Codes.

Status Updates

Future of status updates (give opinions in chat)  

25 members have voted

  1. 1. Should they stay or should they go?



Recommended Posts

Regarding status updates, quite a few people have pointed out they seem to take away from forum discussion and many things posted in them could easily be discussed or are senseless. For the time being I have modified them so that only staff has permission to use them. I wanted to know the opinions of everyone on staff regarding keeping them or completely removing them, so I would like to hear from everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're fun and whatnot but I'm with Aero that some of the random shit can also help gen chat and whatnot.

 

PS: I added a poll to make things easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see them as both taking away from forum discussions, and often providing people with a more discrete way to continue spamming or harassing other users.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only bullying in the status updates is Penguin calling me fat. :'(

(and me calling him a dumb bird...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things like this should always come down to "If you don't like them, don't use them". Why take away features? This place is already bare as fuck.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hasn't Paul said in the past that he could code it so you need a certain amount of rep points to post a status update?

Surely that would be a better alternative than removing it completely. Set it to a high number like 200-300 rep points, that way only older members who like it can still actually use it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's tied to rep points that wouldn't be a bad alternative, unless we can think of a better win/win situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole "it takes away from forum discussion" is complete nonsense too. Giving people more options to discuss things isn't a detriment to the rest of the forum, if anything it's an enhancement. I've always viewed it as a public version of the messaging system, where anyone can join in on the conversation.

Some of the stuff could be in the general chat, but threads should be for more important topics. Threads shouldn't be for people wanting to post a quick thought or joke, that's what status updates are needed for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

people aren't using status updates as status updates though, they are being used as discussions, and they dont get seen by everyone, they are harder to follow and they are awful on the mobile platform. if status updates have to remain, can we block replies? that might encourage people to create topics instead which more people will see and more discussion may generate as a result. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steenalizer said:

Hasn't Paul said in the past that he could code it so you need a certain amount of rep points to post a status update?

Surely that would be a better alternative than removing it completely. Set it to a high number like 200-300 rep points, that way only older members who like it can still actually use it.

I don't have an option based on Rep but I can set them to member groups so people would need X amount of posts before being able to post Status updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, is it even worth saying anything?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Aero said:

people aren't using status updates as status updates though, they are being used as discussions, and they dont get seen by everyone, they are harder to follow and they are awful on the mobile platform. if status updates have to remain, can we block replies? that might encourage people to create topics instead which more people will see and more discussion may generate as a result. 

So our enjoyment of something should be taken away for your convenience?

Blocking replies is just an awful idea, that would completely defeat the purpose of status updates, which is unfortunately what you want.

38 minutes ago, Smacktalks said:

I don't have an option based on Rep but I can set them to member groups so people would need X amount of posts before being able to post Status updates.

If that's the case then can't we at least try that first before giving the forum an unnecessary enema.

Edited by Steenalizer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with fat man

I never use the mobile site. Why should what I use for a bit of fun be taken away because someone else on another version of the site doesn't like it or use it on their version of the site? Again that comes back to "don't like it, don't use it, ignore it". You wouldn't even know it was there, so how does it really affect you?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never even noticed the status updates... so I can't really vote in favor of or against. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the only thing that many people enjoy and the easiest way to discuss shit is being taken away. Isn't the whole idea of a status update to discuss and converse? Christ almighty when I came up with the idea of making "Smacktalks Great Again" I didn't think everything fun was gonna be stripped. Let's take away the private messaging system too! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, GameElite™ said:

So the only thing that many people enjoy and the easiest way to discuss shit is being taken away. Isn't the whole idea of a status update to discuss and converse? Christ almighty when I came up with the idea of making "Smacktalks Great Again" I didn't think everything fun was gonna be stripped. Let's take away the private messaging system too! 

But can't people "discuss and converse" on the forums themselves? If you scroll down the list of forums there are a lot of the subs that seem to have little to no traffic.

If I'm a new person who stumbles across the site I'm not going to know that people are discussing things in status posts. I'm just going to look at the site and think "wow this place is dead, there's only been one new topic in General Chat in the last four days".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, GameElite™ said:

So the only thing that many people enjoy and the easiest way to discuss shit is being taken away. Isn't the whole idea of a status update to discuss and converse? Christ almighty when I came up with the idea of making "Smacktalks Great Again" I didn't think everything fun was gonna be stripped. Let's take away the private messaging system too! 

The issue is that it appears things that used to be discussed in threads in general chat for example are no longer being discussed there, making our forum look completely dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LordJustice17 said:

But can't people "discuss and converse" on the forums themselves? If you scroll down the list of forums there are a lot of the subs that seem to have little to no traffic.

If I'm a new person who stumbles across the site I'm not going to know that people are discussing things in status posts. I'm just going to look at the site and think "wow this place is dead, there's only been one new topic in General Chat in the last four days".

 

Just now, Codes. said:

The issue is that it appears things that used to be discussed in threads in general chat for example are no longer being discussed there, making our forum look completely dead.

 

Utter nonsense. Half the status updates are jokes between a few different people with a bit of back and forth humour. You can't honestly think that without status updates that those will suddenly turn into fresh new topics of discussion elsewhere. The subject material is not even comparable. It's like trying to make lemonade out of bananas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I can put my two cent into this...

.twocents640.jpg




But no seriously, if status updates eliminate shit posting in other areas of the forum, i don't see a need to get rid of them. Not like they hurt anyone, and sometimes it's quite humorous to read.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, GameElite™ said:

So the only thing that many people enjoy and the easiest way to discuss shit is being taken away. Isn't the whole idea of a status update to discuss and converse? Christ almighty when I came up with the idea of making "Smacktalks Great Again" I didn't think everything fun was gonna be stripped. Let's take away the private messaging system too! 

 

If status updates were what made smacktalks great, then it was never great in the first place lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread in a nutshell:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steenalizer... You realise there's a poll? Heaven forbid people see things in different ways. 

Side note, this topic hasn't went off topic yet... Nice work everyone

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aero said:

Steenalizer... You realise there's a poll? Heaven forbid people see things in different ways. 

Side note, this topic hasn't went off topic yet... Nice work everyone

Look at the people who voted to remove it. Other than Penguin and Joey it's only people who don't use status updates that want it removed. You want something removed that others enjoy, when you could just as easily ignore it.

Status updates being kept there doesn't affect you, but having it removed affects those of us who like them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a proposed middle ground what do people think about leaving statuses as a feature, but removing them from the main page side bar so that page real estate could be used for other features?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, LordJustice17 said:

If I'm a new person who stumbles across the site I'm not going to know that people are discussing things in status posts. I'm just going to look at the site and think "wow this place is dead, there's only been one new topic in General Chat in the last four days".

This pretty much describes me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now