GameElite™

Forum Improvements [UPDATE: Default Dark Theme Added]

108 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So Pozzum and I have been talking very closely very recently on the health of this forum and we have agreed we need to make some improvements, this is where we'd like to hear your input.

Fire away with suggestions for making these forums a better place. It's very obvious that the modding community needs sorting and this is the first place we will start. 

Edited by pozzum
Added Note to Title

An obvious one, but reduce the amount of people on the moderator team. Twelve is just too many. I know this has been said before, but some of the current mods only appear once every few months, if at all. 

Codes in particular isn't active enough to be an admin. Someone else should really be in that position if he has other commitments and doesn't have the time.

I'll kick off the jam I guess (guess not, someone beat me to it):

- Dedicated directories for easy access to CAWs and mods.

- More suspensions/bans for leeches who constantly spam the modding sections. There are a lot of people who contribute nothing but feel entitled to everyone. They constantly are flooding threads with random requests and showing little respect to modders.

- Dark theme. Seriously, the bright white of my own pale skin is blinding enough, I don't also need a white forum screen.

- Certain mods have a tendency to throw fuel on the flame and then complain when things burn. Mods/admins should be a bit more conscious of their role and try to diffuse situations rather than incite them.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, LordJustice17 said:

- Dark theme. Seriously, the bright white of my own pale skin is blinding enough, I don't also need a white forum screen.

I can help there.

Hi Paul, I know you're reading this now - it's very promising to see you around again and I'm sure all members appreciate your eyes on this very sensitive issue. Here are a few points I'd like to draw up.

- Review your staff positions, while there are most probably good people in these roles, I don't believe they are well equipped for the roles given to them, simply lacking the responsibility of being neutral in all situation then dealing with it accordingly. Abuse is rampant. Potentially wipe your staff completely and put forward another one of those threads where members put their names forward for a role. 

- Drop this 'Codes forced us to be PG' ruling rhetoric, what are you gaining from it? That attitude will crumble this place. If somebody gets offended at being called a turnip or told to fuck off  congratulate them don't reward it - being offended means nothing. Warnings and bans are meant for more serious issues, such as people deliberately calling another member a racial slur which was dealt with last year.

- Overhaul 'Smacktalks' appearance, it feels old and feels very forum-generic. Dark theme is encouraged.

- Get rid of paid mods before 'those' who I warned you about come down on you. This shit shouldn't be anywhere near a modding community. Paid tools would be a call for you - personally I see capitalism in a modding/cawing community as a big detriment to our hobbies. 

- Encourage people to drop all these petty rivalries and focus more on being a community.

- I understand the situation with your computer and having trouble with the game and mods, regardless, put some more eyes on the modding section with your YouTube channel - you will get a bigger pop using the best mods and shouting about it on social media platforms. 2K15 was hot on this forum and I believe it had a lot to do with your channel.

- Push 2K16 into Previous Wrestling Games.

- Introduce some kind of Smacktalks wiki which I talked to you about. A portal for tools & tutorials rather than having all this juicy information spread across a dozen sub-forums having to be recreated every year.

- Backing the more suspensions/bans.

Edited by Bannockburn

3 minutes ago, Bannockburn said:

- Drop this 'Codes forced us to be PG' ruling rhetoric, what are you gaining from it? That attitude will crumble this place. If somebody gets offended at being called a turnip or told to fuck off  congratulate them don't reward it - being offended means nothing. Warnings and bans are meant for more serious issues, such as people deliberately calling another member a racial slur which was dealt with last year.

Yes, that is fully agreed, and keep it that way. I banned a member last year for racism and now he's back on the forums because he's "reformed", and that was absolute bullshit. 

4 hours ago, Bannockburn said:

I did slightly lie about the forcing of "PG". But he did absolutely that we should be more "civil" and "mature" so fufu got a warning for saying the N word.. Which he says all the time.. :(

Just now, Penguin said:

I did slightly lie about the forcing of "PG". But he did absolutely that we should be more "civil" and "mature" so fufu got a warning for saying the N word.. Which he says all the time.. :(

Wrestling fans civil and mature? That's a new one.

While probably repeating what was previously said....

- Definitely reduce the staff and decide if it needs a cleaning or not. Your staff needs to be able to work together and create a united front for the website, having their best interests in mind at all times.

- The theme was mentioned and I completely agree. The White one hurts my eyes to be completely fair. Darker ones are usually better.

- Be on top of anything related to paid tools or mods. The issue is real and the dangers that come with it to us, as a community, is real and closer than people think. @Bannockburn already "warned" about that and I can add that, from my own information, he is more than right so these concerns are legit to the core.

- I never liked the Request and Help Sections due to the fact that the place gets flooded in an instant and gets harder to get back to people. Perhaps either reducing the topics or combining same questions would be the best and at the same time, delete repeated topics. Mostly to keep it clean and easier to get back to.

- Less egos and more union. On everyone's part, myself included. Our community is capable of way more but we get stuck in useless discussions and constant jabs at each others, one of the reasons I stopped posting on SmackTalks. The mood isn't as great as it could be.

So far this is what comes to mind but I'll be sure be putting anything I consider relevant to improving the website.

