WWF scratch logo

ashepherd316

I was just wandering why dont wwe use the old wwf scratch logo for belts and arenas on the game that were before 2002 like raw is war 98 as I’m sure they are allowed to use it now.

On 5/22/2018 at 5:05 PM, ashepherd316 said:

I’m sure they are allowed to use it now.

That's where you're wrong, my friend. While they're allowed to keep it on on stuff on the WWE network for archival purposes to preserve their original presentations, they still can't use the name or logo in any current media, including video games. But anyone could easily import the logo into 2K18 and use it in their custom arenas/superstars/championships, etc.

ah i see but surely when the have the 98 raw arena that should have the wwf logo as in real life it was wwf in 98 so really they are trying to change history.

• 2 weeks later...

They're not trying to change history. You can't have it both ways, either they include the RAW '98 Arena with the more recent scratch logo, no logo at all or don't include it in the game period. As part of the deal, like the above user said, WWE isn't allowed to the WWF Attitude era logo in any new material even though it's a recreation of something from the past. It can only be shown in the older footage but can not be used for anything new at all.

On 5/24/2018 at 4:18 PM, ashepherd316 said:

they are trying to change history.

Okay, let me explain it in a bit more detail. The whole situation is pretty confusing to most people without a firm grasp on exactly what happened in 2002 with the name change from WWF to WWE. So in 2002 due to issues with the World Wildlife Fund (also commonly abbreviated as the WWF,) McMahon had to change the name from World Wrestling Federation to World Wrestling Entertainment to avoid copyright and other legal issues with the World Wildlife Fund. And with that the comment abbreviation of WWF also had to be changed to WWE. For the longest time, they weren't allowed to say or have anything to do with the name WWF. All footage from old matches had any superstar or diva who said "WWF" be censored to say "WW," and all logos were blurred unless it was the logo watermark in the corner of the screen, which instead of being blurred was changed to the WWE logo. This stayed like this until 2012, when the World Wildlife Fund decided it had been long enough, and they were allowed to use the WWF name in logo in old archival footage of matches without censoring. But that DIDN'T change that they weren't allowed to use the name or logo in anything that wasn't archival footage. Examples being, not being able to use the name or logo of WWF in any promos, commercials, commentary, games, website articles, and other things just to name a few. In other words it would be illegal to use the name or logo of WWF in any current and new WWE media, but IS allowed to be shown without censorship in any old footage of old matches, ect. They're not trying to change history, they just aren't allowed to use the logo.

Edited by TSK

What's interesting, is that the company was actually renamed in 1999 to World Wrestling Federation Entertainment, Inc when they re branded Titan Sports. WWF was like a subsidiary brand of Titan Sports. So then in 2002, all they had to do was drop the "federation" from their corporate name, and just merge all their brands together. 

If they'd not already owned the name 'World Wrestling Federation Entertainment', it would have been slightly more difficult to acquire the trademark for 'World Wrestling Entertainment'. So who knows, they might have had to rename the company to something else entirely. 

Edited by Titavius