PS3 Vs 360 Modding

LordBarker

Firstly, I’m no expert modder. That’s reserved for guys like UndertakerWLF, Rooster, Kim666, Tekken57, Judders, BugsyBoy, Matyhaus and many others! Also I know some of this info might be available elsewhere, and presented more succinctly. However, I thought it would be useful to put all of this in one place since I’ve gotten a number of PMs regarding modding on PS3, and the difference between the PS3 and 360. So rather than answer each PM individually I thought it would be useful to do a kind of summary on how modding varies, and hopefully provide some useful info on PS3 modding. I have written this quite quickly, so apologies for any errors or slow approaches to doing things, these are ways that worked for me. All credit goes to Kim666 and UndertakerWLF who were incredibly helpful and patient when I was PS3 modding.

My setup is as follows:

PS3 Rogero 4.46 CEX (Setup for PSN access)

360 Slim Matrix Triple NAND (Allowing LIVE access and RGH)

For me this was the best route and I did both mods myself, and am able to download CAWS from the retail side and inject into the CFW/RGH side.

*First of all on the PS3 everything needs to be real-time modded – more on that later. However a key tool on the PC side is CCAPI Debugger. I use a custom version for Rogero 4.46, since the standard version does not work. As far as I know this is not readily available so I have uploaded it here:http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/53312409/file.html

*Some useful files for PS3 modding that differ from 360. These assume you have unlocked all official DLC packs:

-Misc_dlc03.pac (used for attires) – Found in: GAME/BLES01937/USRDIR/Catalog5/pac

-MenuHD.pac (This needs to be changed to: enuHD.pac when replacing renders for your Community DLC) – Found in: GAMES/BLES01937-[WWE2K14]/PS3_GAME/USRDIR/PAC/MENU

-When editing strings, the file you need is 5001, not 5000. That is if your system language is set to UK. I could not find US.

*Next I thought I’d answer some of the common questions I have received on PM.

-“Is modding on PS3 an easy process?”

Compared to 360, not really. It’s certainly quicker on 360 simply because PUR3’s tool and the 360 save are available, therefore you can add large packs of wrestlers at once and adjusting things like height, trons etc. need no knowledge of hex. On the PS3 almost everything is done ‘manually’, that is to say that other than adding renders, names and ‘prepping’ your wrestler using Tekken’s guide here, post #15: everything is done through real-time modding following Kim666’s guide here: To be honest both consoles have their different foibles, which I list at the bottom.

-“Are you able to add the entire DLC or one wrestler at a time?”

On PS3 it’s one wrestler at a time. Technically you could add more, but it becomes difficult to keep track of because of all the steps involved. I’d recommend doing one at the time, since there is less chance of things going wrong!

-“How long does it take you on average to add a CDLC wrestler?”

I’d say first time along a couple of hours from start to finish – and by finish I mean all strings correct, renders and music added. This may sound like a long time but with the PS3 you have to ‘prep’ the wrestler using Tekken’s guide linked above, and then have to mod them in. Afterwards you then have to add renders, change strings, unlock all attires in the misc.pac and create a moveset. This last step is significantly easier if you have a CAW already in place to copy across the moveset. After getting used to the process I was able to add a wrestler in about 35-40 minutes, I’d imagine you might be able to get that down a bit, but there’s not a lot of ways to reduce this because most of the process is done ‘manually’, so to speak.

-“Do you have any recommendations for me prior to getting started?”

Read Kim’s guide. Read Tekken’s guide. Have patience!

-“How do I add renders on PS3?”

Regarding renders I have only ever replaced current renders for custom DLC on the PS3. First of all you need to open the MenuHD (or renamed enuHD).pac in Xpacker9. You need to choose a wrestler to replace and it needs to be someone who is accessible in the PS3. To find out who is accessible do the following:

Open the PS3 arc in a hex editor (I recommend HxD) and do a text string search for SSFA. You actually need to do two searches, since we don’t want to mess with the first SSFA we find. So search once for SSFA and you will find it, then re-search again, it will find SSFA again and you will see lots of pac numbers after it starting with 100. These are the numbers we need to change, since these are the wrestlers whose renders are available – basically it is anyone who is not DLC. If you scroll down you will actually see 3 entries SSFA, SSFB, SSFC. We need to change all three of these, or rather the pac numbers in them. For example I decide that I want to change the Miz’s render, his pac number is 218 so I scroll down SSFA and find his number. Now I have added Davey Boy in Slot 407, so I simply change 218 to 407. I then do this in the SSFB and SSFC entries, so all three entires not read 407 instead of 218.

