The History of Smacktalks - Part 4

Fozy

Volume 4: The Golden Age of SmackDown! Hacking

lnOqXM9.jpg

Note From Sal - Unfortunately, due to the beginning of spring break, I had forgotten to write this week's volume. However, that is not, by any means, a bad thing because this week's piece of SmackTalks History has been written by our very own, Ming and Luke!

Last Week, Sal discussed the slow and terminal disease of Smacktalks.com (I say terminal, because it actually lasted a lot longer than when it should have been given euthanasia long before it did officially end) and the birth of the phenomenon known as SD2H. This week in Volume 4 however, I (Ming) shall talk about SD2H in its prime, aided by the Leprechaun himself (Luke) for the benefit of several people (You). If I miss anybody out in this, I do apologise, but if I was to sit here and write everybody involved during the peak of SD2H's success, it would take all day. 

Lets all go back to April 2001. After a few months of gaining lots of members, and just starting out, SD2H was becoming better than its predecessor, SmackTalks. Several of its regulars had been people who had jumped ship over from SmackTalks. These included people like MasterOfTheSwanton, Kurt The Right Angle, Significant Other 13, Luke Tildsley and DrezCoz to name but a few, and as April came around, members such as errortype 404 (who would later accumulate into TMOTS and eventually, Alex Underhill) as well as Joesmo is God and the infamous Pete is God. These people quickly established themselves in SD2H. DrezCoz was the tester for many codes made at SD2H, and Kurt The Right Angle (although he sucked at hacking) was famous for his ability of being able to convert anything. By April, old Smacktalks.com members such as JerichoIsTheWWF and steveandme became regular members at SD2H. 

By the time April dawned, the now infamous Scaffold Match (which I consider to be nothing better than a 2 by 4 on the ceiling match) created by the one and only Ersen was made, and was considered to be so good that it was Code Of The Week for about 7 months. Speaking of Ersen, for all you n00bs about (or Jobbers, as they were referred to then) Ersen was a pretty good hacker and Admin of SD2H during its prime. He is also well noted for his speech on how bad everyone is for talking on MSN. That's right lads and gents, according to Ersen, speaking on MSN is wrong (which doesn't explain that he is on it more than anybody else). For some reason, he was also called Octagon, but that's a more boring story. 

Also, in April, MOTS opened Smack-Talks…

"Mots told me he was going to make a Smacktalks rip off. I said it was a good idea, and that can I be Mod" - Luke Tildsley

And that's what he did. And it has been open ever since. But this is a story of SD2H, not Smacktalks.org…

Only 2 Administrators are really known by many newer members to have been admin for SD2H. They are Lawzy (the founder) and Ersen (the person). But there was actually 6 admins in SD2H, albeit they were there for a short period of time. Darren Ainsworth (probably the greatest UK Hacker of all time) was Admin, Hacker At Learning (H@L) became Admin after Ersen decided to resign (he did this about 3432 times), but was deadminned soon after he returned. Because of that H@L left SD2H, and hasn't been seen anywhere else since (he could be actually the only person who left for good). SDP and MOTS became Admins whilst Ersen and Lawzy were away (together? It is rumoured that they had a child called Lawsen).

Another person who was posting around that time, was a hacker called Tim Brown, known universally as Efed Masta. He was, funny enough, friends with yogan, which now doesn't surprise me. He was a good hacker, but turned sour, I do not know the full story, but he deleted a few forums everywhere including a few at SD2H. All this did though was actually make the board stronger, as more people came wondering what happened, showing what a closed knit community it was. Tiiimmmmaaayy is still around from time to time.

Talking to the one and only Dr Jitz today, we decided to play a little word association:

Martin says:

Darren Ainsworth

Jitz // Ostralien Lernd says:

simple, possibly dead

Martin says:

SDP

glorified newb

Martin says:

Ersen

geek in denial, drives a civic, possibly queer

Martin says:

steveandme

legend, brought me to sd2h and got me my mod spot, absolute legend

I second this remark. 

