Sound Editor 2018 [Released: Version 1.4.1]

TheVisitorX

With all the crazy referee voice samples, I can't remember if I ever heard those in previous games.  There's definitely not enough files to have separate calls for every wrestler in the game, unlike the ring announcements.  Maybe they quit using the ref audio (besides basic counts) when they added the referee selection options.  With the addition of various refs, they would have to record a whole new set of lines for each one like the Japanese ref for example.  Surprised they left in all the references to former wrestlers like Punk.

I don't know if it's possible from a modding perspective, but would be fun to figure out how to enable the referee voices during gameplay.  I bet they disabled it because it was almost too goofy.  If the volume levels were just low enough to hear it, but not distract from commentary or other sounds, I think it would be a neat feature.  (And could be super fun to re-record custom referee VO clips and become the referee in your own game!)

The file _startup_audio_pxx.pac is a pretty essential file for the game. Among other things, it decides which pck files are loaded. In addition to this information, there are also sound events, which were previously found in the sound.pac file. It also contains information about Wwise's game objects and settings. And information about the volume and the fadings. As well as pyro-information and  the names of all sound banks. However, I am not sure what exactly is used of it, because once again there are several overlays with other files. Apparently the same file is taken for every DLC and only the information for the DLCs is added.

Edited by TheVisitorX

What are the best methods to dig into that file?  I've not done enough work with Hex editing in recent years, but have been reading tons of historic threads on pac files and extraction.  I'd be curious to find out if there's ways to adjust anything that controls the sounds.  When you mention the pyro info, does that have text associated with the files in the sfx_m.pck?  I just finished going through that file and entering names for sounds that were unique or relevant, but skipped almost all the pyro sounds.  (Found lots of motorcycle sounds for Taker's entrance and T2 Arnold, various chainsaw engine noises for Finn Balor's entrance, and likely the old Chainsaw Charlie entrance, etc...)  I'm so curious about how those clips are triggered by the animations, or if they're all just time based from some code or script we won't be able to access.  Many files I've found recently, like the vocals for wrestlers with speech during entrances are just long files the equivalent length of the entrance, and timed so the audio matches the animation, rather than being a short audio clip triggered at the right moment.  Same with Bray Wyatt saying, "Follow the Buzzards" -- it's a file with a bunch of blank audio up until he says it, so it's timed to his entrances/victory.  But the Wyatt Family intro and end sound effects are short clips (triggered in the entrance file itself, or some other hidden data table.)

Quite a few updates in this newest custom_data.xml --

Fully complete:
crowds_m.pck (both english(us) and sfx) - All Crowd Chants
ssvo_m.pck - Superstar Vocal Taunts, Entrance Vocals
sfx_m.pck - (sfx) Menu Music, Entrance Prop Sounds (Motorcycles, Chainsaws), Wyatt Family Effect, Sting Crow Effect
comm_chatter0_m.pck - Coach Bloom Training Vocals
character_ss6_m.pck - Tons of Superstar taunt audio, A lot of JoJo Superstar Names, Crowd Chants, Entrance Vocals
* game_mode_m.pck - See note below, but also includes Commentary Cut Scene data though after I closed and re-opened it seems to have lost my descriptive text.

Partially complete:
sfx_m.pck (english(us)) - Referee voice overs, counts, etc (About 50% completed)
character_ss0_m.pck - Commentary Specific to Superstars (About 40% completed)

* I noticed game_mode_m.pck includes "english(us)" and "sfx" and both actually reference the Menu Music IDs from sfx_m.pck, and the Coach Bloom audio from comm_chatter0_m.pck.  It didn't appear to save the Cut Scene text I typed, which may be referenced elsewhere and needs to be edited there first...  odd.

Download link for @TheVisitorX

Google Drive Link: custom_data_021518_2.xml

Edited by TheKreator
Accidentally hit post before I finished typing up description
  • Thanks 2

@TheKreator Great, thank you, I will merge your changes when I'm back from work. Regarding your "save issue". All xml files are loaded on start, that means. If you close a pck file which you have edited and open it again at a later time without closing the exe it will not show your edited entries! But if you close the program and open it again, your edited entries should be there!