Now, with the enuHD.pac open in Xpacker I find the Miz’s entries 217, I rename them to 407 and compress and inject Davy Boy’s DDS renders into them. I then add the updated arc and enuHD back in their respective folders on the PS3.

Positives of adding CDLC to PS3

No ‘shine’ on WWE12 models

Title Updates and DLC are easier to activate

Strings.pac uncompresses correctly

None of the files are compressed, so LeFluffie isn’t needed

As far as I’ve experienced, very few ‘corrupt save’ errors

A sense of achievement!

Some issues with PS3:

Certain slot numbers that work on the 360 play up on the PS3 for example they will load the character but will crash the game when you go to edit movesets. This is a bit hit and miss, if in doubt use Kim’s guide to find the best initial working slots.

Having real-time modded 7 wrestlers into the game using Tekkens CDLC1 catalog file, every subsequent wrestler cannot have their height changed. This is very odd and I never found a fix. So I modded in Demolition, Road Warriors, British Bulldogs and Bam Bam fine. Afterwards I tried Zeus, Sid and Benoit and while they all went into the game okay, I could not change their height. I tried several slots and had the same issue, so am unsure how to resolve this.

As I say this is a quick guide, and hopefully will be added to. But hopefully it answers some basic questions about PS3 modding I had, as well as answer the PM’s I’ve been sent. Again, I’m no expert modder I just thought this might be useful to a couple of people. Happy modding. 

• Thanks 1

Haha it was just a general list off the top of my head! I think we know there are quite a few more chaps like pur3 as you say, Anabolica, Summer Slammers, Petchy etc. etc. who do some great work. Certainly didn't mean to disclude anyone :)

Edited by LordBarker

Thanks for the write up and pm responses Lord Barker! After hearing about not being able to adjust the height on the ps3 side, I may need to be in the hunt for an rgh next. I guess I could go the ol fashion route and replace the in game current roster with legends and make an all legends game. Hmmmm. Decisions decisions...

Edited by cparker33

Cheers for that Kim, forgot to add that! Yeah it may be something I personally did wrong. But after 7 wrestlers being fine, every one after regardless of dlc pack would not adjust correctly. I was planning to mod my 360 anyhow so it just made sense that when I couldn't figure how to alter the height after several attempts that I give 360 modding a go :)

I was going to do an all legends game too cparker , since I'm not overly familiarly with the wwf after 96/97, but didn't like the ring annoucer calling other wrestlers names out. If that doesn't bother you you can of course turn it down :)

Great write up, for 2K14 the systems couldnt be any further apart.

The sounds of an all legends game sounds good, I would start by replacing the majority of the main roster with Legends. Are you just adding the wrestlers  or going the whole hog and customizing the layouts of the screens? a project like this is not for the feint hearted, get a few people on boadr Bugsy and Summerslammer have some really good stuff! the more people involved the better.

• 11 months later...

just to confirm, In order to edit the String_dlc05.pac for use with BLES01937 UK I need to extract the 0000 from 5000(US) and inject it into 5001 (UK)?

Edit: tried it and after a few attempts it has worked..

Edited by Legion of Doom..
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

I was almost clawing my eyes out when editing string files for maybe month and a half WITH NO SUCCESS!

And giving this forum a one more go at searching a very general term "string" and reading any and every topic I can find I read this! 5001 file has to be edited on PS3 and not 5000 like mentioned in every tutorial!

This must be it!

Can't wait to get back from work after a few hours and check if that was the problem I had all along. Bah God so many hours wasted editing the wrong file.

---

Edit yes it finally worked!

Edited by Impaler

• 2 weeks later...