Perfectionary + reString tool

Perfectplex

f889326696d15ea07ff50d5e524f5723.png

Will this <insert unrelated thing here> NO! it does what I describe, PLEASE READ!

Who made this? I made the modified string for allowing an expanse of custom strings and @Bannockburn kindly made the tool to do all the editing without needing to use a hex editor which would prove tricky as you have to keep within the character limits and one wrong byte can mess it all up.

What is it? Custom Names for all characters possible!

Will it work with other string mods? I don't know?! If another mod uses a modified string file so long as it doesn't do anything with the string_diff file then it should when using the patcher, I tried to design this so that any mods that use the string_win.pac file are compatible.

Will it work with other mods (non string related)? Yes, this is just a string mod for name entries.

Which files are modified? The stringdiff_win.pac is replaced completely but keeps the data that was contained in that file still to do its job, and the string_win.pac file is patchable with the tool, The patch removes the last file in the pac (junk notes file) or you can do this manually, so long as that last file is gone you're good.

Will this be updated in the future to include other strings? It's possible for commonly edited strings if demand is there.

Will it give me a virus? No, if for some reason the tool does flash up a warning it will be a false positive (paranoid antivirus) and if you're still worried ask others.

When and Where can I download? Link is at the bottom of this post but I highly advise you taking your time to read through.

What if I want to remove this to return to normal strings files? Feel free, just use your backed up stringdiff_win.pac file and string_win.pac.

Why does it need to patch out the last file of the string_win.pac to work? You tell me! lol, but it works and that last file is a devs note only so its safe to remove.

What can I do to help further tools like this? Support and promote free tools and mods, donations are a kind gesture but should never be a requirement for anything of this nature.

Can I use the Perfectionary file (modified stringdiff_win.pac file with my mod/tool/whatever? Yes go ahead you are welcome to redistribute and modify whatever way you wish, no credit required but as always I ask that you just don't claim the work as your own selfishly, do not however redistribute reString without Bannockburns permission, this is a tool designed for Perfectionary directly and is the property of @Bannockburn

Warning!!!

Do not attempt to inject the modified stringdiff_win.pac file with other files, this file is intended to be left as it is provided by this mod.

Also do not attempt to edit the strings other than the names using the functions provided! Changing the length of a string throws the offsets out of alignment and will result in a broken stringdiff file.

Perfectionary is a modified string file which allows for complete coverage of all character names, this includes all strings for names for every character from 000 to 999 and covering 8 entries, 7 that are used in the pofo files and 1 which may or may not be required, compatible with PerfectPlextra (cheap plug alert)

reString is a tool created by @Bannockburn to work with this file to allow easy editing of the names directly with no need for unpacking, repacking, injecting or anything else, the tool will do all the work behind the scenes, you just scroll through the 1000 names and select the Character you wish to edit by right clicking and clicking on "find related strings" to grab the 8 related string files to that ch ID to edit directly.

Feel free to help support @Bannockburn and his junk food habit and/or his tools.

btn_donate_SM.gif

Patching the string_win.diff and why?

It is important that the last shdc file in the string_win.pac does not exist, you have a couple of ways to do this.

The easiest and most obvious way is to use reString and the patcher in the utilities menu.

You can repack your string_win.pac file without the last file.

or you can hex edit 

At byte 56 [38 in hex] change the 0F to 0E

At byte 2,328 [918] overwrite (DO NOT INSERT) with 20 empty bytes.

6c331cb2a01fc2ba520f573edbf445d1.png

At byte 4,264 [10A8] overwrite with 12 empty bytes

8275f1cba6bde84052d6e06ae25f92f2.png

At byte 3,770,368 [39 88 00] overwrite with 96 empty bytes

843947d304f048d8aff6e5d6112b0eed.png

reString Info

Select your language and you have different ways to access the strings to edit, you can scroll through the entire modified stringdiff_win.pac file of the language you chose, you can do a string search to search for names directly or you can use the Character Select style 'Specific ID Search' list in the bottom left to scroll through all 1000 CH entries, this displays the first name string as a quick reference as this is the most commonly used string in the game for the name.

757d3fa7216681fad498bb51e6439d0e.png

You can use the 'Specific ID Search' to find the Name of whom you want to edit
if you right click you will be given the option to find the 8 strings related to that CH ID.