* I noticed game_mode_m.pck includes "english(us)" and "sfx" and both actually reference the Menu Music IDs from sfx_m.pck,

What do you mean with that? Yes, both file have the menu soundtracks in it, even with the same ids. character_ss (maybe ss = superstar select)x_m.pck also has entries from ra_m.pck!

Edited by TheVisitorX

19 hours ago, TheVisitorX said:

@TheKreator Great, thank you, I will merge your changes when I'm back from work. Regarding your "save issue". All xml files are loaded on start, that means. If you close a pck file which you have edited and open it again at a later time without closing the exe it will not show your edited entries! But if you close the program and open it again, your edited entries should be there!

What do you mean with that? Yes, both file have the menu soundtracks in it, even with the same ids. character_ss (maybe ss = superstar select)x_m.pck also has entries from ra_m.pck!

Ah, that's good to know.  I figured it might have been related to that.  With the menu music, when I found it in the sfx_m.pck that's where I typed my own description, and had never opened the game_mode_m.pck file, but it already had my descriptions there.  That's where I also noticed it also copied the Coach Bloom descriptions I typed in the other file, but included the additional lines for the Commentary Cut Scenes.  I typed those descriptions into the game_mode_m.pck, but when opening it again later, those descriptions were gone.  Thankfully there were only about 8 lines or so and easy to re-do.

I opened a few of the character_ssX_m.pck files that I had never looked through before, and noticed a lot of the JoJo Ring Announcements are listed there and also brought in my text typed in the ra_m.pck file.  So I assume since the IDs match, it just loads the text from the .xml file even though they're listed in two separate files.

I have a problem with the tool, when I try to convert a theme song to wem from mp3 it keeps saying, "File 0 convertion to wav failed. Please make sure to run this tool with administrator rights" what should I do?

4 hours ago, TheKreator said:

Ah, that's good to know.  I figured it might have been related to that.  With the menu music, when I found it in the sfx_m.pck that's where I typed my own description, and had never opened the game_mode_m.pck file, but it already had my descriptions there.  That's where I also noticed it also copied the Coach Bloom descriptions I typed in the other file, but included the additional lines for the Commentary Cut Scenes.  I typed those descriptions into the game_mode_m.pck, but when opening it again later, those descriptions were gone.  Thankfully there were only about 8 lines or so and easy to re-do.

I opened a few of the character_ssX_m.pck files that I had never looked through before, and noticed a lot of the JoJo Ring Announcements are listed there and also brought in my text typed in the ra_m.pck file.  So I assume since the IDs match, it just loads the text from the .xml file even though they're listed in two separate files.

Yep that's true. SE matches the entries with the sound ids. So if you open another file with the same ids it will use your descriptions which you have previously created for that. It doesn't matter which file it is. So it would save you some time if files have the same entries. By the way I will never understand why Yukes is so lazy to use the same files in multiple archives... Nobody knows which of them the game actually uses.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NeilStuart said:

Can anyone point to me the files for Jojo's caw names announcement lines as well as the superstar names announcement lines?

They're all in the ra_m.pck file which I indexed.  When you open that file (if you have the newest version of Sound Editor) you'll see all the descriptions and can sort it alphabetically.  Then just look for the specific name you want to replace.

There are a few names that sound identical but are spelled differently in the menu (and in some cases as I was working through the list, I spelled them differently.)  And there were many names I have no idea what they are or how to spell, so I did my best guess.  You'll see (?) in some descriptions which usually means I wasn't too sure, but guessed the closest I could.

• Like 1

Sound Editor 1.1.0 has been released!

For updates use the internal update tool. For a fresh install use the provided setup, which is up in a few minutes.

Changes in this version:

- Added all new entries to the data.xml file, provided by @TheKreator! Please support his work, because he has done a lot of work!
- Tweaked the datagrid view column width
- Left tree menu is now a bit smaller, which adds more room to the grid
- Fixed a bug with the sound converter tool, which tries to add track gain option to a wav file, which is not supported by mp3gain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

great Job man, i appreciate your work.

