My sister started smoking, how do I scare her straight?

DrJoeyMagnum

since i quit....my teeth got so much whiter. I can taste/smell better. I dont cough up stuff in the shower. I just dont cough all the time in general.

The smell permeates thru everything. You don't even notice it anymore....but pretty much everyone is gonna notice u smell like smoke. 

Emphyzema is a very real thing. My dad has it. And he coughs his brains out all day. And once ur addicted and smoke for years.....quitting becomes harder and harder the longer u do it.  My dad has emphyzema and its literally killing him. We all tell him to quit. The doctors tell him to quit. But he's been smoking for nearly 50 years....and its just impossible for him to quit. It is apart of his life and routine. His body thinks it needs cigarettes like it needs water or air.

more important then smoking ruining ur health. It hurts the ppl that care about u. When ur young its all fun and games. But eventually u are going to get older, and the smoking is going to be the #1 thing that can kill u. 

I hate seeing my friends smoke. Knowing what its doing to my dad. Watching ur dad kill himself and not be able to stop is torture dude. 

If someone starts smoking that u care about. I wouldn't even be nice about it. Straight up. Break their cigarette. steal their pack and throw it in trash. Do whatever. Because u being a prick and getting yelled at is infinitely better than watching them spend years destroying their lungs for no reason

Edited by eastcoastkody

In all seriousness though, you don’t. Using fear to get people to do what you want is kinda like terrorism. More importantly, you can’t smoke in this day and age without being aware of the health risks, she likely either doesn’t care, or is too young and immature to take them seriously.

That being said, how much does the average pack of cigarettes cost where you live? In Fauxstralia they are currently slowly pricing tobacco out of existence (fuck you @LeslieEi I know you have something to do with that, bitch). Most people I know that have quit did so because they reached a point where the had to choose between smokes or being able to eat and keep a roof over their heads. When I first started the health risks were never going to deter me from smoking, but had I realized the cost would triple within a decade then I would’ve thought twice about it. Might pay to do a little bit of research into the cost, not only of cigarettes but also weigh it up against average weekly living expenses, maybe throw in some projections of how those costs will increase over the next few years (if smokings actually relatively affordable in Ireland, then I’d highlight trends in countries like Fauxstralia, and maybe suggest that Ireland might follow those trends), and emphasise that the more she gets addicted to it, the more dependant she will become, and her consumption will only increase over time (when I first started a 50gram of tobacco could last me 3-4 weeks, now I’d be lucky if I could stretch one out to last a week and a half). Even if cost, or the health risks in and of themselves aren’t a big enough deterrent, the combination of the two might be.

Of course if she’s smoking pot you should encourage her, and then get high to reward yourself!

2 hours ago, eastcoastkody said:

If someone starts smoking that u care about. I wouldn't even be nice about it. Straight up. Break their cigarette. steal their pack and throw it in trash. Do whatever. Because u being a prick and getting yelled at is infinitely better than watching them spend years destroying their lungs for no reason

No. If someone did that to me, not only would it not work, but I would completely distance myself from anyone doing it. Even if you can get someone to quit that way, persecuting someone is never going to be an effective motivator. It’ll only undermine a persons confidence, hurt their self esteem, and ultimately alienate you from them. Besides which, who’s to say they just simply wouldn’t smoke around you? (I know a lot of people who have done that). It may be easier to cut it off in its infancy, but at the end of the day no one is going to quit until they are ready to do so.

Fucks sake, I’m starting to feel like Kyle with all my gay little speeches.

• Bliss 1

When you are all at the dinner table, sit opposite her, and in silence beginning chewing through a pack of cigarettes. Munch it all up and then spit it into your pocket and walk off.

As great as it is to hear that you got laid, and that your sister will now grow up to be just like the members of Butt Out. You still haven’t answered the most important question, does your sister know the way?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...