[Solved] Strange "lighting bug" with AJ Styles inring attire

phoenix66

Hi there.

I discovered a strange bug with AJ Styles inring attire when using him in 2K14:

2whvTe.jpg

The entrance model and others from 2K17 seem to work fine.

But AJ's inring model seems to mirror the scene on his skin during a match and highlights/replays, just like a skin coloured titantron.

I tried to remove the animations via X-Rey, remapping the UV coordinates with 3DS Max. But I can't seem to fix this problem.

Does anyone have an idea or a working AJ Styles inring attire?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by phoenix66
Problem solved

Glad to see someone else mention this. I picked up on this during the brief bit of the game I've played so far but haven't gotten around to exploring what's up yet. Only saw it in 2K17 itself, so I wasn't able to pause it or zoom in to really see what's going on. Thought it was just, like you said, a lighting deal. But for it to reflect other parts of the texture is strange.

One theory I had is that it seems to only happen in places where the skin would wrinkle or flex. I don't know if you've come across them before, but certain wrestlers have normal-like MFxx.dds textures that provide additional definition (think Triple H as he does his water-spit and flex apron deal during his entrance) to them. I was thinking something with those textures may be off. Typically, when the game pulls from other textures like that (I'm guessing the texture on the glitched-out areas change from time to time too, yeah?), at least from my experience, it's because the game's trying to load up a texture assigned to the model that isn't there.

I've yet to get around to taking a look at his files given the current state of how we need to go about doing so, but towards the end of every YOBJ is the list of textures assigned to it that it'll pull from. Check for any references to a MFxx (with the 'xx', of course, being a placeholder for whatever numbers may follow it) texture. If there are any there, try and zero fill all instances of them and see what happens. Same goes for the 'wrinkles_n' texture, as I've noticed it happening with his face as well.

I searched every reference of MF from MF00 to MF12 in the 0000.yobj and zeroed all instances. As well as the wrinkles_n. But no success. The strange effect still happens with no sign of any change.

You're right though, it seems the effect only occurs, when there is some sort of flexing the muscles. The effect happens on different bodyparts depending on the movement of the model.

There is an entry called "ch_reflect", as well as "ch_skin" and "ch_skin_flex" in the yobj. But zeroing those instances (either the text itself or the hole "block" from FF to FF) just crashes the game when loading the model.

Another strange finding which reminds me of a similar problem we had back then with the WWE'12 models:

When starting a 1vs1-match and choosing AJ Styles on the left side (either as AI or player), the bug occurs.

When starting a 1vs1-match and choosing AJ Styles on the right side (either as AI or player), the bug is gone and everything is fine.

So that means, when AJ is the first model to enter the ring, the problem occurs.

As long as he isn't the first one, there is no problem.

Although the WWE'12-fix didn't work yet (at least the way I tried it manually and via X-Rey), it could be a similar solution.

Will have another look tomorrow.

That's an interesting find, phoenix.

Adding to my previous theory, I had a chance to check out his files today and I'm not seeing any MFxx or wrinkle textures which supports what I was getting at before, with the game trying to pull from textures that simply aren't there, causing it to display random segments from other textures. Haven't had a chance to do any testing in resolving things, but if I do I'll follow up with any results.

Thanks OverThe Edge.

I tried several things with the texture references in the yobj.

First, I compared it to other WWE 2K17 model yobjs that work.

Although the order of the referenced textures differ, they mention the same textures.

So one thing I tried was changing the order of the references to see what happened. Result: instead of some skin parts having the bug, the whole model started to work as a 'titantron', mirroring the scene.

Therefor I thought the order of the texture references could be the problem.

But after trying several combinations, that didn't solve the problem either.

As backup plan I even thought of 'remoddeling' his entrance attire into his inring attire by hiding his entrance jacket. But that would mean I would have to remodel his whole upper body... ;)

So... if we can't come up with any more ideas/solutions within the next weeks or so that could be an option (maybe with the help of a CAW-object). At least if there aren't any other models with the same problem...:D

This far I've only seen it on AJ.

Although it can be seen very clearly after importing him in 2K14, this bug with his model happens in the original 2K17. If you have a look at his upper body,  it occasionally happens there. Not as much as in 2K14, but it's already there...

I have extracted all bpe files from AJ wwe2k17 model but when i choose all bpe files to create a new pach file using xpacker for some reason the new pach file not include the 2710.bpe file

Anyone knows how to add the 2710 slot into a pach file?

thansk

Edited by motishow

Hi motishow,

the problem is the order and naming of the bpes. They have to be in numeric order and every name has to be in there only once.

