Game freezing when using a controller on PC?

Tidal

This issue has been bugging me for a while and I can't seem to find an answer online so was hoping someone here might be able to help me.

Basically, if I start WWE 2K16 with a controller (tried Xbox One and PS4) connected via USB, the game freezes about every 5 seconds for a second or so (even in menu's), then carries on. If I unplug the controller or start the game without the controller plugged in it runs fine so I think it's definitely the controller. This is a new issue as I've been able to play with a controller fine since release. The same thing happens on WWE 2K15 but I can run Rise of the Tomb Raider (also on steam) without any problems.

I've tried uninstalling drivers and stuff but to be completely honest I'm not entirely convinced I did it right so I'm happy to try that again if anyone could walk me through that process.

I've already tried changing the RAM and tried it on 2 different hard drives. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Steam and the game with no change.

Just seems so strange that it's only the WWE games having issues hence why I'm posting here.

If anyone has any thoughts or tips that could help then please let me know. Thanks

I have actually never heared of those issues :/ Just wait the few days till 2k17 an try again. PLay with with the keyboard in the time till 2k17 its actually a really good controll scheme

I'm thinking though with it happening on 2K16 and 2K15 it's probably gonna be the same on 2K17 too, so trying to troubleshoot in preparation. It must be some kind of driver issue with the controllers or maybe a problem with the USB ports. :(

Think I've found the culprit. After trying just about everything else with no success, I unplugged the ethernet cable and suddenly there were no more freezes. Also works if I disable the network adapter in Device Manager. I've tried updating the driver and rolling back to an old version and I still get the problem, but it works if i disable it or just unplug the cable.

It's a workaround, not a solution, but at least I can play for the time being.

Think I've found the culprit. After trying just about everything else with no success, I unplugged the ethernet cable and suddenly there were no more freezes. Also works if I disable the network adapter in Device Manager. I've tried updating the driver and rolling back to an old version and I still get the problem, but it works if i disable it or just unplug the cable.

Hm. Do the Ethernet Controller and the USB ports share the same IRQ, DMA and other resources? Normally these issues only happen with older mainboards and older versions of Windows. If so, that could be the issue. Not sure how you could solve that, though, maybe play around with the BIOS.

If it's an older Atheros-based NIC and you're on a modern version of Windows (8,10, for example), it could very well be the ethernet driver. Unfortunately, some older Atheros based products don't have proper Windows 10 drivers and they just don't work right in Windows 10, which can lead to general freezes, etc..

Since it worked for you earlier, perhaps the driver has been replaced by one that doesn't work well with your hardware. Try the roll back option in device manager. Perhaps an option would be to disable/uninstall your NIC and buy a modern add-in Intel NIC or such instead that is certified to work on your OS of choice.

Hm. Do the Ethernet Controller and the USB ports share the same IRQ, DMA and other resources? Normally these issues only happen with older mainboards and older versions of Windows. If so, that could be the issue. Not sure how you could solve that, though, maybe play around with the BIOS.

If it's an older Atheros-based NIC and you're on a modern version of Windows (8,10, for example), it could very well be the ethernet driver. Unfortunately, some older Atheros based products don't have proper Windows 10 drivers and they just don't work right in Windows 10, which can lead to general freezes, etc..

Since it worked for you earlier, perhaps the driver has been replaced by one that doesn't work well with your hardware. Try the roll back option in device manager. Perhaps an option would be to disable/uninstall your NIC and buy a modern add-in Intel NIC or such instead that is certified to work on your OS of choice.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, how do I find out if they share the same IRQ, DMA etc? I am running Windows 10 and the motherboard is a Gigabyte H97-HD3. Also as an update, I bought a PCI-e Ethernet card and tried that and had the same problem. I also tried rolling back to the old drivers and none of them fixed it. However yesterday I took the wifi card out of my other PC (Hackintosh) and put it into my gaming PC and that 'fixed' the problem. So as of now I have internet so it's not that big of a deal, but I'd still like to know what the problem is and hopefully fix it.