From here you use the main window to right click and edit the strings, you can enter from 1 to 35 characters per name.

a642753c3d9f5802e63c9b3e92448d4c.png

You can use the String Filter function to look for an exact name, Be aware that it is case sensitive and may find several entries from different characters that use the same string.

de0fd3fa1f97fe34b34824c03828d7ca.png

The String entries are consistent with the default games method of using name ID's and therefore the pofos need no adaptation unless a string is missing.

A	C5 6D 03 00	57 05 00 00	1367	DEAN AMBROSE		Selection Name and HUD
B	C0 79 03 00	27 0D 00 00	3367	Dean Ambrose		Not Used (Career News?)
C	CE 85 03 00	0F 11 00 00	4367	DEAN AMBROSE		Entrance Nameplate RAW
D	9C 90 03 00	F7 14 00 00	5367	DEAN AMBROSE		Nickname
E	25 9B 03 00	C7 1C 00 00	7367	DEAN AMBROSE		Match Overhead Target Name
F	04 A7 03 00	97 24 00 00	9367	DEAN AMBROSE		Entrance Nameplate
G	A2 B2 03 00	67 2C 00 00	11367	DEAN AMBROSE		Matchup Loading Screen
H	53 BD 03 00	37 34 00 00	13367	@TheDeanAmbrose		Social Media Account Name

String_Dif File Order (as used in reString):
	String A	1000 + ch ID	Selection Name and HUD
	String B	3000 + ch ID	Not Used (Career News?)
	String C	4000 + ch ID	Entrance Nameplate RAW
	String D	5000 + ch ID	Nickname
	String E	7000 + ch ID	Match Overhead Target Name
	String F	9000 + ch ID	Entrance Nameplate
	String G	11000 + ch ID	Matchup Loading Screen
	String H	13000 + ch ID	Social Media Account Name

Order they appear on the pofo file:
	String A	1000 + ch ID	Selection Name and HUD
	String F	9000 + ch ID	Entrance Nameplate
	String E	7000 + ch ID	Match Overhead Target Name
	String D	5000 + ch ID	Nickname
	String G	11000 + ch ID	Matchup Loading Screen
	String H	13000 + ch ID	Social Media Account Name
	String C	4000 + ch ID	Entrance Nameplate RAW

Order they appear in Data Editor:
1	String A	1000 + ch ID	Selection Name and HUD
2	String G	11000 + ch ID	Matchup Loading Screen
3	String F	9000 + ch ID	Entrance Nameplate
4	String C	4000 + ch ID	Entrance Nameplate RAW
5	String E	7000 + ch ID	Match Overhead Target Name
6	String D	5000 + ch ID	Nickname
7	String H	13000 + ch ID	Social Media Account Name

You can also edit the stringdiff_win.pac file with a Hex Editor but do so at your own risk!

All the names must not grow or shrink the 36 byte chunk!!!

Namefields are required to be minimum 2 characters and no larger than 35 Characters

9151b275f27d2004955f4de18ced6ca8.gif

Quick start guide:

Requires game arc to be nulled as with all mods!

1) Download

2) BACK UP AND SAVE your string_win.pac and stringdiff_win.pac files found in WWE 2K18 / pac / string

3) Overwrite the stringdiff_win.pac file with the one in the zip file.

4) Run reString and patch the string_win.pac

5) GO! GO! GO!

Useful links related to this mod:

Works well with (cheap plug alert):

Update notes:

1.01 : Fixed "DREW McIntyre" to "DREW MCINTYRE"

1.02 : All DLC Names Added

Edited by Perfectplex
  • Like 8
  • Too Sweet 4
  • Thanks 4

58 minutes ago, 204863 said:

So this tool is only for changing names of already existing characters in the game - not for adding names to empty slots, correct?

It covers every character possible from ch000 to ch999, if the pofo you inject uses the default games naming convention as mentioned in the first post then it will display correctly otherwise you will have to wait for Data Editor or use other means to correct the name in the pofo and you're good to go.

6 hours ago, Perfectplex said:

It covers every character possible from ch000 to ch999, if the pofo you inject uses the default games naming convention as mentioned in the first post then it will display correctly otherwise you will have to wait for Data Editor or use other means to correct the name in the pofo and you're good to go.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up!