But i have a little problem. My game crashes when i want to edit an entrance. I followed your instructions and converted one mp3 file to wem and i replaced the same song as you in the sound editor. 

What could i've done wrong? 

Please help me out :/

37 minutes ago, GermanCyborg said:

Hi,

great Job man, i appreciate your work.

But i have a little problem. My game crashes when i want to edit an entrance. I followed your instructions and converted one mp3 file to wem and i replaced the same song as you in the sound editor. 

What could i've done wrong? 

Please help me out :/

I don't think that it has something to do with the replaced sound... Do you have other mods installed? And have you cleaned the chunk cache file?

@TheKreator

Sound Editor 1.2.0 has been released!

For updates use the internal update tool. For a fresh install use the provided setup, which is up in a few minutes.

Changes in this version:

- Added a "copy id" option and shortcut (shortcut key "C")
- Added a "Preview all" option which plays all sounds from the currently selected position in the grid with a duration of your choice (which can be set in the settings) (shortcut key "A")

Edited by TheVisitorX
  • Like 1

@TheKreator

Sound Editor 1.3.0 has been released!

Changes in this version:

- Changed the way how SE applies output filters - It will now remember the search settings when change the sort order in the grid
- Added extension output filter (filter grid by *.wem or *.bnk files)
- Fixed a bug with key-event-handling in 1.2.0

• Glorious 1

@TheVisitorX I love the new auto-play preview feature!  Would it be possible to add a 1000 ms option, or even 500?  The 2 seconds works pretty well, but an even faster option would be nice (if the player can support it) for quickly identifying those JoJo voices.  :D

Also, thank you for implementing this suggestion so fast!  It will really enhance the time it takes to catalog all these files (and hopefully will prevent some carpal tunnel disorder on my wrists from all the repetitive keyboard shortcuts and typing I've been doing lately!)

EDIT:  Also some suggestions for further improvement:

While in auto-play mode, as the highlighted row being played progresses, it would be nice if the list would scroll as well.  Currently, it plays past the visible area, and then it's tricky to stop the playback and know precisely which file was being played.

While in auto-play mode, it would be ideal if the playback would stop as soon as a key is pressed to begin typing in the description (but continue playing the currently playing file - just doesn't go on to the next line automatically.)  Currently, it keeps playing and the highlighted line keeps going while I'm typing a description, and then it's hard to know where it left off (or if the line I started typing in was actually the correct line.)  Ideal function would be to hear the previews, start typing and it types into the file currently being played while stopping playback at the end of the clip, then when I've typed the description, and hit enter, I would just need to press CTRL+A to restart the auto-play again.  (If that makes sense.)

Thank you again!  This is an incredible addition to the software!

Edited by TheKreator

2 minutes ago, TheKreator said:

@TheVisitorX I love the new auto-play preview feature!  Would it be possible to add a 1000 ms option, or even 500?  The 2 seconds works pretty well, but an even faster option would be nice (if the player can support it) for quickly identifying those JoJo voices.  :D

Also, thank you for implementing this suggestion so fast!  It will really enhance the time it takes to catalog all these files (and hopefully will prevent some carpal tunnel disorder on my wrists from all the repetitive keyboard shortcuts and typing I've been doing lately!)

A value < 1000 ms isn't really possible, it causes the sound to stop. You wouldn't notice anything :D. But I could add 1000ms as an option.

Just now, TheVisitorX said:

A value < 1000 ms isn't really possible, it causes the sound to stop. You wouldn't notice anything :D. But I could add 1000ms as an option.

Cool, 1000 would be fine.   It doesn't seem like much, but will add up over thousands of lines.

Also, please see my updated response above.  I added an updated description of some improvements I see that might be useful if possible.  Thank you again!

I also just discovered the shortcut of CTRL+A to enable the auto-playback also triggered the common "Select All" function which highlighted all rows.  I was then unable to just click a single row, and then the software completely locked up and crashed.

10 minutes ago, TheKreator said:

Cool, 1000 would be fine.   It doesn't seem like much, but will add up over thousands of lines.

