TheVisitorX

Sound Editor 2018 [Released: Version 1.0.6]

Interesting. This file is a bit of a mystery this year... I'm not sure if the game actually uses that file and why it exists!? The menu music is also defined in the game_mode_m.pck and that's the file which the game actually uses.

With all the crazy referee voice samples, I can't remember if I ever heard those in previous games.  There's definitely not enough files to have separate calls for every wrestler in the game, unlike the ring announcements.  Maybe they quit using the ref audio (besides basic counts) when they added the referee selection options.  With the addition of various refs, they would have to record a whole new set of lines for each one like the Japanese ref for example.  Surprised they left in all the references to former wrestlers like Punk.

I don't know if it's possible from a modding perspective, but would be fun to figure out how to enable the referee voices during gameplay.  I bet they disabled it because it was almost too goofy.  If the volume levels were just low enough to hear it, but not distract from commentary or other sounds, I think it would be a neat feature.  (And could be super fun to re-record custom referee VO clips and become the referee in your own game!)

The file _startup_audio_pxx.pac is a pretty essential file for the game. Among other things, it decides which pck files are loaded. In addition to this information, there are also sound events, which were previously found in the sound.pac file. It also contains information about Wwise's game objects and settings. And information about the volume and the fadings. As well as pyro-information and  the names of all sound banks. However, I am not sure what exactly is used of it, because once again there are several overlays with other files. Apparently the same file is taken for every DLC and only the information for the DLCs is added.

Edited by TheVisitorX

What are the best methods to dig into that file?  I've not done enough work with Hex editing in recent years, but have been reading tons of historic threads on pac files and extraction.  I'd be curious to find out if there's ways to adjust anything that controls the sounds.  When you mention the pyro info, does that have text associated with the files in the sfx_m.pck?  I just finished going through that file and entering names for sounds that were unique or relevant, but skipped almost all the pyro sounds.  (Found lots of motorcycle sounds for Taker's entrance and T2 Arnold, various chainsaw engine noises for Finn Balor's entrance, and likely the old Chainsaw Charlie entrance, etc...)  I'm so curious about how those clips are triggered by the animations, or if they're all just time based from some code or script we won't be able to access.  Many files I've found recently, like the vocals for wrestlers with speech during entrances are just long files the equivalent length of the entrance, and timed so the audio matches the animation, rather than being a short audio clip triggered at the right moment.  Same with Bray Wyatt saying, "Follow the Buzzards" -- it's a file with a bunch of blank audio up until he says it, so it's timed to his entrances/victory.  But the Wyatt Family intro and end sound effects are short clips (triggered in the entrance file itself, or some other hidden data table.)

Quite a few updates in this newest custom_data.xml --

Fully complete:
crowds_m.pck (both english(us) and sfx) - All Crowd Chants
ssvo_m.pck - Superstar Vocal Taunts, Entrance Vocals
sfx_m.pck - (sfx) Menu Music, Entrance Prop Sounds (Motorcycles, Chainsaws), Wyatt Family Effect, Sting Crow Effect
comm_chatter0_m.pck - Coach Bloom Training Vocals
character_ss6_m.pck - Tons of Superstar taunt audio, A lot of JoJo Superstar Names, Crowd Chants, Entrance Vocals
* game_mode_m.pck - See note below, but also includes Commentary Cut Scene data though after I closed and re-opened it seems to have lost my descriptive text.

Partially complete:
sfx_m.pck (english(us)) - Referee voice overs, counts, etc (About 50% completed)
character_ss0_m.pck - Commentary Specific to Superstars (About 40% completed)

* I noticed game_mode_m.pck includes "english(us)" and "sfx" and both actually reference the Menu Music IDs from sfx_m.pck, and the Coach Bloom audio from comm_chatter0_m.pck.  It didn't appear to save the Cut Scene text I typed, which may be referenced elsewhere and needs to be edited there first...  odd.

Download link for @TheVisitorX

Google Drive Link: custom_data_021518_2.xml

Edited by TheKreator
Accidentally hit post before I finished typing up description
  • Thanks 2

@TheKreator Great, thank you, I will merge your changes when I'm back from work. Regarding your "save issue". All xml files are loaded on start, that means. If you close a pck file which you have edited and open it again at a later time without closing the exe it will not show your edited entries! But if you close the program and open it again, your edited entries should be there!

* I noticed game_mode_m.pck includes "english(us)" and "sfx" and both actually reference the Menu Music IDs from sfx_m.pck,

What do you mean with that? Yes, both file have the menu soundtracks in it, even with the same ids. character_ss (maybe ss = superstar select)x_m.pck also has entries from ra_m.pck!

Edited by TheVisitorX

19 hours ago, TheVisitorX said:

@TheKreator Great, thank you, I will merge your changes when I'm back from work. Regarding your "save issue". All xml files are loaded on start, that means. If you close a pck file which you have edited and open it again at a later time without closing the exe it will not show your edited entries! But if you close the program and open it again, your edited entries should be there!

What do you mean with that? Yes, both file have the menu soundtracks in it, even with the same ids. character_ss (maybe ss = superstar select)x_m.pck also has entries from ra_m.pck!

Ah, that's good to know.  I figured it might have been related to that.  With the menu music, when I found it in the sfx_m.pck that's where I typed my own description, and had never opened the game_mode_m.pck file, but it already had my descriptions there.  That's where I also noticed it also copied the Coach Bloom descriptions I typed in the other file, but included the additional lines for the Commentary Cut Scenes.  I typed those descriptions into the game_mode_m.pck, but when opening it again later, those descriptions were gone.  Thankfully there were only about 8 lines or so and easy to re-do.

I opened a few of the character_ssX_m.pck files that I had never looked through before, and noticed a lot of the JoJo Ring Announcements are listed there and also brought in my text typed in the ra_m.pck file.  So I assume since the IDs match, it just loads the text from the .xml file even though they're listed in two separate files.

I have a problem with the tool, when I try to convert a theme song to wem from mp3 it keeps saying, "File 0 convertion to wav failed. Please make sure to run this tool with administrator rights" what should I do?

4 hours ago, TheKreator said:

Ah, that's good to know.  I figured it might have been related to that.  With the menu music, when I found it in the sfx_m.pck that's where I typed my own description, and had never opened the game_mode_m.pck file, but it already had my descriptions there.  That's where I also noticed it also copied the Coach Bloom descriptions I typed in the other file, but included the additional lines for the Commentary Cut Scenes.  I typed those descriptions into the game_mode_m.pck, but when opening it again later, those descriptions were gone.  Thankfully there were only about 8 lines or so and easy to re-do.

I opened a few of the character_ssX_m.pck files that I had never looked through before, and noticed a lot of the JoJo Ring Announcements are listed there and also brought in my text typed in the ra_m.pck file.  So I assume since the IDs match, it just loads the text from the .xml file even though they're listed in two separate files.

Yep that's true. SE matches the entries with the sound ids. So if you open another file with the same ids it will use your descriptions which you have previously created for that. It doesn't matter which file it is. So it would save you some time if files have the same entries. By the way I will never understand why Yukes is so lazy to use the same files in multiple archives... Nobody knows which of them the game actually uses.

• Like 1