Modding situation

martenslump

Hi everyone,

First off, I'm sorry for the long post but I hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I have just switched from console gaming to the PC, so all of this is still pretty new and sometimes intimidating to work with. However, I am pretty determent to learn how this works and someday being able to give back to this community.

I have been messing around with installing mods a couple of days now, and I run into some situations that I don't get. I started out with replacing titantrons and music. That's not a problem at all. Pretty straight forward stuff. The inserting or replacing of actual wrestlers however proves to be a challenge. I tried a couple of methods, but with mixed results. I hope some of you are able to explain some of these situations, as I don't just want an cut and dry solution, but rather know what happened so I can understand the modding process better.

First off I tried Pozzums WWE 2K17+. I followed the tutorial he posted online to the letter (as far as I can tell) but for some reason none of the mods seem to work. I tried a couple of attire type mods, like with bradshaw for JBL and the Triple H 2001 attire mod. Both were listed in the ch folder, but did not show up or work in the game. After that I downloaded a Jeff Hardy, Al Snow and a Kurt Angle mod. All three showed up in the game selection screen, but if I loaded up the custom entrance menu, the superstar either was not there, or was invisible. Loading a match with anyone of these superstars ended in a infinite loading screen for the match. I have tried this on three occasions with uninstalling and reinstalling the game, to have the game be as vanilla as possible. All three times this happened. The second and third time I made sure I had the superstring file and the empty bin files in place.

After failing to install the mods via the 2K17+ tool, I tried doing it by hand as that worked for the music and tron replacement as well. Here I had some weird results. Installing the PAC file for the triple H attire mod as his first attire (replacing the 02) or his second attire (12 and 14) ended up in an infinite loading screen as well in both cases. Placing back the original PAC files that I had backed up, resulted in triple H using his ingame 01 attire for the actual 01 attire and the DX 1998 one. Weird stuff. But, after placing the mod as his third attire (22 and 24) it did work. So far so good. For JBL I was able to replace his standard attire by inserting the PAC file as 02 and 04. Since replacing these PAC files worked so well, I decided to try and replace Bo Dalles his PAC files with those of a Jeff Hardy mod. I figured since Bo Dallas already has a POFO and MOV file, it would just replace the Bo Dalles ingame model. This however did not work. Trying to replace his original attire also ended up with an infinite loading screen, but inserting it as his second attire made it not show up. Instead, the game loaded the original Bo Dallas PAC file.

Obviously I am doing something wrong. The problem is that I can't find out what. I have found some people on this forum with problems like these, but the solution for them were the things like the sting file, the BIN file, an illegal copy of the game, not having the 2K17 program open, etc. I have followed all these solutions but still run into these problems. I hope you guys are willing to help me out a bit. 

You will have to ensure that the EMD section inside the ch*.pac file has the correct ID (the same as the file name) set inside it in the EMD section. You can do so with a hex editor, or, even easier, name the file correctly (chXXXYZ.pac where XXX is the wrestler ID, Y is the attire number [0 = Attire 1, 1 = Attire 2, etc.] and Z is the attire type [2 = Ring attire, 4 = Entrance attire - if there is no entrance attire, it defaults to the ring attire for the entrance]  use the Custom Character Tools' Mass Character-Pac Installer which will automatically rename the EMD section's ID and attire number/type to the one used by the file name (if you don't use CCT or CHEMD you'll have to do it manually via hex editor).
Also, ensure to not have any .pac files for duplicate IDs and attires in any of your game folders (move backups out of the game folder and it's sub-folders).

Keep in mind that the game only loads .pac files when it starts up, so you will have to start the game. In some cases you may also have to restart Windows in case some Data remains cached.

You will also need valid .pofo and .moveset files with the same ID as the .pac file installed to be able to select and play the characters with the model from the .pac file. To ensure it's the same, load your .pofo and .moveset in the Data Editor and set the Wrestler ID properly if it isn't the same as the one in the .pac file. Also ensure that the .moveset file is using (basic and advanced!) entrance animations you actually have installed (in case somebody set them to modded animations), if not either change them to ones that the game comes with by default or find and install the modded animations. It's a good idea to double-check all the other animations and moves as well, as having invalid ones selected could lead to problems, including - but not limited to - crashing the game.
Then install them via CCT (the game must be running to install .pofo and .moveset files). After that, save the game (change an attribute or something else of a wrestler under My WWE and save it).

As for loading up modded superstars in any of the creation suite stuff, including Superstars or entrances, it's a hit or miss depending on how the mod was made. Some will only appear properly in matches, but not the entrance creator and the likes.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the reply. I will download the custom character tool and try these tips. This has given me a bit more insight into how this stuff works. I will mess around with it and see if I can make some sense of it. Either way I will be posting the results. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Waverider,

I have tried the tips you gave me a little while ago but I still can't seem to make it work. Every time I replace a PAC file with one of the existing ones, I get the infinite loading screen. I installed the pofo's and moveset files as well but with the same results either way. I tried it manually, via 2k17+ and with the data editor but to no avail. I am at my wits end as to what the problem is.