Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jitz

Mass Effect Andromeda

10 posts in this topic

I think it's getting an unfair wrap, comparing it to the original trilogy when really it is it's own thing. That being said, I'm a fan of Dragon Age Inquisition, and the games share the same engine and same play structure.

There are some wonky animations though, and in an early scene that's meant to convey sadness, my character just looked like she needed to take a shit. Oh and also I started as the quick start chick, but after the first cutscenes thought she looked a little too downy for my tastes, so I switched to the quick start guy, and he was full douche. So I just went back to downy. Point is, the characters look a little funky and I couldn't be bothered creating one.

I spent a while creating mine, and tried my best to make him look like all of his chromosomes were present, but he still looks derpy in 8/10 situations. It's not really a big deal for me, however the graphics are really lacking in general I think. Overall the first 6 hours I played have been pretty good, but nothing overly special. So far I feel like the controls aren't all that great, and neither is the combat to go with it - maybe I just need to get some better weapons. The supporting characters have so far all been a bit shite too. I'm expecting it to drastically improve.

I stopped at the difficulty screen for about 5 minutes deciding how I wanted to do this. I find putting the difficulty up a setting on 80% of games people find boring makes them much better. So I'm playing on hardcore, not even insanity, and already you can't just stand and shoot like a muppet or the grunts will destroy you. You have to take cover, flank, use abilities and take shots when you can. You know, actual combat. It was the exact same in Witcher 3 combat, you had to put the difficulty up for it to be smart and fun.

I went for the second highest difficulty, as that was what I was used to on the previous games. I've not really found dying to be much of an issue - other than a few times when I've pushed B for melee attack out of instinct and boosted out of cover - I just think it's not the most fun gameplay. Despite past Mass Effect games having somewhat more basic gameplay, I found it much more exciting without all the jumping and hovering through gunfights. Plus the power wheel was way more conveniently implemented on the original trilogy.

Good riddance to the power wheel, it would be at odds with this combat anyway, which is all about jumping, dashing, and hovering. This system forces you to play to your play style, pick three skills that compliment it, and make it happen. Don't go into the menu mid fight and fuck around with skills like a lot of the reviewers did, and complain about the menu. You pick a specialty, load out to compliment the specialty, skill up to compliment your play style and use the right gun for the right situation. You can't play it like the original trilogy and be a jack of all trades.

And definitely jack up the difficulty.

I've generally picked a sentinel from the start, so I'd expect a difference from that character type to the next. Two mapped powers is silly, when every class has that. There should be a differentiation, and that comes from the power wheel.  All character types play the same in this game. The power wheel gave you the choice of your class and how it handled combat. Now, you're just stuck with a very mediocre character who barely changes. Choice is what made the original trilogy great, and there's little in this.

i never used more than 3 powers at once anyway.

There's plenty of uses for more than 3 powers on hard and above, but the game lets you have 4 profiles, so you actually have 12 powers. Setting up those profiles for a variety of circumstances and combo detonations is the key to the battle system. Long range combat with combat powers and barriers, closing distances with incinerate and charge, AoE biotic combos and the remnant VI is great for decoying healing. All this can be swapped on the fly.

I just finished the game a week ago, it has major issues, I'm glad they're re-evaluating the sequel because another like this would kill the series. The combat system is fucking amazing though, if anything it needs more enemy types to stretch it further.

I just don't think having profiles was a particularly good way to go. I like to choose a class and stick with it, and have those classes all actually different so that your play through can be different in terms of gameplay should I ever want to go through again (not likely for this game tbh though). 

I finished about a month ago. I say finished, I got 93% completion, but like fuck was I gonna go out of my way to blow up canisters and get caches spread across those massive worlds. Did all of the missions and side missions and that was enough. I enjoyed it, but at the same time it was a big let down coming straight from completing the original trilogy again a few weeks before.

I think this game got a lot more shit than it deserved though, cause it was a fun game. It just lacked in the story depth a little for me.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:11 AM, jitz said:

There's plenty of uses for more than 3 powers on hard and above, but the game lets you have 4 profiles, so you actually have 12 powers. Setting up those profiles for a variety of circumstances and combo detonations is the key to the battle system. Long range combat with combat powers and barriers, closing distances with incinerate and charge, AoE biotic combos and the remnant VI is great for decoying healing. All this can be swapped on the fly.

I just finished the game a week ago, it has major issues, I'm glad they're re-evaluating the sequel because another like this would kill the series. The combat system is fucking amazing though, if anything it needs more enemy types to stretch it further.

yeah a friend told me about the issues. he heard about them from a few co-workers. i guess that's why i hesitated on picking it up.

were the issues merely just graphical and facial issues or were there more than that? that was all i really saw at the time i read reviews and such.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:05 PM, fufu ÷ said:

I've generally picked a sentinel from the start, so I'd expect a difference from that character type to the next. Two mapped powers is silly, when every class has that. There should be a differentiation, and that comes from the power wheel.  All character types play the same in this game. The power wheel gave you the choice of your class and how it handled combat. Now, you're just stuck with a very mediocre character who barely changes. Choice is what made the original trilogy great, and there's little in this.

yeah i see your point there. that was what i liked about ME3. i felt the way the gameplay and everything was should have been like that in the beginning.

like you said the character types should feel different. they did from ME 1-3 (well in ME2 i only played as a soldier) so idk. but then again this is the same company that thought it was smart to force you to play an online multiplayer to get the best ending cause you had to have that Galactic Readiness percentage up.