. Then close the game and re-install your mods. They should work, and you get to keep the new exe and chunk_cache.

I'm just going to say:

I already told you the other solution. I have mods with the new .exe AND fast loading times chunk_cache file. Just remove all mods manually, verify cache, and then open the game. It should load fine. Then close the game and re-install your mods. They should work, and you get to keep the new exe and chunk_cache.

did you have to edit the mainbody000 save after you readded your mods?

I'm just going to say:

That does not work for me! Started the game with a completely clean install and all is working. When I close the game and insert a pac file, the game crashes right after start. With the empty cache method the game is running fine.

• Like 1

I'm just going to say:

did you have to edit the mainbody000 save after you readded your mods?

Nope. Didn't edit it in the first place so idk if that has something to do with it.

I haven't added any yet. Only replaced and updated so far since it's so much easier. Like a converted 2K15 2006 Finlay mod and stuff like that, and then updated attires for the current guys.