TUTORIAL - How to hair swap (Unwrap uvw)

bugsyboy

I had 2 folders with pictures for this tutorial and i delete the good one.
I try to recreate my first tutorial so here you go

When i unwrap uwv i like to do my texture first.
I go in photoshop and place the new hair on my texture

1- Open your model yobj in 3dmax

2- Now open the hair yobj you want to add to the model.
Screenshot2014-06-12at120430_zps5ac65ca1

3- While the hair is selected press unwrap uwv then edit , a little window will pop up
Screenshot2014-06-12at122218_zps0f1714e1

Now it should look like this
Screenshot2014-06-12at122028_zps977c164e

4- Go to pick a texture and chose your textures
Screenshot2014-06-12at114921_zps25076a8d

5- Now go to unwrap option and use my setting
Screenshot2014-06-12at123630_zps994e47ca

Screenshot2014-06-12at123930_zps3d78fa47

6 - Now you have to go place that hair where you want it , you can make it smaller , bigger and even turn it around if you want it.
Just use the tools in the little window to move it around
Screenshot2014-06-12at124130_zpsc7e41407

7- Close that window and press on parts of your hair to select them , select all vertices of that part and extract just like you would do normally
Screenshot2014-06-12at124638_zps0efa1a77

You wont see how much vertices there is until you extract so what i do is name it 1 then look at the number of vertices and rename it

Go to Xrey and inject your hair parts. At this poin the unwrap uwv is done but you still need to work on 2 things

-Your hair placement and the normals
Screenshot2014-06-12at114715_zpsd72cf53b

Hope you guys understand

Edited by bugsyboy
  • Like 1

No as you can see in the picture they dont match but you got to place it where you can so its usaly where the hair is.

Sometime maybe you need to make place and move texture around

If you do , you have to unwrap uwv all the part that you move

• 3 months later...

Hey man, any chance you can briefly type up an overview of how you perform this process? It obviously sounds different then the method posted on tekken's site.

If not that's fine, I'll probably figure it out. Would just save me some time if I'm headed in the right direction.

• 2 months later...

You need to uncheck "Tile Bitmap" so you can tell what you doing, otherwise it doesn't make sense. Then you use the moving / scaling tools to position that green box to the portion of your color.dds (or .png) texture that you want to display on your hair .yobj.

You will also need to edit your normal.dds in the same spot you designate during this process otherwise it won't look right in-game. I try to come up with some sort of a "land marker" within the color.dds so that I know down to a pixel that my color.dds and normal.dds both have the hair in the same spot.

Lastly, don't forget to edit the alpha layer of the normal.dds (the one that is only black and white). That tells the game what portion of the hair to display (completely white) and which parts to not display (completely black). That layer also determines how much light to reflect back off of the rest of the model (i.e. shine on tights, skin, etc.)

• 4 weeks later...

I need a little help. I figured out how to place the textures in spot but how do I save the updated coordinates? Every time I reload 3ds max to see if it saved it just reverts back to default. How do I save?

Edited by Littlebase

Yeah but you wont see the vertices numbers while in unwrap uwv.

You will only see it when you extract.

What i do is i extract naming it 1 then i look at the vertices and extract again with the vertices number.

Its better for when you inject with xrey

ok I think I ran into a problem here. when I export it saves bigger than original. the original is 175kb and the the one with updated uvw is 205 kb?

What im doing is selecting all parts of the hair ie. 2710_0, 2710_1, 2710_2, 2710_3 and then click unwrap uvw and put them in the right places. Why am I getting a bigger file. When I edited the uvws one by one I rendered the texture and it didn't look right.

EDIT: Ok so idk about the size but when I try to import using x-ray I get an error message vertices must be same number. When I check the numbers they are the same. This is what im doing. opening original hair yobj then on object 0 importing hair obj from 3ds max. Then I get that error message.

Edited by Littlebase

Ok gotcha. So I think I figured out how to do it. So after you get done mapping save the .obj. Then load the .obj in 3ds max and save the individual .obj files like:

2710_0

2710_1

2710_2

2710_3

Then open the .yobj in x-ray and import the individual .obj files. Then open x-packer and inject the 2710.yobj back into the pach then all the other nesscary files like the color and normal dds. Is that correct?

