tomwearsglasses - WCW/nWo/WWF Mods; Warrior Updated, Greg Valentine Rhythm & Blues Released

tomwearsglasses

On 9/12/2017 at 9:10 AM, IWL Gamesmaster said:

Hey Tom. Awesome stuff as always.

Any chance you have/will port(ed) your Mr. Perfect mod pack?

Yup!  At this point I've ported all my 2k16 stuff to 2k17.  In fact, this year I split Mr. Perfect and Curt Hennig into two separate sets so there's 20 attires.  And You can find them all within the main download link on the first post.

Pozzum also periodically adds them to 2k17+ (just the attires, doesn't include stuff like entrance videos, name files).  Btw, LordJustice also made an AWA Curt Hennig which you can also find on 2k17+.

17 hours ago, Shreyas 03 said:

Hey man, working on a mod?

I have one attire that was a special request that's pretty close to finished and I'll get that up fairly soon.  Azn also fixed the boots on my Warrior mod, so I'll update that soon.

I have a lot of work stuff going on, which has been been seriously cutting into my modding time.  But I also have plenty of ideas, so when I can I plan to keep making stuff.

3 hours ago, Wizard3 said:

nice work on bobby, been around just very very busy get back to modding soon ;)

Thanks!  I hear ya man.  I'm trying to at least finish up my almost done stuff - but I haven't had the time I've been hoping for to do any major new things.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinkin’…thinkin’…thinkin’…about 2K18.

I’m kinda on the fence, and probably going to wait and see before I buy the game.

From a current Universe perspective, the updates are really nice and the 205 arena and roster members are cool.  But for building anything retro or non-WWE-centric, it seems like we break even or maybe even lose a little bit of ground.

The two big positive draws for me are the additional backstage areas (adds to the ‘Backstage Assault’ feel) and the 8 man match types (adds a War Games element).

Better lighting and graphics are always appreciated but they don’t really affect my interest - and I’m kinda worried that I’m going to have to upgrade my computer yet again to get it playing decently.  

And it sounds like I’m going to hate the promo engine almost as much as this year.  I’d love to be able to do all the things I could with the Create a Story mode from the glorious 2K14 game - like have the NWO show up in limousines and cut group promos, have Mene Gene interview Ric Flair in-ring at the shank of the evening, and have Goldberg end his promos by saying ‘Your Next!’  But most likely we’ll just be subjected to a new set of lame pre-packaged generic dialog from the developers.

Looking at the WCW roster - here are the changes from 2K17 - 2K18:

Added

- Rick Martel

- Paul Ellering (Manager)

- Ricky Morton (DLC)

- Robert Gibson (DLC)

Removed

- Arn Anderson

- Brian Pillman

I think that’s a break even because Arn is such an important staple of all eras of WCW.

Tough to predict on the arena front, since I don’t think there’s an official list.  But without the HOF mode, there’s no logical need for them to create any additional classic WCW arenas.  According to the Smackdown Hotel list: signs point to us losing Halloween Havoc ’96 and Clash of the Champions XXV, but keeping the others from 2K17.

And the graphics changes to the wrestlers makes me worried that the files are going to be structured differently.  If we can’t port all the characters and mods from the last three years, that might be a deal breaker for me.  Hopefully I’m just being pessimistic, things will port nicely, and they’ll announce more features this week.

BTW - if the new game sucks or isn’t good for modding - I’m not going anywhere - just gonna put another year into working on 2K17 mods.  And ultimately whatever game Hova's arena set comes out on will be the de-facto modern WCW gaming experience - so that'll be another determining factor for me.

Wondering how all of you are feeling about the upcoming game so far?

• Like 2

If you take a look at the renders they are largely identical, which points to new lighting. 

In a lot of ways '18 seems like a step back, yet again. I find it odd that Warrior has his Royal Rumble '91 attire but the game features no Slaughter or Macho King, or even an old school Royal Rumble arena. 2K14 seems to have been the last good legends game. And  I agree about Arn, especially as Zybosko as in game.

I think the 8-man matches have potential, but the DLC seems super sparse. Could be a case of sticking with 2K17 - Ideally I'd be interested in making 2K17 a WCW/nWo Revenge game with Hova's stuff and doing something different with '18. 

There's still the original Clash of the Champions arena. We should be able to get Arn Anderson and the other removed characters in with mods, hopefully! I think this game's gonna be really good overall and I can't wait to see what the modding community pulls off.

I wish they'd redo the reversal engine though and at least make it weight class specific.