Martin says:

DrezCoz

General Chat staple, sorely missed

And because I couldn't help myself…

Martin says:

Ming

misunderstood, possibly because he didn't know when to stop

The hacking of codes at SD2H was merely unbelievable. Full HIAC with climbing created by THE SECRET HACKER (who threatened to sue me for using the brilliant Lag X to freeze his computer). Smackdown 2.5 led by MOTS which has hundreds of lines of coding in order to make it. There was also the unfinished Invasion version of Smackdown 2, which was led by me, and included a lot of hackers and codes, but unfortunately, nowhere near finished. 

Then there was my speciality. EAW hacking. Edit A Wrestler was around for Smackdown 1, but was nowhere near the level it could of dreamed of reaching before SD2H. Mattnjeff2xtreme, Crazy Train Ver Back Off, Ant Xtreme and others revolutionized this with being able to edit movesets and edit wrestlers appearances. This added a lot of variety and much needed updating to the game, now that you could get rid of worthless creatures like The Kat and replace them with Ken Shamrock or Old School Undertaker. 

The matches made at SD2H were nothing short of greatness. Besides Ersen's 2 by 4 on the ceiling, which my little sister could of hacked, there was the Inferno match. Brimstone match. Electric Arena. A dumpster match. These matches made playing the game a hell of a lot more fun. Lions Den match. But alas, in my opinion, the greatest code ever made for SD2 was made by someone who never even posted there. The Barbed Wire match created by Geodim. Imagine what could of happened if he did actually post there… 

It was due to this phenom that over 6600 members poured in. 

The board was seemingly indestructible, which only allowed more people to try and delete it. Forums were deleted about once a month, but it would not die. Until it eventually did. Tune in next week for the War Of The Boards, including the death of SD2H, the final breath of Smacktalks.com/.net and the rise of Smacktalks.org. Same bat time, same bat channel…well, if Sal can get off his arse and do it that is…

Credit:

• RingMaster2001 - For writing the article and contributing his knowledge to the ST:N project.
  • Tychoma - For contributing knowledge and helping Ming write this article. 
  • jitz - For his contributions via the interview with Ming

Extra content for jitz;

Meh, he's ok. I don't talk to him much but he's ok. I think he would agree with me on that there isn't much about him to write a long paragraph about. Not blocked, whether he likes it or not.

Edited by Fozy

Just so you know, I don't think I was calling Darren Ainsworth "simple". I think I was saying the answer was simple, that he was possibly dead.

And it's not spelt out, but MasterOfTheSwanton is Smacktalks (Paul).

Just so you know, I don't think I was calling Darren Ainsworth "simple". I think I was saying the answer was simple, that he was possibly dead.

Then who is Paul Paul? I'm confused from distinguishing the former from the latter.

For Brotch:

Ich liebe es an meine Mutter zu wichsen

Edited by BrotchMrToast

Then who is Paul Paul? I'm confused from distinguishing the former from the latter.

For Brotch:

Ich liebe es an meine Mutter zu wichsen

The true Paul aka motsie ;)

How 'bout just staying there? They offer much better accommodations than we ever could. In fact, we never could.

For Brotch:

Permanent Ferienwohnung.

• 8 years later...

Mate this was amazing 

I’m sitting here smiling, just reading these have bought back so many amazing memories and names I had forgotten!

im glad this place is still around after the 10 times we all hacked each other and ruined each others boards lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 9:30 AM, Lawzy said:

I can only see part 3 and 4, have the first couple of parts been lost?

A little bit of fantasy here and there but very cool seeing some of those names I'd forgotten about!

I couldnt find it either, i think they may have been archived!

Yeah i think some of the stories put you as the villain too but you was real humble, i think the wars and hacking between boards was all my fault tbh lol...

On 3/30/2023 at 10:48 AM, Ersenos said:

I couldnt find it either, i think they may have been archived!

Yeah i think some of the stories put you as the villain too but you was real humble, i think the wars and hacking between boards was all my fault tbh lol...

I liked the bit where I was "plotting" with you, that made me laugh! I understand though how events were interpreted. Devin was at it too! For me it was "they're the NTSC place, we're the PAL place" and I was fine with that. The competition made for great codes though!