Modding growing pains (but I'll pay the community back)

cloudropis

For many reasons I've owned every PC 2K game but this is the first time I'm actually going to go deeper than music/titantron replacement. For this reason, and for what I personally feel is a lack in documentation and tutorials for many facets of modding, I'm now dealing with a lot of unanswered questions. 

I'd like to make this topic a sort of general questions thread for my personal issues with modding, but I also want to make a big FAQ/Walkthrought out of the answers I'll receive there in order to help others who may have my extremely specific questions. So yeah, if some experienced modder happened to check this thread once every couple of day would be great and it would ultimately help everyone after I make my guide, I hope.

My first batch of questions:

- I have CCT, Data Editor, WWE 2K17+ and Visitor's Sound Replacer. Which one of these is supposed to be sued while the game is running?

- to install a wrestler I put the pac files in the proper folder and install the .pofo, .moveset files with CCT. However, some wrestlers don't have a .pofo and .moveset file, if I don't find one what am I supposed to do? Install a random pofo and moveset and change it later in-game? What happens if I don't install them and start the game? Would it crash when I try to use the wrestler or would the game create two blank pofo and moveset files I can edit myself?

- how do the many slots for mods work exactly? For example, I have a Drew Galloway mod whose pac file is 71902. I know the last two numbers indicate it's the ring attire, the other file ending with 04 for the entrance, and 719 means it ends in the 719 slot (which is pacplus only)? Am I getting this right? If I rename the files accordingly (eg 49702 and 49704) would that install the wrestler in the 497 slot, which is empty meaning I wouldn't need pacplus?

- can I rename a character with any of the aforementioned tools, or is it only done through HxD still?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by cloudropis

25 minutes ago, hovathagod32 said:

I don't think you need to make a faq if you're unknowing in a lot of these areas. Most of your questions can be answered within the PC forums for 2K15/16 & 17 if you search for them. 

Also:

http://smacktalks.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Thing is, I can't know whether or not stuff for the older games works for 2k17 too. For example, even the earlier tutorials for 2k17 itself mention using stuff like cheat engine that isn't needed anymore due to the newer tools.

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't really answer any of my questions except confirming what I know about the nomenclature of pac files :/

Just search the forums.. That way you would've found out that most things from 2k16 works the same. There's app threads for each one that you need. 

http://smacktalks.org/forums/topic/66200-wwe-2k17-alpha-release-ver-00308-title-downloads-added/

http://smacktalks.org/forums/topic/65473-data-editor-for-wwe-2k17/

As well as the modding discord. There's a section called #info that has tons of tutorials, resources and tools that can help you.

20 hours ago, hovathagod32 said:

Just search the forums.. That way you would've found out that most things from 2k16 works the same. There's app threads for each one that you need. 

http://smacktalks.org/forums/topic/66200-wwe-2k17-alpha-release-ver-00308-title-downloads-added/

http://smacktalks.org/forums/topic/65473-data-editor-for-wwe-2k17/

As well as the modding discord. There's a section called #info that has tons of tutorials, resources and tools that can help you.

I know the app threads, obviously, but they haven't been of much help to me. Forum search engines look for keywords, so if I try to look for an answer to any of my questions I'd have to do a site wide search of terms like ".pofo" or ".moveset". I think you can understand how that makes it impossible to find some answers unless I skim thousands of unrelated posts.

The discord is about modding for modders, it doesn't contain any information useful to me as a end user of mods. 

I'm sorry but I can't seem to find the answers I need, I'd really like the direct help of a more experienced modder. I don't think any of my questions even warrant more than a sentence long reply, I honestly think answering would take shorter than repeating the standard "check the forums and the wiki" (sorry if this sounds aggressive, I know you mean well).