I would pay good money to get a PC, moddable version of 2K14.  If I'm remembering correctly, WWE'12 - WWE2K14 had the Create-a-Story mode - which let you book entire cards, shows, storylines, script promos, etc.  I loved it sooooo much.

Every year they seem to move the game in a direction where the game has more creative control over the universe than the player, and it makes me miss 2K14 more and more.  I just read up on the 'promo engine 2.0' news and yep - sounds like some in-game wrestlers have character specific animations but still no real control over what they say.  Scott Hall can't say "hey yo", Ric Flair can't "woooo", New Day can't ask you to clap for your world famous double you double you eee tag team champions...  Sorry if I'm being sour, I just hate that after four games we still haven't gotten that level of customization in a PC wrestling game yet.

One thing I wanna look into - hopefully with help because I don't understand the game well enough to figure it out on my own - is to see if we can discover a pofo-like system for arenas, so that we can add them as opposed to just replacing.  If this is possible, then we could port over all the Hulkamania era ones from 2K15, the Attitude era arenas from 2K16, etc.  I've also been trying to figure out more about how the sound files are structured - so that perhaps someday we could add music instead of replacing, and maybe port over wrestler-specific commentary for previous game characters.

Edited by tomwearsglasses
  • Like 2

This is the first actual critical commentary I've read on wwe 2k18 and its so refreshing. As a 99% retro roster dude, I am 100% not stoked for this game. It's taken me this long to just NOW get my 2k17 playable with mods and attires and what not, I'm cool to keep up with it if 2k18 is as lackluster as it looks (to me. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade if you're actually excited. I wish I was too.)

From the looks of it, they've addressed nothing that is wrong with the games (no story, showcase, limited match types, dumbest roster and attire choices imaginable, etc ,etc) and in return they add what?Blacklight and a dumb filter? It's madness.

• Like 1

I'm with you, Just Not.  I'm all about the old school and am just now getting to a place on 2k17 where I'm starting to feel satisfied with my roster. Other than the 8-man ring action, I've seen nothing about 2k18 that excites me.  I'm pretty sure I'm just going to keep modding and playing 2k17.  :)
I also agree with tomwearsglasses about 2k14.  I wish there was a moddable PC version.

• Like 1

I’m not trying to hate on the new game - I really hope the new features are fun and the game is less glitchy.  I’ve been watching a lot of preview stuff this week - and it does look like they’ve made a lot of changes - just mostly in areas that don’t interest me.  Which is fine - I mean it’s not a legends game, so it’s supposed to focus on the current product - and it’s an annual release so it needs to have broad appeal.

The game does seem like it’s going to be a bit better than last year’s - I’m just on the fence as to whether it’s going to justify the full version $90 price tag and re-doing the effort of logging all of the game data (music & commentary, pac files, etc.) necessary to really branch out the game via modding.

For me, I think the decision is really gonna be based around how well all of the amazing existing community mods port over.  I’m still really liking the 8 man match options (though I just discovered no 8 Man Cage or Cell options - so no Wargames *tear*) and expanded backstage areas.  I’m also intrigued by the match creator.  For now I’m gonna keep my eye on it and try to find it at a decent sale price.

WCW Warrior Updated!

Huge thanks to @AznBlusuazn for fixing the boots and tassels animation for the WCW Warrior mod.  I updated the pack and added it to the download link.

WWF Greg Valentine - Rhythm & Blues Attire Released!

35a8as8.jpg

Requested by @MatMania - this one replaces the default Greg Valentine with his Rhythm & Blues gimmick attire.

• Like 8

On 04/10/2017 at 4:07 PM, tomwearsglasses said:

I would pay good money to get a PC, moddable version of 2K14.  If I'm remembering correctly, WWE'12 - WWE2K14 had the Create-a-Story mode - which let you book entire cards, shows, storylines, script promos, etc.  I loved it sooooo much.

I had it for the X-Box and LOVED the idea of Create-a-Story, but it was always buggy and I could never get it to work. The main problem with these games is that they're annual - you hope they will fix bugs and other issues but they don't because the players are already talking about next year's game.

I'm happy to see that we are so NOT alone when it comes to our opinion that the Monday Night Wars Era was the last great era of Wrasslin', if not the greatest. I personally think a Monday Night Wars centered game would be a smash hit, but the suits and the millenial fans alike don't understand the difference between "old" and "classic" and for them it's always about NOW. Heck, the "WWE" (I still can't accept that name) has a show called "NXT", as if they're saying, "It's not even about now! We're so current, we're taking you into the FUTURE! That's even better than current!"

• Like 2