13 minutes ago, Penguin said:

If anything this forum has become less civil and mature since he was promoted to admin. I'm not blaming him, but he hasn't exactly done a good job of enforcing his own rules.

You all claim you want better mods... Just pointing out that it's not like it's a paid gig, and there's slim pickings on who would replace any of the mods. There's also a time difference to take in to account, so that factors in to the number of mods needed too.

Seeing as we're pointing out things we don't like... Statuses are bullshit and take away from forum discussions ... 

6 hours ago, Steenalizer said:

An obvious one, but reduce the amount of people on the moderator team. Twelve is just too many. I know this has been said before, but some of the current mods only appear once every few months, if at all. 

Codes in particular isn't active enough to be an admin. Someone else should really be in that position if he has other commitments and doesn't have the time.

This. Personally I'd replace Codes with GameElite or Penguin. GameElite as he's the most tenured active staff member, and arguably the most deserving. Or Penguin because he's everyone's favourite.

Also agree withBannockburn's suggestions, and wouldn't say no to an unwanted account or two.

If Codes does want to be an admin but is too busy because of Collage, then an interim admin til he's available isn't a bad idea...

15 minutes ago, Aero said:

Seeing as we're pointing out things we don't like... Statuses are bullshit and take away from forum discussions ... 

Seeing as most of the statuses are by the same person currently, yeah I support that.

Why bother with interim admins? The mods need to have a discussion with Paul to promote one of the active mods to replace Codes, such as GameElite or yourself as HiP suggested.

If Codes or any of the other inactive mods decide to start contributing again then surely they can always be added back to the team if necessary.

I'm sorry but adding pubes to a beard does not count as making a collage. More to the point Codes should not be prioritising that over his admin duties.

Paul should hopefully be back soon to promote his channel and 2K18, so we still may got awhile..

It does too count, Zebra!

Some nice suggestions in this thread, keep them coming.

15 hours ago, Steenalizer said:

Why bother with interim admins? The mods need to have a discussion with Paul to promote one of the active mods to replace Codes, such as GameElite or yourself as HiP suggested.

It isn't that easy as simply promoting any one of the moderators to an Adminstrative position. Keep in mind that various Administrative tasks require a bit more technical knowledge than simple moderation tasks, and moderation duties aren't the primary focus of an Administrator. One has to primarily handle forum settings, possibly some scripting, coding, etc.. An administrator should be chosen based primarily on their qualifications to fit the role. That said, if a moderator has the qualifications and would be willing and able to help out in an Administrative capacity it would be ideal. It just isn't something that should be decided lightly without looking at qualifications, that's all.

Pretty sure GameElite knows more about Codes' job than Codes does.

1 hour ago, Cave Waverider said:

Some nice suggestions in this thread, keep them coming.

It isn't that easy as to just promoting one of the moderators to an Adminstrative position. Keep in mind that various Administrative tasks require a bit more technical knowledge than simple moderation tasks. You have to handle forum settings, possibly some scripting, coding, etc..That said, I'm sure that the moderators that have the knowledge would be willing and able to help out in an Administrative capacity as well if they were asked to do so.

I fully get where you're coming from, but why does it really matter at this point? If Codes isn't active then you're still only left with Pozzum to do those administrative tasks anyway. Everyone needs to start somewhere, you'd be better off giving someone else a chance so they can learn how to those tasks. Not to mention at least then a lack of productivity would be justified in the short term.

Just want to throw in my two cents about promoting people to admin or mod:

It was suggested that GameElite should be an admin because he is the longest tenured mod. I would suggest that admins/mods should not be selected on the basis of longevity, but on the basis of merit.

This is not to say that GE wouldn't fall under the latter. That is a decision for Paul to make. Just a general principle that people shouldn't be granted a role simply because they have been around a long time.

Fellas this is a good thread, let's not derail it with nonsense that could sorted out through PM's

8 minutes ago, DrJoeyMagnumRyan said:

Fellas this is a good thread, let's not derail it with nonsense that could sorted out through PM's

With all due respect, perhaps the behaviour of mods should be an item of discussion. 

Agreed but we were getting into the area of petty unnecessary insults

5 minutes ago, DrJoeyMagnumRyan said:

Agreed but we were getting into the area of petty unnecessary insults

Fair point.

Yeah, and I'd like to apologise for coming across in a violent way or as an attack, I meant no harm... I was just expressing how I felt after a long time of built up anger towards the way the staff has worked over this past year, I understand the replies as none of you would have known that and the insults. I would like to publicly apologise to @LordJustice17

Well, moving aside from all of that, I would like to provide a slight update from the things brought forward in the comments. Below is a list of the things hopefully being put into play very soon. 

• A new dark theme becoming an option.
  • Directories for easy access to Caws and Mods.
  • Top downloads of mods.
  • Rules against paying for mods.
  • A wiki page for the modding scene to make things easier with tools and mods, etc. 
  • Banning and suspending more spammers and pirates. 
  • Suspensions will only occur for more serious events, eg. Racism, bullying and so on.
  • Staff conversing more and making the community great and welcoming again.

What happened a moment ago on this thread is a prime example of what needs to stop and I was the problem that time so I apologise.