Also, please see my updated response above.  I added an updated description of some improvements I see that might be useful if possible.  Thank you again!

I also just discovered the shortcut of CTRL+A to enable the auto-playback also triggered the common "Select All" function which highlighted all rows.  I was then unable to just click a single row, and then the software completely locked up and crashed.

Auto-Playback isn't enabled by CTRL+A. Here are all working key commands:

P = Play
A = AutoPlay
D = Delete
C = Copy
S = Stop (also stops AutoPlay)
E = Export
I = Import

I know it's really uncommon to use "Shortcuts" without the CTRL-Key, but using predefined shortcuts like CTRL + C leads to some trouble.

All shortcuts are working with the grid being selected, but they are disabled if you type something in the textboxes.

Edited by TheVisitorX

Hmm, I don't understand how that works.  As soon as I type a letter, it just starts typing into the description box.  For example, I click a line and just press "a" and it doesn't auto-play, it just types "a" in the description.  (As I would expect.)  For example, if a line starts with the letter "D" I certainly don't want it to think I want to delete the line just because I might be typing "Dolph Ziggler".   So far, I have been using CTRL+<letter> to activate each of these functions.

The actual Delete key works to trigger the delete prompt, so that seems more appropriate than the letter D as a shortcut.  But I'm still not seeing how this works without a key combination otherwise it defaults to entering text.  The CTRL+<letter> has worked perfectly so far except that once instance of CTRL+A selecting all and crashing.

Also just noticed, using ALT+<letter> works fine.  So I think what's happening by using either CTRL or ALT, is that it's taking the focus away from the text entry to then enable the shortcut.  I guess for now I'll use ALT+ instead of CTRL to avoid the earlier situation.  :)

8 minutes ago, TheKreator said:

Hmm, I don't understand how that works.  As soon as I type a letter, it just starts typing into the description box.  For example, I click a line and just press "a" and it doesn't auto-play, it just types "a" in the description.  (As I would expect.)  For example, if a line starts with the letter "D" I certainly don't want it to think I want to delete the line just because I might be typing "Dolph Ziggler".   So far, I have been using CTRL+<letter> to activate each of these functions.

The shortcuts are disabled as soon as you enter something in the text boxes. They are only active when you are outside the text boxes. It depends on where exactly you click in the grid. If you click on "Name" or "ReplacedName", you are in input mode. But a click on other fields triggers the shortcut.

But it is't really a "shortcut", because you don't use the CTRL key.

Edited by TheVisitorX

Hmm, I'm just using the arrow keys to move the highlighted line.  Nothing is in edit mode, but then pressing "a" or "p" just immediately starts typing in the description at that point.  It only triggers the shortcut function if I use a key combination like ALT+ for example.  But at least now I have a workable solution for that so no worries there.

I think the big thing if possible is to automatically stop the auto-playback once I begin typing what is currently being played.  Allow it to finish playing the current line while the description is being typed, then when I hit enter to move to the next line, I can then re-enable auto-play and continue down the list.  If the rows could auto-scroll keeping the currently played row centered for example, that would be incredible, but I can scroll with the mouse wheel as it plays if needed.  Thanks!

Ah, now I could reproduce it. Okay, I did not think about that. When I open a file, I first click on the grid (not on the text column). If I then use the arrows, I also do not land in input mode when pressing "a". This only happens if the text field had the focus previously. Of course it is not nice and not the desired result.. I honestly didn't know anything about this functionality. :D

My way to test it was:

- Click on the grid
- Press a => AutoPlay starts
- Press s => AutoPlay stops
- Edit the line
- Move to the next row (with the cursor)
- Press a => AutoPlay starts ... and so on...

By pressing "alt" key you do the same. "Alt" removes the focus from the input fields.

• Like 1

Of course, just realized using the ALT+ key also toggles the menu options if I'm not careful and going to fast.  Ha!

Been listening to a lot of the lines in "ss5" and surprised how many left over lines from Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler are in there.  It's like even 2K realizes their organizational structure for the audio is an unorganized mess and they just left a bunch of stuff in there assuming nobody would ever see it (or care) as long as it wasn't used in the current game.  :)