The hair bpe for example has to be named 2710.bpe. Yours had only the name 0010.bpe and was in the pach twice.

I renamed your bpes and put them in order. For your entrance pach I remade three versions: one with the hood up, one with the hood down and one with both versions of the hood at the same time.

So you can choose which version you like best.

All pachs work in 2K14, the inring pach has the lighting bug, as I can't fix it yet.

But if you choose AJ on the right side (as second wrestler to enter the arena), the bug doesn't happen.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/crwze4kq1v99oc3/AJ_Styles.rar

No problem.

Glad I could help.

Renaming them before creating is the easiest way. Then XPacker uses the names you have given them.

Just be sure to select them in the right order (numeric) manually, if the hex names of the bpe aren't in the right order in the filepath.

No problem.

Glad I could help.

Renaming them before creating is the easiest way. Then XPacker uses the names you have given them.

Just be sure to select them in the right order (numeric) manually, if the hex names of the bpe aren't in the right order in the filepath.

You meaning i have to convert to decimal to asign the order? for eixample.

000C------ 12

006E------ 110

2710-------20000

4E22------20002

By the way , all time i add the 2710.bpe to create the pach file the xpacker rename it to 0010 in the new pach file, the same occurs with the files 9C40 (is renamed to 0040) and 9C44 (renamed to 0044) and 4E22 (renamed to 0022). 

You don't have to convert the hex values to decimal, just follow that simple numeric order:

0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 1F, 20, ...

XPacker renaming the files from 2710.bpe to 0010.bpe was indeed happening in earlier versions.

I use XPacker 10.4.0.0 and it uses the hex names of the files without renaming.

Another way is to rename the bpe with a hex editor inside the pach. As in many other files (like the misc.pac) you have to switch the name (for example 2710 has to be written 10 27 in the pach file).

The names of the included bpe can be found right at the beginning of the pach file before the first text "BPE". I have highlighted some examples for you:

OegCOO.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been solved or not. What's interesting is that what is being projected on AJ is actually what the camera sees. When I was doing the replay after the match, and moved the camera to look at the entrance ramp from over AJ's shoulder, I could see AJ and the entrance ramp on his back. I'd guess it's doing some sort of reflect effect incorrectly, pulling from file x instead of file y. I have the issue no matter which player I am, so it doesn't seem to be exactly the same as the wwe '12 issue (at least with my console which is an xbox360).

Sadly, I haven't found any solution.

You're right, that "camera" effect is happening in almost every game mode.

The only mode it doesn't happen on my XBOX360 is in 1vs1 mode, if AJ is the second player.

Currently I'm using his entrance model as inring model as it is working without said effect.

The only thing I know is it has to do with his 0000.bpe. All other changes (changing the alpha, normal, color, other BPEs like 0028, 0050) did nothing to change the "camera" effect.

That problem has even been mentioned in the official 2K-Patch-infos for the last gen versions.

But at the moment, I have no idea how to solve this and would appreciate any help on this matter...

Hi there,

just wanted to let you know I've contacted 2K and informed them about the bug with AJs inring model in the XBOX 360 version of 2K17 since it's already happening in the retail version.

I sent them a video showing that bug. Although my hopes aren't that high maybe they can solve it with a patch or something like that.

As for now they promised to have a look at it.

And before anyone reads something into this: no, I didn't mention "modding"... 😉

Will keep you updated on their responses...

Hi there,

just wanted to let you know I've contacted 2K and informed them about the bug with AJs inring model in the XBOX 360 version of 2K17 since it's already happening in the retail version.

I sent them a video showing that bug. Although my hopes aren't that high maybe they can solve it with a patch or something like that.

As for now they promised to have a look at it.

And before anyone reads something into this: no, I didn't mention "modding"... 😉

Will keep you updated on their responses...

Got to be worth a try! If we're lucky they might include a 'replacement' model in a future TU which we can rip out

Promised to keep you updated:

2K acknowledged the problem and has their development team for the XBOX360 version work on a solution.

A date for a patch or something like that can't be given as of now but they are working on it.

Promised to keep you updated:

2K acknowledged the problem and has their development team for the XBOX360 version work on a solution.

A date for a patch or something like that can't be given as of now but they are working on it.

Could you also tell them the fact that XBOX/PS3 version of chris Jericho doesn't have arm tattoos and PS4/Xbox1 does?