ZLIB Compression file tutorial, no need to update arcs!!

Miztah Raza

Here's a ZLIB compression tutorial. The point of compressing files to ZLIB is so that you don't have to update the arcs. X-PacKer does not support updating the entries for most files other than the wrestler pacs, but, it can open/inject files into 'em. So basically, if we take out the part X-PacKer can't do(which is update the arcs for most non-wrestler pacs), then we basically blow open most of the game :)2

Before starting the tutorial I'd like to give thanks to the following people:

Tekken57 for suggesting to me to use ZLIB and explaining header info.

BrienJ for actually using ZLIB which is what led Tekken57 to telling ME to use it.

THQ for adding ZLIB support in SvR 2010, lol.

Okay, let's begin.

First off, we all know how to uncompress BPE files using X-PacKer, so, just as an example, I'll uncompress 000C.bpe from a wrestler PACH file, this will leave me with 000C.bpe and 000C.pac, X-PacKer can open/edit 000C.pac, so, I inject an edited texture, X-PacKer automatically saves, nothing new here.

Now, download ZDrop application, here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1jkog4jan7nimbs/zdrop.exe

(Not my program, I honestly do not remember who made this, but this is NOT my work)

Simply drag and drop the edited 000C.pac into the ZDrop application, a new file will be created in the same directory as the 000C.pac, with a .ZLIB extentsion.

Open the 000C.BPE in a hex editor. Also open the 000C.pac.ZLIB in the hex editor. Copy all the contents from 000C.pac.ZLIB, skip the first line in the 00C.bpe and paste the copied info from the second line onwards(hope that made sense, lol). Be sure to overwrite, not insert. You will notice that there will 'random' bytes from the old BPE that are still there, ZLIB files are almost always smaller than BPEs, that's why. So just fill the remaining bytes with 00s, this is called 'padding' the file, there's a command that automatically does this for you in HxD, it's called 'fill selection'. You simply select the 'left over' bytes from the BPE and use the fill selection command and fill it with zeroes.

Now, we go back to the header. The header still says BPE, well, that's wrong since it's no longer a BPE, so, we simply overwrite BPE with ZLIB0.

Hope you're still with me here, now, highlight ZLIB0 and look at the byte afer the 0x30(which stands for zero in the 'text' part, lol) it probably says 0x01, change that 0x12.

Done :)2

It may seem a little tough at first, but once you get the hang of it, you can compress files like this in no time ;)2

I'm also sorry for not knowing the 'technical' names for some things, so if you have a problem with that, go fk yourself, I tried my best :P2

I'm also sorry for not posting pics, I'm lazy, deal with it.

This also works for WWE '13 :)2

Cheers!

Hmmmm.... if your boss was to get kidnapped and locked away in an asylum for a week in Kazakhstan, would that be enough time for you to finish coding it? Because I think I can make that happen :lol

• 1 month later...

BTW!  This works on WWE 2K14.  I have an xk3y and it doesn't play well with arc mods or file size changes.  I was able to add logos among other things with this and xpacker.

Edited by JBP

• 1 year later...