Does the plist.def file have a size limit?

stlpowercat

Just curious is if anyone knows if the plist.def file has a size limit as I think it might.

i have been adding new wrestlers to test various pacs and I ran into an issue with the game not loading, the wwe logo would just spin and spin and couldn't get past it to the "disclaimer" screen at start up. Here was my situation...

arc file size was 187.5 (I've taken out 30YOM)

def file size 9.4 (I've taken out season00-season04)

what I did to resolve this was remove CAB from both def and arc

arc file became 184

and def file became 9.1

thst is the only change I made. Seeing as my arc file was under 188, it leads me to believe that the def file has a size limit.

anyone have a def file that's larger and the game still works?

thanks

• KappaBrain 1

I've concluded there is a limit. I did some trial and error to test the def file size. I can successfully get it to 9.25 Kb. Anything more than that, fatal crash or constant spinning.

i've added all available dlc slots plus 19 more....so around 170 slots. I've only removed 30YOWM and CAB. If you guys are taking out CAA, then you should have room for more. It appears the size of the def is greater influenced by number of characters an in entry and not number of entries....meaning pac\evt\entance06.pac takes up more bytes than pac\ch\ch480.pac.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I managed to run into this issue today. Here's the setting.

ARC has plenty of space (I mean I have at least 3000 spare bytes)

DEF file - 10,0 KB aka 10233 bytes - still works

if I add one more line with CH.pac - I get instant black screen upon starting the game.

That's the limit I assume. Give or take a couple of bytes.

Another INTERESTING thing. I tend to believe that the game stops loading NOT JUST BECAUSE OF THE SIZE OF THE DEF FILE ALONE.

I for example reached the moment where if I add a single line like pac/ch/ch235.pac to the bottom of the DEF file I'd get an immediate black screen upon loading the game.

BUT if I go to the DEF file and removed lines of Universe which I have long since removed from arc:

pac/evt/Universe00.pac
pac/evt/Universe01.pac
pac/evt/Universe02.pac
pac/evt/Universe03.pac

The game still does not work. Though it should technically allow the game to load since its 4 lines vs. 1 one. THOUGH there is one difference. You instead get an immediate and forever loading WWE logo instead of just a black screen.

I managed to put in 187 CDLC charters into a PS3 console game before this happened.

I hope the great minds can figure this one out.

Edited by Impaler

More development. Looks like you must clear out not only def but arc also though in theory arc size limit is not reached to the maximum allowed size.

Its not enough for example to remove chHeads.pac from the def file. The game would not load that way. You also must clear out chHeads.pac data from arc file. then game continues to work. yay.

Though in CDLC case - you can have CDLC arc entries sitting in the arc file as long as they are not in def files its no problem. Strange but cool that I figured it out. :)

Edited by Impaler