Also one more question. How would I uvw unwrap the normal texture? After im done with the color I just select pick texture from the drop down menu and select the normal and map it? I don't have to exit out of that menu and select unwrap uvw again? 

The main model/object is called a .yobj. So for your hair it is 2710.yobj.

.yobj's are made up of individual .obj's i.e. 2710_0, etc. Double click on these individually in X-Rey to view the differences.

When your unwrapping uvw, your doing it for the entire .yobj. You do the placement with the color.dds (or color.png). Once finished you have to select the individual .obj's that make up the .yobj i.e. 2710_0. Use the select object by name button at first to make it easier. Then export selected, choose .obj, and save it to a folder, for 2710_0 name it Object0.obj. Follow Tekken's tutorial http://sf4mods.blogspot.com/2014/02/x-rey-how-to-edit-models.html for the export settings. Note the vertex count when you export the .obj, it should match the vertex count in X-Rey for that object.

You only need to unwrap uvw for the color texture, it will automatically look to the exact same spots on the normal.dds. You do need to edit your normal.dds so that everything matches otherwise it won't display correctly in the game.

Example: My Triple H 98 mod. I took Christian's hair and put it onto Triple H.
- Injected Christian's 2710.pac into the 2710 slot in my Triple H PACH. This will import the hair into the game, but the textures aren't mapped properly.
- Unwrap uvw's for Christian's 2710.yobj, putting the placement over the hair areas in the Triple H color.dds. Noting the positions in my mind.
- Select each .obj that makes up the 2710.yobj and export selected.
- Import them into the .yobj via X-Rey into the appropriate slots.
- Rename the 2710.yobj to 2710.pac and inject it back into your PACH (I think I normally do compress and inject for hair).
- Take the textures for Christian's hair from his color.dds and paste them into Triple H's color.dds in the exact same spot you designated during the unwrap uvw process.
- At this point if you inject color.dds into 000C.pac and inject it into the PACH then into the PAC it should load the new hair, and the new texture, but still be slightly off. This is because you have to edit the normal.dds to also match.
- Take the textures for Christian's hair from his normal.dds and paste them into Triple H's normal.dds in the exact same spot you designated during the unwrap uvw process. You need to do this for both the RGB layer and the Alpha layer of the normal.dds. See pics below to help illustrate. 

30ncdxu.png

25a6pvl.png

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On 7/10/2014 at 5:47 PM, bugsyboy said:

I had 2 folders with pictures for this tutorial and i delete the good one.
I try to recreate my first tutorial so here you go

When i unwrap uwv i like to do my texture first.
I go in photoshop and place the new hair on my texture

1- Open your model yobj in 3dmax

2- Now open the hair yobj you want to add to the model.
Screenshot2014-06-12at120430_zps5ac65ca1

3- While the hair is selected press unwrap uwv then edit , a little window will pop up
Screenshot2014-06-12at122218_zps0f1714e1

Screenshot2014-06-12at122028_zps977c164e

4- Go to pick a texture and chose your textures
Screenshot2014-06-12at114921_zps25076a8d

5- Now go to unwrap option and use my setting
Screenshot2014-06-12at123630_zps994e47ca

Screenshot2014-06-12at123930_zps3d78fa47

6 - Now you have to go place that hair where you want it , you can make it smaller , bigger and even turn it around if you want it.
Just use the tools in the little window to move it around
Screenshot2014-06-12at124130_zpsc7e41407

7- Close that window and press on parts of your hair to select them , select all vertices of that part and extract just like you would do normally
Screenshot2014-06-12at124638_zps0efa1a77

You wont see how much vertices there is until you extract so what i do is name it 1 then look at the number of vertices and rename it

Go to Xrey and inject your hair parts. At this poin the unwrap uwv is done but you still need to work on 2 things

-Your hair placement and the normals
Screenshot2014-06-12at114715_zpsd72cf53b

Hope you guys understand

Can someone send me the clear picture I reached to the point 4 after that I can't see the settings what @bugsyboy says

Edited by MKKHAN